Author Topic: Absolute no idea about gear. What am I doing wrong?  (Read 4782 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Absolute no idea about gear. What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #30 on: 08:55:56, 28/03/18 »

On longer backpacking  trips over several weeks, the 200gm waterproof shell sometimes only worn twice and maybe only for short periods of time
How often does it rain in the lake district over several weeks  :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 08:59:56, 28/03/18 »
Rather this than be boiling hot and sweating one minute, then freezing the next, but only one jacket... ::) ...to choose from

??? I don't have this problem?

This weekend we both felt either very hot or very cold but it didn't have anything to do with waterproof on or waterproof not on. Beefy had his windproof on, I had my waterproof on. We both took off layers or put on layers at the same time because we had got too hot or got too cold. It was baking in the sun and out of the wind but really cold when the sun went in and you were in the wind, light though it was.

I am very happy with what I wear so I see no reason to change it and have to carry the extra weight of an extra jacket. My current waterproof is a Marmot Precip, had it for a year and a half, cost £67 and worn it every weekend since just about. Still waterproof. I think I have got more than my monies worth out of it.

Just read beefys reply  ;D
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 09:20:44, 28/03/18 »
??? I don't have this problem?

This weekend we both felt either very hot or very cold but it didn't have anything to do with waterproof on or waterproof not on. Beefy had his windproof on, I had my waterproof on. We both took off layers or put on layers at the same time because we had got too hot or got too cold. It was baking in the sun and out of the wind but really cold when the sun went in and you were in the wind, light though it was.
If I wore my waterproof like April does, I would be wet in no time,
I seem to get hot really quickly when wearing waterproofs, I only wear them when it rains because I get lots of condensation building up and I hate that clammy feeling, although both mine and April' jackets have pit zips which help,
These very lightweight waterproof shell type jackets are probably ok with a small daypack, or occasional use, but I dont think they would last long with the heavy rucksack that we carry, although the jackets that we have are not heavy compared to some, they are robust enough to last, when you consider how many wild camps that we do in a year I think the jackets get a lot of use and are great value for money  8)

Rajboy

« Reply #33 on: 09:23:29, 28/03/18 »
Beefys reply, ?
Backpacking trips not Lakes.... Sunny climes further South.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:48:03, 28/03/18 »
Beefys reply, ?
Backpacking trips not Lakes.... Sunny climes further South.
It's nice to see you posting on the forum Rajboy
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pics  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 13:32:06, 28/03/18 »
If I wore my waterproof like April does, I would be wet in no time,
I seem to get hot really quickly when wearing waterproofs, I only wear them when it rains because I get lots of condensation building up and I hate that clammy feeling

I think sweaty boggers should have their own forum and leave us non sweaty folk alone  :D

Can you remember the first walk we did together beefy when we went up Gatesgill Fell on Blencathra? It is very steep going up Gatesgill Fell, almost everyone else was sweating buckets and I was as dry as a bone  ;)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:36:51, 28/03/18 »
I think sweaty boggers should have their own forum and leave us non sweaty folk alone  :D

Can you remember the first walk we did together beefy when we went up Gatesgill Fell on Blencathra? It is very steep going up Gatesgill Fell, almost everyone else was sweating buckets and I was as dry as a bone  ;)
Oi...  >:(
yes I remember you were off up that steep  climb like a whippet  ;D

Rajboy

« Reply #37 on: 18:50:52, 28/03/18 »
Ha Ha Beefy, you already have.. ;) ::) :P

I'm... :crazy2:

From an  :angel:  in disguise....!!!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:18:04, 28/03/18 »
Ha Ha Beefy, you already have.. ;) ::) :P

I'm... :crazy2:

From an  :angel:  in disguise....!!!
Oi.... :tickedoff:
And I thought we were friends  ;)

Rajboy

« Reply #39 on: 20:30:10, 28/03/18 »
 8)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy