Author Topic: What was your 214th Wainwright or what would it be, and why?  (Read 5426 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I also have at least a 5 hour drive to the Lakes and so no chance of a day trip and even a weekend isn't really worth it as a Friday night drive up can take a life time and on Sunday you need to leave by lunchtime. It took me 30 years in total.

If all goes to plan it will have taken my son 54 walks (ranging from 1 to 9 new Wainwrights) on 13 trips in 14 years.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
My last one (the first time round) was Rannerdale Knotts.  The reason being it was an easy one for some friends to join me that started me out walking Wainwright Fells on Latrigg some 5 months earlier.

My second time around was totally planned, to do the Wainwrights in a set number of walks and I finished on Wetherlam having done them in 35 walks.  Wetherlam was one of my favourites the first time around.

If all goes to plan  ::)  my third time should be complete on Saturday 13th April on Scafell Pike.... if the plan is to go there of course.  If not I may have to pop to the summit while everyone has their butties!!  :buck2:

I totally understand you Petrolhead... when you are a distance away it's not so easy.  A 5.5hr journey makes a day trip impossible really.  But when you do get the the LD it really is worth it and you appreciate it even more I guess.

Good grief Lee - third time round!!  See you on 13th.

April

• Veteran Member
If all goes to plan it will have taken my son 54 walks (ranging from 1 to 9 new Wainwrights) on 13 trips in 14 years.

The Wainwrights in 54 walks. Quite a good guide book in the making?  :)

The first time I completed it was on Grey Crag in the far eastern fells. Not planned as such, it was the one that was left to do when I'd done all the rest.
Hate will never win

Petrolhead

My last one (the first time round) was Rannerdale Knotts.  The reason being it was an easy one for some friends to join me that started me out walking Wainwright Fells on Latrigg some 5 months earlier.

My second time around was totally planned, to do the Wainwrights in a set number of walks and I finished on Wetherlam having done them in 35 walks.  Wetherlam was one of my favourites the first time around.

If all goes to plan  ::)  my third time should be complete on Saturday 13th April on Scafell Pike.... if the plan is to go there of course.  If not I may have to pop to the summit while everyone has their butties!!  :buck2:

I totally understand you Petrolhead... when you are a distance away it's not so easy.  A 5.5hr journey makes a day trip impossible really.  But when you do get the the LD it really is worth it and you appreciate it even more I guess.

THIRD time???!!! Very impressed mate. That's a serious amount of effort to hit them all three times. Hats off.

And yes, you're totally right. We really appreciate being there when we can. But then, living in the heart of London, we never take being somewhere outdoors and pretty for granted!

O0

Skip

• Veteran Member
I saved the best for last - Blencathra via Sharp Edge was my 214th Wainwright walked on 09/07/2017
I hope to complete my second round on Scafell Pike.
Skip

photonut

Good grief Lee - third time round!!  See you on 13th.

Yes, that's three times across the Pewitts, three times from Grey Crag to Tarn Crag !!! Ewwwww

I'll look forward to catching up with you Paul.  It should be a very pleasant walk

THIRD time???!!! Very impressed mate. That's a serious amount of effort to hit them all three times. Hats off.

There are  quite a few other members on here that have done them more than 3 times.... erm.. April & Beefy to name but a few  ::)

I have the advantage of living very close (600m  ;D ) to the LDNP now too, so I can get up at 8am and still be out on the fells before most.
« Last Edit: 21:54:56, 19/03/19 by photonut »

Petrolhead

There are  quite a few other members on here that have done them more than 3 times.... erm.. April & Beefy to name but a few  ::)

I have the advantage of living very close (600m  ;D ) to the LDNP now too, so I can get up at 8am and still be out on the fells before most.

Well, I'm thoroughly impressed with them too. Although, given the relentless trip reports from April and Beefy, plus me having had the benefit of April's excellent knowledge last time we visited, I'm not surprised by those guys. Impressed, not surprised!

:)

So jealous of where you live. I'm surrounded by concrete. It's good to know people like you who live there still appreciate it.

O0

Mines a pint

Completed the round on Haystacks,it`s where AW finished his final journey,so I decided early on to make it my last one. I`m thinking of starting a second round and,where possible,use a route I`ve not walked before. I`m so looking forward to meeting Mungrisdale Common again! ::) ;D

Cheers,Richard

jontea

• Veteran Member
I've still got another 75 to do, so a long way to go yet, but I do need to start thinking about my last one.

I'm hoping to be joined by family members and friends for that final one, so nothing too difficult, fairly small and near a pub  :D

I’ve decided, if I do finish them, it’s going to be ‘Latrigg’
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Dicky Bird

My last was Pillar, done with a friend and a small bottle of champagne. It was my friend's final one as well, which came as a surprise to me as just a few months before she'd been about 40 short. She'd been packing them in (in secret) prior to a week with me in the western lakes in 2012. We picked Pillar as it was the only "significant" hill left on the list, no other reason than that.

Ridge

• Veteran Member

I’ve decided, if I do finish them, it’s going to be ‘Latrigg’
It definitely meets all your criteria, it's just a bit, well, how can I put this, not that anywhere in the Lakes is boring as such but it does feel a bit cared for, if you know what I mean.

Have you walked Loughrigg yet?

jontea

• Veteran Member
It definitely meets all your criteria, it's just a bit, well, how can I put this, not that anywhere in the Lakes is boring as such but it does feel a bit cared for, if you know what I mean.

Have you walked Loughrigg yet?

Yeah I know what you mean, Latrigg isn’t really the grand finale to an epic adventure  :-\  

Yes I’ve done Loughrigg Mark. Funnily enough, that’s the only fell I’ve climbed with my wife. It was on my birthday four years ago on Tuesday  :D

I also thought about Silver How for my last ?
« Last Edit: 06:37:42, 01/04/19 by jontea »
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Tyldesley Paul

I’ve still got 17 to go but have resisted The urge to do Helvellyn so I can save it for last

Ridge

• Veteran Member
I’ve still got 17 to go but have resisted The urge to do Helvellyn so I can save it for last
You have iron self control!
Have you decided on a route.

Tyldesley Paul

You have iron self control!
Have you decided on a route.

I’m thinking Striding Edge & Swirral Edge, from Glenridding, unless you have a better route you could recommend?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy