Author Topic: The Cotswold Way national trail - Summer 2017  (Read 1943 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
The Cotswold Way national trail - Summer 2017
« on: 19:28:03, 07/02/18 »
Am updating my website to include my recent West Highland and Great Glen Way walks and realised I hadn't finished my Cotswold Way walk on it, so have done so now. You can read about it here....

http://www.brians-walks.co.uk/cotswold-way.html

Or just look at the photos here.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/142048028@N03/collections/72157681971391044/

It was planned for a 6 day walk in the Summer but ended up being done in 2 halves, the heatwave during the first half of the walk saw me finishing at Painswick and returning to complete the walk a month later, in cooler weather. Walking during the heatwave, I wasn't enjoying it like I normally would and was really suffering and feeling unwell in the intense heat and just trying to get to the end each day and thinking about escape plans rather than enjoy the views, which is the main reason I do the walks.

The Cotswold Way for me was a nice walk and certainly very green but not as good as most of my previous walks (just my opinion) but it passed through some lovely villages along the way with their nice houses, churches and monuments as well as some nice scenery from the ridges.

Here are a selection of fine erections on the Cotswold Way, fnarrrrr fnarrrr

Broadway Tower

Stanway House

St. Marys Church in Painswick

Dursley Town Hall

Tyndale Monument

Wotton-Under-Edge Church

Somerset Monument

A folly built for owls and swallows to nest in

St. Adelines Church in Little Sodbury

The Obelisk in Royal Victoria Park in Bath

Royal Crescent in Bath
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: The Cotswold Way national trail - Summer 2017
« Reply #1 on: 19:57:54, 07/02/18 »

Some fine ones there.
I'm looking forward to the WHW report, I was wondering if it was very muddy, or just fair to average muddy.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:13:39, 07/02/18 »
Some fine ones there.
I'm looking forward to the WHW report, I was wondering if it was very muddy, or just fair to average muddy.

I walked 5 days, it rained for 3 and a half, snowed for half a day. It was wet and slushy but not too muddy, mind you it might have been hidden under the snow. Only muddy section I can remember is a section just before the Crianlarich cut off that always seems to be muddy, other parts were easily avoided.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:27:24, 08/02/18 »
Nice pics bricam. You’re right, I think the Cotswold Way is a lovely walk, just very different to say Pennine Way, C2C. It’s a good walk for someone who doesn’t want it too remote or strenuous. Plenty to see along the route, pretty villages, historical buildings, iron age hill forts, and how many golf course does it cross?  ;D  Having said that while actually walking it we met far less people than on the C2C. I agree with you on heatwaves, my feet swell and I get hikers rash so I’d rather walk in the cold and rain.

jea_p

« Reply #4 on: 12:06:43, 26/03/18 »
Cracking pics and read. I was hoping to do the Cotswolds Way last year but opted for Glyndwrs Way as I was concerned about levels of people.

I re-read my post before pressing post and glad I did as I'd managed to put crapping for cracking  ;D

Stube

« Reply #5 on: 12:59:59, 27/03/18 »
I walked the CW three years ago - like the OP I was forced into splitting it into two parts by illness. Fortunately I was meeting my wife at Painswick for a BH break so it was a convenient break point.

To be honest the trail bored me. Too much excessively following the scarp edge leading to pointless meandering. The original CW route was much more direct - it's been lengthened over the years to reach the magic 100 mile mark.

Nice trail report and beautiful photos - much better than mine!

I prefer the Monarch's Way as a route through the Cotswolds - better camping.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy