Author Topic: SWCP - By ear in March..?  (Read 1293 times)

MrMike

SWCP - By ear in March..?
« on: 14:43:12, 07/03/18 »
Hello friendly walking people.

I’m planning on starting the SWCP from Minehead for the last two weeks of March this year and I was wondering how organised I’d need to be accommodation wise?

I’ve done a few national trails before and I’ve always booked all of my accommodation before I go, but this time I rather like the idea of walking until I’m knackered and then knocking on the door of a B&B. Or have a shorter day if it wetting it’s down...!

How possible is that? I don’t want to spend the day worrying about whether I’ll get stuck without a bed. The other option is taking a tent etc just in case, but I’m trying to travel as light as poss (I hear there’s quite a lot of up and down...!)

Any wisdom you could impart would be greatly valued!

Mike

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: SWCP - By ear in March..?
« Reply #1 on: 15:21:24, 07/03/18 »
I did just that some years ago but over a May bank holiday weekend so only needed 2 night's accommodation. Went well.
March is a bit out of season so possibly fewer B&Bs open but if you have 'net access on your phone (not availablewhen I did it) you can always enquire ahead.
I backpacked the rest of it in sections buying food or eating in pubs en route. More flexible but might be rather uncomfortable at this time of year. The 'beast from the East' has gone but we now have the normal west winds and that coast is very exposed.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:54:57, 07/03/18 »
I started my walk on 16th April 2007 and didn't book ahead apart from a couple of places where I thought I may have an issue e.g. Clovelly.  I managed to find a B&B/Youth hostel every night, however I did take a tent "just in case" but never needed it.  It gave me the freedom to do what you are looking for i.e. walk on or stop however you feel.  Clearly the issue you will have is whether B&Bs are open although with Easter at the end of the last week in March I guess that B&Bs will start opening then if not before.  Just looked at one of the B&Bs I stayed at and it looks like they open from 13th March.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:41:52, 09/03/18 »
Hi,
I was going to say that ferries might be more of an issue in March; but; if I read you right, you are going to walk for a fortnight in late March so you will be aiming for Lands End or thereabouts I guess and so you should be ok. I recall that lower Ferry at Newquay may not be running in March so you may have to plod along the estuary at low tide. The ferries on the south side of the walk are a bit more seasonal but I am guessing you wont be doing that in March?
I reckon you will be ok for accommodation and there are several Youth Hostels en route.
I did it in 2016/17; a great walk.

John

MrMike

« Reply #4 on: 07:06:34, 09/03/18 »
Thanks for the advice you three, greatly appreciated. I’ve done a little more research now and accommodation in some places is starting to look quite booked already, so I’m going to book ahead this time around I think.

When I come back to do the south coast, summer and a tent sounds like a plan...

Good point about ferries John, you’re right that I’ll be staying north so shouldn’t be too impacted - hadn’t clocked the Newquay ferry yet though, so thanks for that, I’ll plan around it.

Mike

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy