Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 275983 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #675 on: 20:05:30, 11/12/18 »
Oh no! Worrabugga  :(

I think that's in Australia  :D :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #676 on: 20:06:59, 11/12/18 »
 ;D   silly sod

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #677 on: 22:06:54, 11/12/18 »
Yes, Corkscrew Swamp is in Florida. We went there again early today, followed by a beach walk at Lovers Key - in all just under 8 miles. The wildlife here is amazing. There were 7 ospreys within about 200 metres of beach at Lovers Key, several eating fish in dead trees. There were lots more herons, egrets, woodpeckers, wood storks, vultures, etc. I will have much work sorting out the photos when I return to the frozen wastes of Scotland.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #678 on: 18:58:59, 12/12/18 »
That sounds fab Bigfoot Mike.  Shame it's in Florida (bit too far for a County Bagging weekend camping trip)  :(

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #679 on: 20:37:43, 13/12/18 »
Well, Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary is in Collier County and Lovers Key is in Lee County, so I have bagged two counties.  :)

Today was at JN “Ding” Darling nature reserve on Sanibel Island. This has a 4 mile nature drive, but also plenty of walking and kayaking (if you are that way inclined) - $5 per car and you can re-enter as many times as you like.  Highlights were a green heron, several yellow crowned night herons, roseate spoonbills and a reddish egret. This reserve is highly recommended O0

We followed this with a walk along Lighthouse Beach and North Beach on Sanibel ($5 per hour parking😧). In our opinion Lovers Key has a much better beach and trails than the Sanibel beaches, with much more wildlife and less people.

Florida 😎 isn’t just theme parks, but don’t come here looking for hills. The highest point in Lee County is 30 feet above sea level and that is man made.
« Last Edit: 20:41:04, 13/12/18 by Bigfoot_Mike »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #680 on: 23:29:13, 27/12/18 »
Enjoyed a couple of hours bouldering at Bone hill rocks this morning.  Then had a stroll across the valley to Haytor and Ripon tor later in the day.  Just missed the sunset walking up the back of Ripon tor. Must get fitter.  Beautiful day and an even more beautiful after glow as I headed back towards top tor and the car back at Bone hill. 

One final delight driving home south, accross the moor, roof down, stars lighting the night sky, ursa major obvious above the horizon to my right. What a great day on he moor.  O0

inthebagbud

« Reply #681 on: 16:36:34, 28/12/18 »
25k around the Corralejo region in Fuerteventura . Volcanoes, wild dogs, goats and rugged  coastline. First time I have walked on a holiday and have done over 60k in the week. Only brought my gear just  in case but just couldn't stop once I got started ! Fantastic

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #682 on: 17:56:05, 31/12/18 »
Completed my Mile A Day For A Year Challenge 365 project this afternoon.  We got a flier from work so I headed to Paull for a nice walk along the river bank.  I'm sooooo glad I finished my challenge this year and haven't been beset with coughs and colds like last year  :)

This was my view on my 365th mile:

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #683 on: 20:10:19, 31/12/18 »
Completed my Mile A Day For A Year Challenge 365 project this afternoon. 

Great stuff, Mel    :)    What's your next challenge?    :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #684 on: 23:21:47, 02/01/19 »
Completed my Mile A Day For A Year Challenge 365 project this afternoon.  We got a flier from work so I headed to Paull for a nice walk along the river bank.  I'm sooooo glad I finished my challenge this year and haven't been beset with coughs and colds like last year  :)

This was my view on my 365th mile:

That's a great picture Mel. 

Out again on Dartmoor today.  After my short wizz up HighWillhays yesterday, it was a proper walk today.  And what a beautiful day it was too. 

Started out from lane end car park and headed around to the East side of the Tavy.  Never tried walking that side before.  It's hard work but with great views through Tavy cleave.  I carried on up to Fur tor, for a butty stop. It was supprisingly cold up there today.  Ended up with 5 layers on top for a short time.  Soon warmed up once I started walking again, North to green tor and on to Great Links.  Looking accross to High Willhays, it was glorious up there all day.  Unlike the clag Up there yesterday.  After a cuppa at great links I headed back over to Tavy Cleave via chat tor.  Now on the West bank high above the river I enjoyed arguably the best view on Dartmoor, before heading the last mile or so back down to the car. 

So glad I took this week off to wave Edd off to NZ tommorow.  The weather is so much better than last week. Time for a few more decent walks before Monday O0
« Last Edit: 23:26:14, 02/01/19 by BuzyG »

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #685 on: 06:55:28, 08/01/19 »
2 days off so getting the train to Scarborough and walking the Cinder Track to Whitby and then doing it in the opposite direction tomorrow.

I like doing this walk, it’s 20+ miles of levelish path which is usually reasonably dry and mud free which is a bonus at this time of year.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #686 on: 08:52:56, 08/01/19 »
Sitting here waiting for Mrs N to get her act assembled before exploring a route in the North Devon hinterland.  Have been laid off for 5 days by an injury acquired in our last walk and by some pretty grotty weather (high pressure area, clear skies, 10% chance of rain my a**e! - today is the first time the ground has been remotely dry in days).
Solvitur Ambulando

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #687 on: 10:56:22, 09/01/19 »
Went for a walk upto edale rocks yesterday, tuesday. Arrived late on at 10.45 but the weather was so nice i just had to get out and have a walk. Weather was beaut if the wind was a little chilly. Going was good underfoot esp on the actual paths but i found the grass to be very slippy when i deviated. I actually prefer walking on the bit where the water runs down, find it the most surefooted and secure plus you no 95% of the time what the condition is like instead of occasionally getting caught out and slipping. Managed to make it all the way to the top of jacobs ladder without stopping for oxygen which last time i struggled like hell but that was in different conditions. What with the low sunlight and my react to light glasses like welding goggles, i struggled to see in certain shadows which made for eventful footplacing. Got to the rocks in about 1h50 which is good going for me, had dinner and then ran back to the end of the path after jacobs ladder where the road starts. I've never properly done that but the track was in mint condition and i like to dream that i'm like pav or eoin, ha as if. Took the track down from jacobs instead of the steep steps because my knees wouldn't take that punishment but the track isn't much better and seems to go on for ever, im quite happy with how i felt and how it went and did that in 32 mins, which running with mammut boots on instead of my shoes made for quite sore underfeet.
"if in doubt, flat out"

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #688 on: 16:20:04, 09/01/19 »
Just back from a 13 mile walk around Deerness, Orkney with the dog - unfortunately I had to miss out the walk around Mull Head as time was short, but it was my first time all away along the eastern shore of Deer Sound - a stretch of coast that gets few visitors. Weather was a bit 'flat' for photography though.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #689 on: 09:03:06, 23/01/19 »

Beautiful cold bright morning here in Orkney, with a sprinkling of snow above 500'.

Time to go for a walk - oh the joys of early retirement!  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy