Author Topic: long handled spoon  (Read 1389 times)

zuludog

long handled spoon
« on: 10:53:21, 01/09/18 »
I'm thinking of getting a long handled spoon as eating meals out of pouches with an ordinary one is fiddly & messy. Also I've recently changed to a tall 1l pan, so a long handled spoon would be handy when I cook directly in that - usually pasta & sauce

It doesn't have to be titanium, but there does seem to be a better choice with that

Optimus, Sea to Summit, and TOAKS all seem similar and reasonable enough; I like the polished bowl. Is there anything to choose between them, or any other makes?
But please note, it must be a proper spoon, not one of those silly slotted things 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: long handled spoon
« Reply #1 on: 11:00:58, 01/09/18 »
Go to a proper ice cream shop, order a Knickerbocker Glory, eat it and nick the spoon!
Solvitur Ambulando

zuludog

« Reply #2 on: 11:17:30, 01/09/18 »
Go to a proper ice cream shop, order a Knickerbocker Glory, eat it and nick the spoon!

We do have a few long handled s/s spoons in the kitchen drawer that we use for ice cream & yogurts, but the bowls are too small, like teaspoons

I have a 'Long Strong Spoon' but I don't like the plastic mouth feel; also I don't want to use it while cooking on the stove, so a new spoon must be metal

Hard or anodised alloy spoons all seem to have a matt finish, and again, I don't like the mouth feel
S/s  would be OK, but I thought I would try Ti for the first time, and the makes I've mentioned have polished bowls

Roburite

« Reply #3 on: 18:09:41, 03/09/18 »
Whittle your own. It's not difficult

RogerA

« Reply #4 on: 15:18:15, 04/09/18 »
Sundae spoon was also my thought.4 for less than £3 delivered - hundreds of other similar options:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-Housewares-Latte-Spoons-Stainless/dp/B005HBLSGW?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Also useful for getting the last of the coffee out of a large jar

nigellionhearts

« Reply #5 on: 08:22:28, 05/09/18 »
I use one of these which I find much better than just a spoon, Long handled ti spork. O0

https://www.alpkit.com/products/lhfoon

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:58:55, 05/09/18 »
I just use a cheapo plastic spoon, light, tough, long enough, and if I lose it, I've got about a dozen others in a bag upstairs. The problem with a long handled spoon for me is that it would not fit inside my cook set. And spending £11+ on a titanium spoon? No thanks.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:07:55, 05/09/18 »
Whittle your own. It's not difficult

Do you know, I think that I might, just for the fun of it!

I have a curved spoon knife and some of the sycamores in my garden need pruning anyway  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

zuludog

« Reply #8 on: 09:08:06, 05/09/18 »
I've used these spoon/fork hybrids before, but I don't like them; IMO they do neither job properly
I wanted a complete spoon bowl, and polished, not matt finished (bead blasted?)
I was in the Alpkit shop in Hathersage a few weeks ago and saw that spork; if it had been a proper spoon I would have bought it there and then

I've Searched & Surfed t'Net & various suppliers, including, inevitably, Amazon
There is one model of spoon I like the look of, from Finesse, Life Venture,Nordisk, and Optimus. they all look very similar, it wouldn't surprise me if they are all made in the same factory in China. but there is quite a range of prices, even for the same brand

I've ordered the Life Venture spoon from Amazon; £8-21 inc free p&p
It should arrive in a day or two, I'll let you know what I think

RogerA

« Reply #9 on: 09:15:55, 05/09/18 »
I'll let you know what I think

Please do - this isnt an issue that I have any particular feelings for but I am very intrigued to find out how you get on ... not knowing would be kind of like not reading the last page of a short story ...

I hope it works out for you

Roger

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy