Author Topic: Devil's Pulpit from Tintern  (Read 2854 times)

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Devil's Pulpit from Tintern
« on: 20:27:28, 03/01/19 »
Another short walk, this time I managed to drag my sons with me (got half a day's work done first ;-) ). We didn't get the forecast sunshine but still enjoyed what my youngest surprised me by saying was a "quite pleasant" walk from Tintern up through Caswell Wood to the Devil's Pulpit and back, using some of the Offa's Dyke Path. Afterwards we ate at Stone Rock Pizza in Chepstow, which I'd recommend.

Not a great day for photography but here are a few photos:

« Last Edit: 08:47:13, 04/01/19 by clyoung »

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
Re: Devil's Pulpit from Tintern
« Reply #1 on: 09:23:50, 06/01/19 »
Isn't it nice being able to nip over the bridge for free O0

Tintern is a one of my local favourites. We went over yesterday and walked up the Angidy Valley which has interesting industrial archaeology followed by lunch in my favourite café The Filling Station where they do great coffee.

We only walked about 3.5 miles but now there is no toll I don't begrudge popping over for an easy stroll. :)

The view from Devils Pulpit is always a pleasure even on a dull day.
Enjoy every sandwich

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:10:22, 06/01/19 »
Isn't it nice being able to nip over the bridge for free O0

Tintern is a one of my local favourites. We went over yesterday and walked up the Angidy Valley which has interesting industrial archaeology followed by lunch in my favourite café The Filling Station where they do great coffee.

We only walked about 3.5 miles but now there is no toll I don't begrudge popping over for an easy stroll. :)

The view from Devils Pulpit is always a pleasure even on a dull day.

Absolutely!

Will have to check out the Angidy Valley walk. I've found the leaflet online here:

http://mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/Publication/MW-Mon/cms/pdf/The%20Angidy%20Trail.pdf

Shame there's no GPX of the route with notes to go with the waypoints.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:03:22, 11/01/19 »
Unfortunately I didn't record this walk on my Garmin-I forgot to start it!!

I never actually followed the trail completely, this time we scrambled up into the woods on the north side of the valley from the storage (top) pond. There was no defined path but we managed to find a way through the undergrowth.

The trail through the valley is really straightforward.

We then returned through the woods via Barbadoes Hill
 For a longer walk of about 7.5miles I have started at the Fedw Wood car park ST 50583 98424 and walked to Tintern for coffee then headed back uphill. I do have a GPS trace for this one, PM me if you'd like it.
Enjoy every sandwich

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:44:48, 11/01/19 »
Unfortunately I didn't record this walk on my Garmin-I forgot to start it!!

I never actually followed the trail completely, this time we scrambled up into the woods on the north side of the valley from the storage (top) pond. There was no defined path but we managed to find a way through the undergrowth.

The trail through the valley is really straightforward.

We then returned through the woods via Barbadoes Hill
 For a longer walk of about 7.5miles I have started at the Fedw Wood car park ST 50583 98424 and walked to Tintern for coffee then headed back uphill. I do have a GPS trace for this one, PM me if you'd like it.

Thanks, will PM you.

dank86

« Reply #5 on: 19:10:23, 02/02/19 »
It's a lovely little bimble up to devils pulpit, have you been up to eagles nest? That's a nice little one as well for when in the area

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:32:51, 02/02/19 »
It's a lovely little bimble up to devils pulpit, have you been up to eagles nest? That's a nice little one as well for when in the area

Yes, the boys and I did a walk from Chepstow to Tintern a few autumns ago. It is a great viewpoint.

dank86

« Reply #7 on: 19:36:26, 02/02/19 »

Yes, the boys and I did a walk from Chepstow to Tintern a few autumns ago. It is a great viewpoint.

I'm gurguess that was along the Wye valley walk, beautiful route up to Monmouth

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:37:55, 02/02/19 »

I'm gurguess that was along the Wye valley walk, beautiful route up to Monmouth

Yes, it was lovely. Autumn was a good time to do it, the colours were great, though we did have a bit of mist towards the end. Made the woods all the more atmospheric.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy