Author Topic: Isle of Wight Coast PAth  (Read 1937 times)

xraysteve

Isle of Wight Coast PAth
« on: 07:18:40, 08/01/19 »
Hello, Has anyone done this recently, we are going to do it in October. Having had a quick search of the forum, I can only see quite historical threads. We have done a few long distance paths but not for a few years now.

Any tips on books or accommodation.

Presuming that now there is a baggage transfer service there is a large number of people doing it to sustain a business.

Thank you in anticipation

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
Re: Isle of Wight Coast PAth
« Reply #1 on: 17:45:32, 08/01/19 »
I walk there quite often.
A lot of the coastal bits of the coast path have been closed due to landslips or was never on the coast.
Not heard of a baggage transfer service there. I guess you mean moving your bags between accommodation while you walk?
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

xraysteve

« Reply #2 on: 19:28:43, 08/01/19 »
Yes. We used one when we did the Coast to Coast.

Stube

« Reply #3 on: 20:59:10, 08/01/19 »
The south and west sides of the island are the best bits - the rest is rather urban. A street map is more useful than an OS map!

Most island bus routes go via Newport and run late which makes it a practical base for a series of day walks round the coast.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:53:29, 08/01/19 »
Yes. We used one when we did the Coast to Coast.
Indeed. Not heard of one on the Island, though. Probably something exists, but I've not seen it marketed in the same way as for C2C.

ETA: Just checked and there is one showing on Google - MoveMyBag/Wight Walks.
« Last Edit: 21:57:55, 08/01/19 by archaeoroutes »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:23:39, 08/01/19 »
We briefly looked at doing this but decided it was too short and flat for us, maybe in a few years when we’re even older and greyer! I found Move my bag and there is also Wight Walks. I thought they were different companies but maybe not.

Rather be walking

« Reply #6 on: 11:17:32, 10/01/19 »
The south and west sides of the island are the best bits - the rest is rather urban. A street map is more useful than an OS map!

Totally disagree, its a lovely walk.
Use OL29 in the OS Explorer  series 1:25 scale for the whole island.
Jon.

““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

xraysteve

« Reply #7 on: 17:38:07, 20/01/19 »
Totally disagree, its a lovely walk.
Use OL29 in the OS Explorer  series 1:25 scale for the whole island.
Jon.

Did you have a car and if so where did you park it?

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:44:00, 20/01/19 »
Hello, Has anyone done this recently, we are going to do it in October. Having had a quick search of the forum, I can only see quite historical threads. We have done a few long distance paths but not for a few years now.

Any tips on books or accommodation.

Thank you in anticipation
That looks a lovely walk, around 60 mile all in..I used to go regularly as a kid on holiday, and there are some beautiful views and scenery. Its got me thinking about taking the ferry over there sometime.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Rather be walking

« Reply #9 on: 09:21:13, 21/01/19 »

Did you have a car and if so where did you park it?
Do you mean for the whole time you are on the Island , are you planning circular walks taking in the coastal path?

I live across the Solent north of Portsmouth, I just jump on a bus down to the Hard and the ferry's.
The last time I walked the whole of the coastal path in one go I camped at two campsites and used two B&B.B&B at Cowes and the last night at Shankling (The Steamer Inn).
The campsites were (in order) Stoats Farm Camping and a wonderful site just above St. Catherine's Point (Sadly closed now).
Jon.

« Last Edit: 09:27:42, 21/01/19 by Rather be walking »
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy