Author Topic: Exploring the ruins of Derwent village...  (Read 1513 times)

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Strider

• Veteran Member
Re: Exploring the ruins of Derwent village...
« Reply #1 on: 19:13:07, 18/11/18 »
Interesting stuff.  There was a report on the BBC site a few days ago about this too.  Do you know why the water level is down Lee, is it for maintenance or just not refilled from the summer yet?
Not all those who wander are lost

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:01:34, 18/11/18 »
Interesting stuff.  There was a report on the BBC site a few days ago about this too.  Do you know why the water level is down Lee, is it for maintenance or just not refilled from the summer yet?

I think the levels are low because it's been a dry summer, but I think there might be a bit of maintennce involved as well though. At the moment there's no threat to water supplies because I think they're compensation reservoirs.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:28:29, 19/11/18 »
What is that tower thing, the base of a lamp post?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:33:33, 19/11/18 »
What is that tower thing, the base of a lamp post?

It's one of the gateposts belonging to Derwent Hall I think.

Stube

« Reply #5 on: 23:04:14, 19/11/18 »
It's been 40 years since the reservoir was that low - I have some shots of it from then.

In the sixties the church steeple was a regular sight sticking up out of the water - until it was deemed unsafe and 617 squadron paid a return visit to their former training ground and bombed it!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:41:29, 19/11/18 »
It's been 40 years since the reservoir was that low - I have some shots of it from then.

In the sixties the church steeple was a regular sight sticking up out of the water - until it was deemed unsafe and 617 squadron paid a return visit to their former training ground and bombed it!

This surprised me as outside war zones,  the RAF takes a dim view of chucking bombs anywhere except on ranges approved for the purpose so I checked. I am not saying your recollection is incorrect but according to Wikipedia, the clock tower of the church had been left standing and the upper part of it was visible above the water level until 1947, when it was seen as a hazard and demolished with explosives on 15 December. Citation- The Story of the Lost Villages of Derwent and Ashopton- Harry Gill.

PS.  In the 60s 617 were part of the V Force flying Vulcan Bombers equipped to launch Blue Steel nuclear missiles and later standard nuclear bombs. Had they had a go at Ladybower Reservoir I think it may be bit deeper and probably off limits for a fair while!

I stand to be corrected as I have only used Internet sources and have no other source material.
« Last Edit: 23:52:53, 19/11/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:03:09, 20/11/18 »
Seem to recall summatt about the steeple collapsing 5 or 10 years ago? (who knows if twas underwater at the time) :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy