Author Topic: Don't we ever learn?  (Read 7197 times)

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Don't we ever learn?
« on: 10:25:01, 22/03/18 »
Do you have anything you often do foolishly the kick yourself - yet again? As an example, I have long since lost count of the number of occasions where, after eating my sanwiches whilst out on a walk, I have packed up and fastened my rucksack, only to discover I am still sat on my foam mat!

jontea

• Veteran Member
Re: Don't we ever learn?
« Reply #1 on: 10:28:42, 22/03/18 »
Do you have anything you often do foolishly the kick yourself - yet again? As an example, I have long since lost count of the number of occasions where, after eating my sanwiches whilst out on a walk, I have packed up and fastened my rucksack, only to discover I am still sat on my foam mat!
;D +1  ;D O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:57:14, 22/03/18 »
"only to discover I am still sat on my foam mat!" O0 +1

I now know what exactly the webbing bit on the back of the osprey is actually for, senile old gits like me. Great place to stuff things in and pretend that that is where I meant them to be all the time. Foam mat , flask,  etc.

I have "lost" at least three flasks while out walking.
Too little, too late, too bad......

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:34:09, 22/03/18 »

;D

Yes, absolutely this! Or just as common, I stand up forgetting it's there and then have to chase it desperately as the wind blows it across the moors... I nearly lost one over the northern edge of Kinder that way.

I've wandered off without my walking poles several times too, although I rarely take them out with me these days so that's become less of a problem.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:46:57, 22/03/18 »
 Not often,only once and it was an expensive mistake.After a long walk I changed my boots to drive home and put them under the cars sill.Being in a hurry to get home I forgot they were there and reversed over them.Not much left of them and one had the top ripped away from the sole. :-[

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:00:17, 22/03/18 »

;D

Yes, absolutely this! Or just as common, I stand up forgetting it's there and then have to chase it desperately as the wind blows it across the moors... I nearly lost one over the northern edge of Kinder that way.

I've wandered off without my walking poles several times too, although I rarely take them out with me these days so that's become less of a problem.

Now you mention it, I left a pair of Lekis behind in Northumberland. More importantly, I once left a Sigg water bottle behind. It had sort of sentimental value, being battered and bent after years of use all over the place, including France and New Zealand. If anyone found it, I really would like it back! It was on this walk http://goo.gl/4eGquU  

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:25:33, 22/03/18 »

Now you mention it, I left a pair of Lekis behind in Northumberland. More importantly, I once left a Sigg water bottle behind. It had sort of sentimental value, being battered and bent after years of use all over the place, including France and New Zealand. If anyone found it, I really would like it back! It was on this walk http://goo.gl/4eGquU
I found a battered old Sigg bottle and was reading your post thinking this could be an  amazing coincidence but I found it near Grey Knotts summit above Honister in the Lakes.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:44:17, 22/03/18 »
A few weekends back swmbo was working, so I packed my pack, grabbed the dog and off we went. Some 8 hours later after a nice walk in cold conditions we arrived home, only to find the front door wide open, I had forgotten to close and lock it after putting the dog in the car. Luckily my area is quiet as nothing was missing, except my brain  ::)
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:13:13, 22/03/18 »
Only time it happened to me was walking the Pen y Fan horseshoe with Wayne, who used to frequent this forum.  I was geocaching at the time and half way up the route between Cribyn and PYF there is a cache off to the left about 50 metres. Wayne waited on the track until I'd got it and it was only when we started back up again I realised I'd left my GPS by the cache. Thankfully it wasn't too hard to find, even without my GPS!
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:18:14, 22/03/18 »
I always put my left rucksack strap on first then when I put on the right strap about 25% of the time my watch strap gets caught in it and I can't move.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:27:16, 22/03/18 »
Ah yes,  the foam mat, a very common one for me! I’m surprised I haven’t actually left it behind

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:04:43, 22/03/18 »
A few weekends back swmbo was working, so I packed my pack, grabbed the dog and off we went. Some 8 hours later after a nice walk in cold conditions we arrived home, only to find the front door wide open, I had forgotten to close and lock it after putting the dog in the car. Luckily my area is quiet as nothing was missing, except my brain  ::)
I’m the same with car doors Phil, halfway up a hill I’m thinking to myself did I lock the car up?
I now say out loud “the car is locked”  :D
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:18:36, 22/03/18 »
This picture is a retrospective view of Dolwyddelan Castle from the west, but whenever I show it to people I say, "And this is where I left my walking poles." :( (You can see them leaning against the gate.)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:37:31, 22/03/18 »

I was out for a walk with a friend who was admiring my mat, she hadn't come across them before.
I did the usual thing of packing up and fastening my rucksack while still sitting on it, and explained that this always happened, surely not just to me, miracle I still had it etc etc.
50 yards beyond our lunch place we turned a corner and there on the ground was a posh blue foam sit mat.  We hadn't seen anyone all day, so she picked it up.
I have a theory that there is a circulating collection of mats that go round and round the walking community.......and I have contributed my share.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:14:57, 22/03/18 »
I could do with a new mat, must look out for one!  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy