Author Topic: Nikwax: a marketing con or good value?  (Read 6226 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Nikwax: a marketing con or good value?
« on: 09:51:30, 13/04/18 »
For my birthday recently my niece purchased me a can of 'Nikwax Tech Wash' and a can of 'Nikwax TX. Direct Wash-in'. She bought the pack in Milletts and it was labelled as a 'special offer' and she had to buy both cans to get the so called saving.

I decided to wash my two waterproof jackets yeasterday. Problem, which one am I supposed to use? I read and read both tins, there are wording differences on each can, but in the end the 'explanations' only annoyed and confused me. The TX. Direct can stated 'always clean items first with Tech Wash'. The Tech Wash can states 'cleans effectivly whilst restoring and revitalising water repellant finishes', what does that actually mean I wonder? Does it mean that the Tech Wash actually waterproof the garments whilst washing, after all it does also state on the tin that the wash 'restores water repellency'. On the TX. Direct it states that it 'adds water repellency'. I wonder what is the difference in Nikwaxspeak, between 'restores water repellancy' and 'adds water repellency'?

If it was me buying such a product I do not think I would want to buy both cans but could I get away with buying one? Would I go for the 'adds water repelency' can, or would I go for the 'restores water repellancy' can?

As I was unsure I washed the items twice, first with the Tech Wash and then with the TX Direct. Maybe thats what I'm supposed to do?

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Nikwax: a marketing con or good value?
« Reply #1 on: 10:43:59, 13/04/18 »

I wash my Paramo stuff in the Tech Wash first, then again in the TX direct.  It seems to work, both for the cleaning and reproofing.
I think that's what Paramo, or maybe the shop I bought it at, told me to do.
My understanding is that washing in Tech Wash doesn't harm the waterproofing, so you wash stuff in the Tech Wash whenever you wash it, but don't need to reproof it with the TX direct every time.  (But my understanding may be wrong)  I think someone suggested that you only need to use the TX direct every 3 washes or so - but that may depend how often you wash your waterproofs!

motorlaunch

« Reply #2 on: 11:14:14, 13/04/18 »
I agree. Tech Wash is for cleaning. TX Direct is for waterproofing. If you needed to clean your jacket, use the Tech Wash as it does not remove the waterproofing. Other cleaning products could remove the waterproofing.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:08:11, 13/04/18 »
Yep. I use far more TechWash than TX Direct.  Double pack is useful as generally get a good deal but it's not often I need it as the TX Direct lasts way longer than the TechWash bottle.
Where there's a will ...

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 13:21:46, 13/04/18 »
TBH it does work, only if find if you really follow the instructions.

I always fully sure the washing machine has under gone 2 rinse cycles to purge it of detergent etc.
I only use TX direct (Waterproofing) annually, then tech wash (cleaning) every 2/3 of months (maybe sooner depending upon dirt). I am kind of doing TX direct 1 in every 4 washes.
In a previous thread, I bought a brand new Helki from Paramo. First times out wetted all the way through. I was very uncomfortable.  Complained to Paramo and they gave me free Nikiwax to see if that helped. Followed the instruction to the letter and no issues at all after that!

RogerA

« Reply #5 on: 15:37:20, 13/04/18 »
...Tech Wash first, then again in the TX direct....

Same here - doing this way gets the mud off my polycotton trousers and has made them waterproof again where the 30degree standard washing liquid I was using before turned them into soggy grass dew magnets.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:56:58, 13/04/18 »
Yes, as others have said jackets need washing to “unclog” sweat, etc far more often than they need reproofing, soTech Wash should be used far more frequently than TX direct. When time for re-proofing comes, wash in Tech Wash first, then use TX direct afterwards.

I read long ago on this forum (so...it may or may not be true) that Tech Wash is just liquid soap. And for a long time now I’ve used liquid soap when washing my own Paramo gear..and have never noticed any problem with that. (Though obviously, as with Tech Wash, need to ensure no traces of detergent in washing machine.)

nesty

« Reply #7 on: 17:24:38, 13/04/18 »
Yes, as others have said jackets need washing to “unclog” sweat, etc far more often than they need reproofing, soTech Wash should be used far more frequently than TX direct. When time for re-proofing comes, wash in Tech Wash first, then use TX direct afterwards.

Exactly that! I wore my Helki all time in the Peak District in Oct. After 2 weeks completely damp though cos of sweat!  :-\
I love the Paramo gear, though can be a chore to keep doing the prep wash etc before a main Tech wash! 

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:52:32, 16/04/18 »
I use both products on my water proof garments and just the Tech Wash on my windproof tops. I find the TX direct and wash in don't do a brilliant job at restoring the beading up effect on waterproof garments but does a reasonable job, certainly will not make a non waterproof garment waterproof.
One thing of importance to note. If you have a two or three layer waterproof garment such as Goretex or other, do not use the TX wash in, use the TX direct spray on instead. If you use the TX wash in, you will ruin the absorbancy of the first body contact layer ofthe  Goretex or whatever laminate. that first inner layer has to be able to absord body vapour to then transport it through to the outer layer where it evaporates. If you use the wash in, you are preventing most of the vapour from getting through which will cause your other layers to remain damp.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:18:05, 16/04/18 »
Interesting.  Keela specifically says to use the spray on for my Keela jacket.  Berghaus on the other hand say to use the wash in on my 3 layer Goretex jacket.
Where there's a will ...

nesty

« Reply #10 on: 21:33:41, 16/04/18 »
Interesting.  Keela specifically says to use the spray on for my Keela jacket.  Berghaus on the other hand say to use the wash in on my 3 layer Goretex jacket.

My Keela Munro says washing using soap flakes, though DWR can be sprayed directly on.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:42:30, 16/04/18 »
Well same for me for washing or Tech Wash.

I was referring to Slogger's comment about using TX spray on rather than TX wash in.
Where there's a will ...

nesty

« Reply #12 on: 22:56:53, 16/04/18 »
Well same for me for washing or Tech Wash.

I was referring to Slogger's comment about using TX spray on rather than TX wash in.

Ah ok, no worries!

Pitboot

« Reply #13 on: 01:15:47, 29/04/18 »
Look at the bottle tops:

Green to clean.
Purple to proof.

Proofing needs to be used on a clean garment. Simples. I've been using the stuff for over ten years on my Paramo and other stuff and everything works like it was new.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:31:49, 29/04/18 »
Having very recently bought a pair of Buffalo pertex and pile mitts, I wondered whether I could treat them to give them a bit of water repellency.

The maker's FAQ which can be found online says you can use Nikwax TX Direct SPRAY-ON, they put it in upper case letters like that to make it absolutely clear which one should be used, but it is also stressed that the garment must first be washed clean in Tech Wash.

So I contacted Buffalo to ask if it would be OK to treat my 100% brand new and unworn mitts without washing them first, which I was assured would be alright to do.

The effectiveness has yet to be tested, but I am not expecting miracles, however the treatment has resulted in a few dark spots showing on the palm of one of the mitts, though I'm not too bothered about it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy