Author Topic: OS Maps and Devives  (Read 1417 times)

G4rymw

OS Maps and Devives
« on: 10:06:06, 27/03/18 »
Hi,not well established with the tech gps and online maps so looking for a bit of advice,here goes

I have an OS subscription for a year with all the routing and maps available to view upload etc,when I upload one via gpx it goes straight into Garmin Basecamp I have on my Mac,now my question is could I then upload that from there into a Garmin device or card ,I couldn’t use in my app on phone due to no signal on my walk as I wanted to test it out,also for example a Garmin 64s is available for £230ish but you can get it with full 1/50k mapping for £299,is it better saving the £60, as I’ve got OS can I then use that onto to it or is it not that straight forward,other devices eg Satmap or other Garmin same question,
Still testing out the OS so not up to speed on all of it and gps devices,information much appreciated thanks

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: OS Maps and Devives
« Reply #1 on: 11:09:39, 27/03/18 »
You can certainly send a gpx file from BaseCamp to your Garmin device, that is what it's really designed for, but Garmins cannot use OS maps other than those purchased through Garmin.  I'm not in favour of the OS maps supplied by Garmin, as they are raster maps.  Without going into too much technical stuff they are simply copies of paper maps, so the further in you zoom you more blurred they become.  There are however freely available and free OSM (Open Street Maps) available which are vector maps, these stay pin sharp as you zoom in and I've used these types of maps for many years while walking.
Where there's a will ...

G4rymw

« Reply #2 on: 11:55:03, 27/03/18 »
Ah thanks, didn’t know Garmin wouldn’t upload OS maps,so really my OS subscription now is only for my phone and desktop unless that works with Satmap or is that just the same,seen TalkyToaster maps so they would be better for Garmin, would you be able to upload onto them via usb and device

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:31:39, 27/03/18 »
Satmap can't use OS maps either. Personally I wouldn't pay for TT mapping.  It's based on OSM maps and they generally, as I posted above, are free.  I think TT are the only ones that charge for something others provide for free.  If you search through this site you'll find numerous links to OSM maps, if you can't post back here and I'll provide a few for you.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:30:32, 27/03/18 »
You can certainly send a gpx file from BaseCamp to your Garmin device, that is what it's really designed for, but Garmins cannot use OS maps other than those purchased through Garmin.  I'm not in favour of the OS maps supplied by Garmin, as they are raster maps.  Without going into too much technical stuff they are simply copies of paper maps, so the further in you zoom you more blurred they become.  There are however freely available and free OSM (Open Street Maps) available which are vector maps, these stay pin sharp as you zoom in and I've used these types of maps for many years while walking.

On my laptop using BaseCamp I can enlarge a Garmin Birdseye OS map image such that  1cm on the screen equals 30m on the ground before any blurring is apparent and on my Etrex30 the same image can be used at 1cm to 50m.  Are the raster OS maps you are referring to the ones supplied with the device?  If so the answer is to use Birdseye imagery with BaseCamp if you want to use OS mapping rather than pay for 50k or 25k mapping. ( I use Birdseye OS map images because they should be up to date and I do not need to store mapping of areas I will probably never walk).
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:07:21, 27/03/18 »
BirdsEye Select which is what you're referring to is again a raster map and will blur at some point, but later than the 1:50K mapping.  As for being up to date, it's as up to date as whichever map Garmin used, just like all their maps  ;)
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:26:14, 27/03/18 »
BirdsEye Select which is what you're referring to is again a raster map and will blur at some point, but later than the 1:50K mapping.  As for being up to date, it's as up to date as whichever map Garmin used, just like all their maps  ;)
True but at least I don't have to pay to for the "latest" maps, unlike MemoryMap. You are right about it blurring eventually but the BirdsEye Select 25k OS doesn't blur at any magnification one could reasonably want to use for planning or navigating.
Solvitur Ambulando

G4rymw

« Reply #7 on: 16:10:44, 27/03/18 »
thanks for replies,I have downloaded some off line maps via OS to my phone and then turned off data and they were still there to view,I don't think it will give navigation to as where I am or moving too , but good reference in the map, still my get a cheaper garmin now seeing as they wont use OS,I can get one for back up and recording a route, I will search for the maps you mentioned,

G4rymw

« Reply #8 on: 16:13:42, 27/03/18 »
Do the OSM maps work on a Garmin device if you put them in basecamp and then upload to device

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:25:04, 27/03/18 »
Yes or you can install them directly on your GPS.  Note though not all OSM maps can be installed to your PC for BaseCamp to use. If they don't though BaseCamp will read the maps off your device or any other removable drive.
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:35:04, 27/03/18 »
Do the OSM maps work on a Garmin device if you put them in basecamp and then upload to device

I have the Freizitekarte-GBR and selected CacheMapsUK on the SD Card of my Etrex as back up in case I end up off the Birdseye Select OS mapping that I have also have stored on the card. The Freizeitkarte is enabled but "behind" the OS mapping. I normally have the CacheMaps disabled as information from the CacheMap can show through the OS map and is distracting. It is easy to enable the Cachemap if needed. I can't honestly how I got them onto the SD card now but I am sure sussamb can tell you - I know I can use both sets of maps in Basecamp.
Solvitur Ambulando

G4rymw

« Reply #11 on: 16:38:04, 27/03/18 »

I have the Freizitekarte-GBR and selected CacheMapsUK on the SD Card of my Etrex as back up in case I end up off the Birdseye Select OS mapping that I have also have stored on the card. The Freizeitkarte is enabled but "behind" the OS mapping. I normally have the CacheMaps disabled as information from the CacheMap can show through the OS map and is distracting. It is easy to enable the Cachemap if needed. I can't honestly how I got them onto the SD card now but I am sure sussamb can tell you - I know I can use both sets of maps in Basecamp.
Thanks searching osm map links now

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy