Author Topic: Meribel in the French Alps  (Read 2514 times)

redeye

• Veteran Member
Meribel in the French Alps
« on: 21:57:27, 12/02/17 »
OK so its not really a walking TR more of a blog post with photos and a couple of videos of what we got up to. A fantastic five days in the most amazing place with the most amazing weather. Although it's in the ski capital we didn't ski, just had a good wander up and down the many ski lifts that cover the three vallees area. A couple of short walks and plenty of stunning vistas and Christmas card scenery. A place that I'd love to visit in the summer months sometime as there are lots of walking route, both high and low, to be had.
Having trouble with my photobucket account so I can't load picture's on here for the time being. Not used it for ages so maybe it's changed :-\ but plenty on my blog if you're interested 
https://aredeyeview.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/meribel-french-alps-january-2017.html
« Last Edit: 07:50:56, 13/02/17 by redeye »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Meribel in the French Alps
« Reply #1 on: 12:11:52, 13/02/17 »
Glad you enjoyed it. I've hiked through a few ski resort areas and villages in the summer months, can be really weird places, especially the specially made ones. Often strangely desolate and reminds me of what I think places will look like when the world comes to an end! Totally different in the winter no doubt.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:59:54, 13/02/17 »
......ski resort areas and villages in the summer months, can be really weird places, especially the specially made ones. Often strangely desolate and reminds me of what I think places will look like when the world comes to an end! Totally different in the winter no doubt.
After several summer trips we once decided on a few days in Chamonix at the beginning of October. Bad decision: they all clear off for a well earned break after the summer season has finished and before the winter commences.
If I recall right - even Snell was shut as well as many other places. Still, the weather was good and we had plenty of walking to do, just less choice for food/drink afterwards.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:07:10, 13/02/17 »
I have spent many weeks skiing the area over the years and have often thought it would make a great place for walking, especially if they were to run the odd lift in the summer which apparently they do! https://www.merinet.com/lifts/summer-dates
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:10:07, 13/02/17 »
After several summer trips we once decided on a few days in Chamonix at the beginning of October. Bad decision: they all clear off for a well earned break after the summer season has finished and before the winter commences.
If I recall right - even Snell was shut as well as many other places. Still, the weather was good and we had plenty of walking to do, just less choice for food/drink afterwards.

The French are very regimented about when you should and should not do things.  I have found ski stations closed despite an abundance of snow and tourist resorts deserted and closed because it is not "the season"
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:48:20, 13/02/17 »
Absolutely right - I have just got back from a few days in the Chatel area.  Our chalet host was telling us that the local authorities pay the lift company to run the lift system for a set period, around mid December to late April.  However, if the day before the lifts are due to shut there is a major dump of snow and people queueing up to ski on it, the lifts shut anyway.  I guess it gives certainty for the town and the workers but is must be frustrating for the local businesses if, like last year, there is an abundance of late snow.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:32:51, 13/02/17 »
Thanks for the replies  O0
My son is working the season out there, third year running, and the season starts from late November/early December and finishes late April. They did have to get the snow machines out for a week or so in December as there was no snow but as I mentioned in my blog they had a dumping of the stuff early January. In fact before the snow came he was sending us pictures and skypeing from a very green looking ski resort!! They have just had another couple of feet of snow so it's all looking good out there now. He was telling me that most places do shut down at the end of season but there are one or two place in  and around the 3 valleys that are open as are a few ski lifts. We were told if we planned on staying in the summer to do a big shop at a supermarket to make sure we have enough provisions to last a week. Looks a great place to be away from it all though  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy