Author Topic: Layering for Scotland in June  (Read 1904 times)

Andi86

Layering for Scotland in June
« on: 19:49:30, 24/03/18 »
Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice regarding clothing for a Scottish summer. I'm going to be spending a week Munro-bagging around the summer solstice, hopefully including a hike to the summit of Ben Hope for the sunrise (I know the chances are slim  ;) ) on the solstice itself. I've got most of the kit I'll need but I'm lacking a suitable jacket. To be honest, I'm lacking the knowledge of what I should be looking for in a jacket in the first place!

I have a Craghoppers microfleece and big, weighty ski jacket which work to keep me toasty on low-level winter walks down here in Surrey but the ski jacket will be overkill in summer. I tend to run warm whilst active but soon find myself shivering once I'm standing around at camp/the pub in the evenings, even in summer. I'm happy to take the microfleece as a mid-layer so should I be looking for an all-in-one warm and waterproof jacket? Or would I be better served buying a breathable waterproof for use while I'm active and keeping a separate warm layer (thicker fleece?) in the bag to wear in the evenings?

nesty

Re: Layering for Scotland in June
« Reply #1 on: 19:59:15, 24/03/18 »
Have you thought about a Paramo Bentu with fleece?
Though I appreciate they are pricey.

This situations I find both together are waterproof and pack down well. Separately are both windproof. The fleece is not heavy, but is drizzle/light shower proof
Though it's a layer system so can take or add to the temperature.

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=51FA6FEE-2B57-495C-8CB9-70176819D842

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:43:18, 24/03/18 »

I would go with layers rather than the all in one jacket.  It can be warm climbing up Munros even when it's raining.
Then something warm for the evenings.
I am a great fan of the Paramo gilet.  It's very light and packs up small, and you can throw it on over your jacket when you are in the cold wind at the top of the hill standing around looking at the view, and zip it up as an extra layer for the evening.  But if you've got a thick fleece it would probably do the same job.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:37:19, 24/03/18 »
In June, a base layer/tee shirt, a fleece and a breathable waterproof should be fine. It might be warm and sunny or wet and windy but it won't be that cold. A hat, gloves and over trousers should also be carried. Don't forget a headnet and smidge.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:31:47, 25/03/18 »
Suggest you have merino as your base layer. Try Aldi or Go as they will be much cheaper and just as good, as Icebreaker or Rab. But do check the labels as some of the lighter weight merino (particularly Icebreaker) actually include a high percentage of synthetic which negates the point of buying merino.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Andi86

« Reply #5 on: 15:17:55, 25/03/18 »
Thanks all for your input. Visited my local GO this afternoon and walked away with a bargain!

Chocolatier

« Reply #6 on: 20:34:05, 25/03/18 »
15th June last year I was camping outside Aviemore and awoke at 6am to -3 degree temps, the day before it was 9 degrees, the day after it was 3 degrees, not saying it'll be the same this year but plan for the just incase, those temps weren't forcasted even the day before

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:37:12, 25/03/18 »
Thanks all for your input. Visited my local GO this afternoon and walked away with a bargain!

oh the suspense - what was it?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

RogerA

« Reply #8 on: 11:46:48, 26/03/18 »
The way I do layers is:

Merino or other non cotton base layer
Waterproof outer layer

Between these I wear/carry a microfleece and a lightweight artifical down jacket. (Both of which are light and pack small making easy to carry)

If hot and dry wear just the base layer and carry the others.
If wet wear the outer layer on top of whatever else
As it gets colder then you options to wear microfleece / down / microfleece + down

If you're walking your body will generate a lot of heat so you wont need to wear as much as when you stop - if you're camping overnight you might need something more for the evening before you get in your sleeping bag.

Best of luck - sounds like a lot of fun

Andi86

« Reply #9 on: 20:50:32, 30/03/18 »
oh the suspense - what was it?

Very sorry for leaving you hanging  ;D  I picked up an OEX Roq 2-Layer Waterproof for £30, which will give me the flexibility to mix n' match as outlined by RogerA above. Also grabbed a longsleeve merino baselayer for additional warmth in the evenings.  Now I've just got to pray for at least one day of good visibility to make the long journey worthwhile!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy