Author Topic: TR Day 2 Spout Force, Scawgill Bridge Sun 25 Mar 18  (Read 1871 times)

April

• Veteran Member
It got colder than we expected overnight with ice on the tent but it did warm up by the time we got up and the ice was gone. The clocks went forward so we lost an hour overnight and we didn't get up until 7.28. We had our breakfast and were away by 9.05 though.

Cloud over Mellbreak and the Loweswater Fells

Leave no trace

Where the MSR had been, just flattened grass and nothing else.

The steep descent from Graystones

We walked down the grass next to the fence on the left, easier going for a while until lumps of slate are reached.

It gets even steeper

We escaped into the Darling How Plantation ignoring the signs saying there was forestry work going on. I had emailed Whinlatter to ask if there were any closed forest paths and roads and got no response. There was nobody working in the forest, we'd been looking and listening for vehicles and people yesterday so we knew we would be ok. I've still not had any response from Whinlatter.

On the forest path through Darling How

We turned right at junction of forest roads to get to the start of the Spout Force footpath. The forest road has become very overgrown here and we had to squeeze through the trees. It also meant we had more of the steep descent to finish at the bottom of the Graystones path when we got to the end of the forest.

Spout Force

We were an hour and 15 minutes later than I thought we would be when we got to Spout Force with the slow descent and fight through the trees

Looking up the little valley of Spout Force

We'd stopped to have some lunch out of the wind and realised we didn't have time to get to the Whinlatter Centre on foot and we thought we would catch the bus at Scawgill Bridge instead. We were feeling tired with the tough route, not much mileage but not easy terrain.

Scawgill Bridge from the Spout Force path

We walked back up Aiken Beck toward Spout Force from our lunch spot near Scawgill Bridge while we waited for the bus.

A shot of the route we came down

Well we actually avoided this bottom bit by veering off to the right on the other side of the wall on the descent. Still horribly loose stones and very steep.

Beefy at the footbridges over Aiken Beck

We got the Honister Rambler bus at Scawgill Bridge back to Keswick. What a great weekend, we hope the weather is as good for the Easter weekend. Our route was Kirk Fell - Darling How Plantation - Spout Force - Scawgill Bridge - a bit of an explore of the Spout Force area 6.75km with 100m ascent.

@ Pleb. There is no need to reply with Deja vu  :D
Hate will never win

photonut

Re: TR Day 2 Spout Force, Scawgill Bridge Sun 25 Mar 18
« Reply #1 on: 13:00:52, 27/03/18 »
Looks like you had a great weekends walking all round.  Love the pic of Mellbreak and Loweswater Fells.

.... I had emailed Whinlatter to ask if there were any closed forest paths and roads and got no response. There was nobody working in the forest, we'd been looking and listening for vehicles and people yesterday so we knew we would be ok. I've still not had any response from Whinlatter.

May I ask, who do yo email to try to find out if there is any work being carried out and therefore paths closed?

Cheers
Lee

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:29:32, 27/03/18 »
Nice pictures again April - I walked up that path onto Graystones a few weeks ago - its very steep!!  I was regretting the large cooked breakfast before I was half way up.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:46:38, 27/03/18 »
I was up at 3am unzipping an icy tent, and  taking pics of the stars :o
Great pics Ape was a fantastic weekend of fun and adventure
Hope the weather is ok for this weekend
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:15:04, 27/03/18 »
Another enjoyable write up and great set of photos, April.  O0

Looks like you and Beefy had excellent weather all weekend, good stuff!   :)

That path down at the end looks pretty grim though...  :o

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:49:42, 27/03/18 »
May I ask, who do yo email to try to find out if there is any work being carried out and therefore paths closed?
Here is Whinlatters web link, contact details are on there
https://www.forestry.gov.uk/whinlatter

I cant see anywhere on the website that has information about any path or forest road closures. Unless I've missed it of course.

Here is the link to Dodd Wood info
https://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/englandcumbrianoforestdoddwood

It mentions the closures over there at the minute, I wonder if they will open for Easter?

Nice pictures again April - I walked up that path onto Graystones a few weeks ago - its very steep!!  I was regretting the large cooked breakfast before I was half way up.

Thanks pdstsp it is steep. One on the "never again" list. Although I have been up and down it before  :D

Hope the weather is ok for this weekend

;D It looks a bit mixed

Looks like you and Beefy had excellent weather all weekend, good stuff!   :)

It was pretty good  :)

Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #6 on: 19:15:21, 27/03/18 »
Thank you for those links April

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:10:29, 27/03/18 »
Great photos and report, as always April.

Yeah I found that area quite tough to walk on. I remember Graystones to Ling Fell being very boggy and pathless. Flippin hard day that.

Funny that......dropping off Lord’s Seat back to the Darling How Plantation, it never occurred to me to check the forest trails were open ::)

They were lucky enough   ;)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:29:06, 27/03/18 »
Lovely photos April, especially the valley of Spout Force    :)   

Rajboy

« Reply #9 on: 05:29:32, 28/03/18 »
All your trips are great April.... :smitten:

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:17:24, 28/03/18 »
What a lovely set of pics from a brilliant weekend April O0
When I visited Kirk Fell I thought it would make a good camp spot. ( Kirk Fell is a Birkett BTW, but you probably wouldn't know that as you're definitely not bagging those boggy Birketts  :D  )

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:29:55, 28/03/18 »
Lovely photos, as always April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:27:27, 28/03/18 »
Thank you for those links April

You are very welcome

it never occurred to me to check the forest trails were open ::)

I'd seen a blog report from someone who had walked this a few weeks ago and they mentioned the forest roads had signs up saying they were closed but they ignored them because there was nobody working in the forest. I've still not had a response from Whinlatter!

Lovely photos April, especially the valley of Spout Force    :)   

Thanks dovegirl  O0

All your trips are great April.... :smitten:

Thanks Rajboy  :) I wish they were all great, we have had some bad weather camps  ;D

Kirk Fell is a Birkett BTW, but you probably wouldn't know that as you're definitely not bagging those boggy Birketts  :D

;D This is our second time on the summit, Boggy Birkett already bagged

Lovely photos, as always April O0

Thanks sunnydale  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:43:35, 28/03/18 »
More lovely pics.
I've never been to Spout Force looks lovely. I've done the path up from Scawgill to Greystones though, nearly killed me.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:46:57, 28/03/18 »
More great views April, well done  O0 Some of those descents looked tricky and easy to twist an ankle.

Regards Keith

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy