Author Topic: Request for easy Lakedistrict fells for very overweight hiker  (Read 27921 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Image from Google earth. Hopefully you should be able to see this..

Thanks. Yes that shows up in the Google Maps app here. I'm not sure if I'll do this walk next as there's quite a lot of walking to get to and from the hill I've no idea of how aesthetically pleasing that walk is. Anyone who's familiar with the walk got an opinion?

Edit: I found pictures in trip reports on here but I found more of the route pictures here.
« Last Edit: 21:55:21, 19/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
I'm not sure about Troutbeck Tongue, I downloaded the route from walklakes but I can't see a path on satellite. On my last outing I ended up traipsing through bog because there wasn't a clear path and I had to find where the field boundaries meet point my phone so the compass was roughly in line with it (by which I mean the direction matched) and walk. Good practice for navigating perhaps but Troutbeck Tongue is quite a long walk I'd have to get up early in case I end up following paths on the ground the wrong way like I did on Holme Fell. I'll think about it.

Maybe I should do Catbells next? I've been avoiding it because of the scramble (and a little bit because it looks a little bit exposed on top and I'm scared of heights) but looking on the map the only place the contour lines are close together are at NY2443219960 so I'm thinking this is a short scramble? There was a short scramble on the Holme Fell way I went I managed OK. Is that the case?

Forgotmyoldpassword says I can avoid it by going along a tourist trail to the west but I don't see any path to the west. Anybody got the coordinates so I can see where you turn off?

Edit: I just realised he meant do the whole West path not just a path that avoids the scramble.

I was looking at the route available here for a trace.
« Last Edit: 16:32:15, 20/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
https://youtu.be/MtdKzGF_5qM

Is the bit at 2:08 the scramble people were talking about? The one near the summit?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Is the bit at 2:08 the scramble people were talking about? The one near the summit?
Probably, never been up that way. Have a look at https://youtu.be/7-DTsPfx2rw for a more detailed commentary with route advice. Did you solve your Harvey problem?
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Probably, never been up that way. Have a look at https://youtu.be/7-DTsPfx2rw for a more detailed commentary with route advice. Did you solve your Harvey problem?

No I didn't solve the Harvey problem, I've emailed ViewRanger support.

If the scramble at 7:17 in the video you just posted is anything to go by I'll be fine. I'll probably regret being cocky about it but the scramble on Holme Fell albeit short was vertical Catbells looks easier. I'll watch the whole video soon in case there's a harder scramble.

I must say jumping through the video Catbells looks more fun than difficult or scary.

Edit: I knew I'd regret being cocky, I'm not sure about the summit. Could always go up there and see what it looks like in the flesh I suppose. Probably rather go up there than go back down the scrambly bits so I'd likely push on. Hmm.
« Last Edit: 01:08:16, 20/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
OK so I've now watched the whole thing and I'm definitely already regretting being cocky about it. There is a bit of exposure though the kind that would scare rather than terrify me. I'm not sure I would be as good at finding the best route up to the summit and might end up making it needlessly difficult. I'd also have liked to see the descent, that's often harder than the ascent. It doesn't look particularly strenuous. I think I'd find Catbells scary but possibly of an amount that is perversely pleasurable. Not convinced but definitely maybe.

I also skipped through this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A2nsiFZ9z78

Where I can see the summit scramble people talk about (I think). Wish I could have seen them do the whole thing but there's nice big places to put your feet from what I saw, it would be exciting I think.

I've now gone through every Google hit for Catbells scramble. Still don't have a clear picture in my head as there were a variety of photos. I watched the guy in ninthace's video do it but in a way we were too close to the action.

I think I will do Catbells after all. Not sure I want to make it my next fell though as I'd like to play with my new stove.
« Last Edit: 03:36:07, 20/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
OK so with Catbells on the soon list I want somewhere I can play with my stove for my next walk. I added all the fells I haven’t done yet as points of interest to ViewRanger so I can see which fells are closest to Appleby and Little Mell looks a little bit too easy so I looked at Great Mell Fell which looks like it has a good path up and is relatively flat on top which might give me somewhere good to play with my stove but there doesn't appear to be much shelter from the wind. Would a windshield be enough on a typical day?

Also where do you park near Great Mell Fell? According to Wainwright Routes there is parking up a rough surfaced lane but I haven't located it on Satellite yet.

Edit: I think I found the rough surfaced lane at NY4074524676 by looking at a trace and the photograph but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of parking at the end of it.
« Last Edit: 11:16:04, 20/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

Dread

(Slightly) off topic but has anyone been watching Second Chance Hiker on YouTube? 200 pounds overweight and walking the Pacific Crest Trail! At times he seems worryingly naive but his attitude is very inspiring.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
(Slightly) off topic but has anyone been watching Second Chance Hiker on YouTube? 200 pounds overweight and walking the Pacific Crest Trail! At times he seems worryingly naive but his attitude is very inspiring.

I had a Google of him and watched one of his episodes. Good for him though I found the pace of the video (not his pace) a bit slow to want to watch more.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
I know the spot they're referring to for Great Mell fell parking. There's only room for one car and it's not a very good spot at that.
There's a bit more room at Little Mell fell, but it's a couple of miles between the 2 fells.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Sorry if this has already been said (I've come late to this thread and haven't read all the pages yet)...
From Penrith, don't forget about going east. There's some lovely walks in the Northern Pennines (north of the A66) and also in the Howgills. Much of the Dales is also quicker to get to from there than the south-west Lakes and there are some stunning easy fells there. There's even the possibility of using the Settle-Carlisle railway as part of the transport solution!
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks archaeoroutes good to know although I'm not sure where I'd get a list of easy fells for there from.

Hillhiker1 thanks too. I found the Little Mell Fell layby not sure of the route to Great Mell Fell from there think I'd have to wander round the edge of fields? Doesn't look like the most interesting walk. Maybe I'll go back to the drawing board for now.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
When I did them It was from Park brow by Gowbarrow Fell.  I remember Gowbarrow itself being pleasant enough, but looking at the map now now I reckon I probably walked on the road between the 2 mells.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Thanks archaeoroutes good to know although I'm not sure where I'd get a list of easy fells for there from.
From Dent Station there is Great Knoutberry Hill. A round trip to include Arten Gill is well worth it for the waterfalls and other views.
Or follow the railway south to Ribblehead - a great walk through an impressive pass with great things to look at.

From Settle you could explore Langcliffe Scar. Lots of things to look at, especially the cave mouths

Once you've got a bit more confident, there's Penyghent from Horton in Ribblesdale. Some steep bits, but nothing desperate.
And of course Ingleborough. Perhaps explore the limestone pavements on the first trip and take a look at the way up. From Horton via Sulber Nick it's a steady plod uphill but with amazing things to see and a great sense of achievement.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy