Author Topic: TR Day 2 High Raise to Glenridding Sun 24 Jun 18  (Read 1747 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We woke up a bit late, 7.15am. We had needed the sleep I suppose! We had our breakfast and packed our gear. The wind had died down but was still cold first thing but it had warmed up by the time we left for High Raise summit.

The MSR in the sun

Looking across to Helvellyn

The views were a bit hazy

Beefy on High Raise summit

We were both down to one layer. It was only just gone 9am and it was hot. We walked back over Rampsgill Head. We stopped here to roll our trousers up and we put some sun block on. There was no clouds in the sky and it looked set to stay that way. We went up The Knott, the fell top we'd missed out yesterday.

Beefy on The Knott

Rest Dodd

The next fell was Rest Dodd. There is a bit of a down and a bit of an up here. It isn't quite as bad as it looks!

Beefy on Rest Dodd

We topped up our water from Well Gill on the way. We sat away from the summit to have a brew and have some food. Apart from the flies annoying us, it was a lovely break here looking at the views

We descended Rest Dodd toward The Nab. I mentioned to Beefy this was the supposed deer sanctuary but I'd seen few deer here myself. Lots on the other fells nearby but not on The Nab and someone should perhaps tell the deer it was their sanctuary. No sooner had these words left my mouth, I spotted some deer  ;D They were outside The Nabs walls though so they were not quite in their sanctuary  ;)

Deer on the way down Rest Dodd

More deer

There were quite a lot of them including some young ones. Beefy got some fab shots of them, I didn't zoom in enough. They scarpered as soon as they spotted us.

On the way across to The Nab

There is now a gap in the wall near the stile so there is no need for the rather awkward stile crossing. The peat bogs were dry and progress across was fast and easy. It was getting hotter and hotter and there was very little wind.

Rest Dodd from The Nab summit

We were surprised when a woman arrived at the summit from the Martindale direction. I asked her if she had come up the naughty route and she laughed. She said she was staying in The Bungalow so I told her she was most likely to be allowed to ascend The Nab from there The Bungalow belonging to Dalemain. She asked about the route to High Street and I pointed it out to her as the rest of her companions arrived on the summit. She was a very nice lady, we wished them a great walk and left them to enjoy the summit without us. We retraced our steps over the peat hags back to the wall.

Zooming in on Fairfield and St Sunday Crag

Rest Dodd and the wall

Once on the other side of the wall we turned right and followed it. A clear path leaves the wall to join the coast to coast path near Satura Crag

Following the path to Satura Crag

High Street, Hayeswater and Gray Crag

Angle Tarn

One thing we'd noticed was there weren't that many people about. I said I thought England were playing but I wasn't sure what time, maybe this was the reason nobody was up here on such a lovely day? We sat down for a rest near the tarn to enjoy the peace and quiet. It was short lived, 3 shouty people arrived on the left of us and then from the right a group of about 15 people arrived and sat 20 foot away from us and they were loud too and never shut up. We left sharpish, never mind we'd had ten minutes peace.

Toward Brotherswater

On the way down to Patterdale

There are big bags of rocks down the path from Boredale Hause, they are repairing the path here.

The hamlet of Rooking

We walked to Glenridding where we were catching the bus. We got some bread rolls and cream cheese from the shop next door to the Catsycam shop, we wouldn't be back home until 6.30pm, we wouldn't last until then for something to eat! I like to use that shop, I think it loses out to the other one on the main street because it isn't as prominent. They were also last to open after the floods. We'd had a glorious day but we'd had a bit too much sun really, didn't you Beefy?  :D You should see the colour of his legs  :o

Our route was High Raise - Rampsgill Head - The Knott - Rest Dodd - the Nab - Satura Crag - Angle Tarn - Boredale Hause - Patterdale - Glenridding. 14.5km with 483m ascent, 1,101m descent. A great weekend, roll on the next one.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR Day 2 High Raise to Glenridding Sun 24 Jun 18
« Reply #1 on: 19:34:44, 26/06/18 »
More tremendous pics Ape O0
What a brill weekend it was too hot though,
Don't forget ya sun cream ya bogger :D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:23:30, 26/06/18 »
Great pics as always April O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:45:19, 27/06/18 »
Yes more great photos and stonking weather for you.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:31:27, 27/06/18 »
What a brill weekend it was too hot though,

It was too hot and too cold at times  ;)

Thanks sunnydale and Ridge  :)
Hate will never win

photonut

« Reply #5 on: 09:55:08, 27/06/18 »
A great TR April and the pictures do credit to the area..... they don't quite depict how hot is was though!

That's the second time I've almost bumped into you two.  I must have been following close behind you as I was on High Raise at about 10am (then on wards to Place Fell). One day I will see you I'm sure :D

Cheers
Lee

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:56:59, 27/06/18 »
A great TR April and the pictures do credit to the area..... they don't quite depict how hot is was though!

It was hot! It was just after 9 when we were on High Raise, we got to Patterdale just before 3, I think. Aye we might bump into each other sometime  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:33:58, 27/06/18 »
I can't get over how green the fells are, April. Lovely.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:39:40, 27/06/18 »
Great photos, especially the one on the way down to Patterdale    :)

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:21:11, 27/06/18 »
Great report and photos April O0  Angle tarn is my fave

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:48:35, 28/06/18 »
I can't get over how green the fells are, April. Lovely.

It is odd they are still so green, there has been very little rain.

Thanks Dovegirl and henry  O0
Hate will never win

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:37:49, 28/06/18 »
Fantastic pictures, April - everything looks so bright and lush under those beautiful blue skies.  :) O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:46:06, 28/06/18 »
Thanks adalard  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:55:03, 01/07/18 »
Great pictures  April - looks a great weekend.  I know the feeling bout supporting the local shops - I always go to Sharman's as it's my surname, though I don't get any family discount!!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:34:45, 02/07/18 »
Thanks pdstsp  O0

They are still working on the walls near the beck in Glenridding next to the shops, its been 2 years and 8 months, I wonder when they are going to finish, it has took ages.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy