Author Topic: The Thames Path - August 2018  (Read 1439 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
The Thames Path - August 2018
« on: 19:27:19, 10/09/18 »
After finishing the Southern Upland Way a couple of weeks earlier, I set off to London to start the Thames Path which I knew would be less strenuous as it's mostly flat but the 2 walks couldn't have been more different, I saw it as a relaxing way to finish a busy summers walking. On the SUW I hardly saw another person every day, it was just me enjoying the peace and quiet and taking in the sights and sounds. On the Thames Path, it was very busy as you would expect apart from the last couple of days.

I had good weather mostly on the Thames Path, a couple of heavy showers on the first day and a wet morning heading into Oxford but I was in shorts every day, no ticks to worry about unlike the SUW.

I chose to walk towards the source rather than the other way because I felt like reaching the source was the end, there was no further to walk whereas walking the other way you reach the end at the flood barriers but that's not the end of the Thames, it goes on for many miles. If I ever did the full walk again however, I would do it the other way as I feel that the more scenic days were at the start and on the last 2 or 3 days it felt just like walking along any old riverside, there wasn't as much to look at. Doing it the other way would get the less interesting parts out of the way first.

I will certainly return to do the London sections again as they could be done any time of year, not just summer but after Oxford it's prone to flooding so it would be a good way of getting some easy walking done in Winter as public transport is good as you might expect.

Anyway, if you want to read my diary, you can do so by clicking the link below. Video coming soon...

http://www.brians-walks.co.uk/thames-path.html
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: The Thames Path - August 2018
« Reply #1 on: 16:27:02, 12/09/18 »

I enjoyed the TR, both this one and the Southern Upland Way one.
I noticed that in both of them you talked about walking shoes rather than boots, and I wondered what kind of shoes you used for LDPs.  Sorry, nerdy question I know, but I found myself doing a lot more walking in trainers this summer (maybe with it being so hot and dry), and have noticed on the forum that more people seem to be moving that way.  I could easily see doing that on the Thames path, but wondered if you found the SUW a bit boggy, and how you got round that.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:52:27, 12/09/18 »
Great TR, thanks for posting it  O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:45:38, 12/09/18 »
I enjoyed the TR, both this one and the Southern Upland Way one.
I noticed that in both of them you talked about walking shoes rather than boots, and I wondered what kind of shoes you used for LDPs.  Sorry, nerdy question I know, but I found myself doing a lot more walking in trainers this summer (maybe with it being so hot and dry), and have noticed on the forum that more people seem to be moving that way.  I could easily see doing that on the Thames path, but wondered if you found the SUW a bit boggy, and how you got round that.

Hi, thanks for reading the TRs  O0

I did the SUW at the end of the big heatwave so I didn't encounter any boggy bits but I could see a few places where I guess it could be boggy. I used quite light Salomon shoes, no idea what kind as I see nothing on the label. I tend to use shoes during the summer months on the long distance trails as I don't tend to find any great ascent/descent and the lighter weight helps over the long distanced plus I like the feeling of being able to move my ankles  :D :D

On the TP I used a cheap pair of Karrimor shoes which look more like trainers and cost about £30 but these were more than adequate for the TP as it's mostly flat and decent surfaces. I used them as they were more like trainers so felt comfy in the evening as well,

Once I get into October I tend to go back into walking boots rather than shoes when the weather is usually damper and cooler. Everyone has their own preferences but I just enjoy a little less weight to carry when you're doing 20+ miles each day  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

astaman

« Reply #4 on: 20:55:23, 12/09/18 »
A great trip report as always. It brought back memories of my Thames walk about 10 years ago. I did it in shorter stages than you and, living in Deptford in SE London, I did the London stages in the evenings. I also started further down on the levels near Allhallows in Kent. Upstream of London I stayed in B&Bs and, on a couple of nights, kipped in a bivi bag in quiet spots (a relative term of course) where I could find them. I enjoyed it very much - even the plainer stages in the upper reaches. I was intrigued by the varieties of domestic architecture along the river bank and by the various pubs along the way. I agree that Reading was not a highlight but hey ho. As I previously said in another strand on this forum, this was when I started reading literature on walks that is related to the area or the walk itself. In this case The Wind in the Willows and Three Men in a Boat. I did it in a pair of very comfortable leather walking shoes (nondescript brand) and was impressed by how cool my feet kept in them in quite warm summer weather. I also strapped a big black umbrella to my rucksack where an ice axe might have lived and left my waterproofs behind and it worked out really well. Once again, great report.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:53:58, 13/09/18 »
Nice London pics  O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy