Author Topic: TR - Wild Boar Fell  (Read 5460 times)

BrionyB

Re: TR - Wild Boar Fell
« Reply #15 on: 10:12:22, 19/10/20 »
It is lovely around there, yes it's desolate in a sense, but peaceful and atmospheric as well. Much, much quieter than the nearby Three Peaks area, possibly because of the lack of paths or well-known summits. Somehow always seems to be misty and wet underfoot as well...

I've encountered the ponies (quite startling to come upon in the mist. I didn't know they were feral, had assumed they were owned but turned out to graze like the New Forest ones) but never been down to Sand Tarn. How strange to find a sandy beach like that in the middle of the hills!

I wonder what kind of trees were being planted. That'll certainly change the character of the area, no doubt for the better of course. 

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:49:22, 19/10/20 »
Great stuff Richard O0

Sand Tarn is quite a well known wild camp spot ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:47:51, 19/10/20 »
It is lovely around there, yes it's desolate in a sense, but peaceful and atmospheric as well. Much, much quieter than the nearby Three Peaks area, possibly because of the lack of paths or well-known summits. Somehow always seems to be misty and wet underfoot as well...

I've encountered the ponies (quite startling to come upon in the mist. I didn't know they were feral, had assumed they were owned but turned out to graze like the New Forest ones) but never been down to Sand Tarn. How strange to find a sandy beach like that in the middle of the hills!

I wonder what kind of trees were being planted. That'll certainly change the character of the area, no doubt for the better of course.

I really enjoyed the desolate feel to the limestone 'Clouds'  and the mist wreathed plateau. I'm not sure whether the ponies are truly feral, but they certainly had the run of a large tract of land, several square miles.
The beach was a surprise to me too, when the tarn suddenly appeared out of the mist - I suppose that the name should have given me a clue.
I presume that they will be native species; great to see attempts to re-wild the area. The biggest improvement would of course come with the removal of the sheep - note how the vegetation is different on the small island in Sand Tarn.
« Last Edit: 12:08:20, 19/10/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:54:19, 19/10/20 »
Great stuff Richard O0

Thanks Karl - I was thinking that it would be a good spot. Not much sign of human presence at all - other than the quad bike tracks a little lower down the hill. Even the beach was pristine - until Tess devoted her attention to it, that is.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:53:32, 19/10/20 »
Thanks April. You really should get out more  ;)

;D

I was thinking that might be a nice place to camp...... but not if it is so well known  ;)
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:21:20, 23/10/20 »
That looks a lovely walk Richard.  Some nice atmospheric pics too with the clouds pluffing by below you  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 06:43:21, 25/10/20 »
Thanks Mel - nice contrast between the hills in the Yorkshire Dales and the Lakes.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 01:16:51, 16/11/20 »
Catching up on trip reports again.  Great pics and write up, very atmospheric  O0

Those Fell End Clouds are on my radar when I get to "bagging the Howgills"  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy