Author Topic: Are Landrover walking shoes any good .. or the ones from Decathlon  (Read 9883 times)

wbmkk

I've just logged in to this forum after quite a few years away as I intend backpacking again next year. last time was in 2008 /2009 (see my previous posts)

First job is to get a bit fitter, so some local walks will be a starting point.

Although I used to walk in leather boots, I'll probably just start now in some 'walking trainers'

My daughter said she saw some in her local Deichmann store, made by Landrover. I never knew Landrover made shoes  .. are they any good ?

I bought items in the past from Decathlon, who seem to have some good products. Are their walking trainers any good ?

thanks !

Ferret

Don't know about shoes but I've got some lightweight Decathlon boots which are very comfortable for day walks. Not sure how they'd stand up to the rigours of a backpacking trip though.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I walked in the Pyrenees a couple of years ago wearing a pair of Decathlon walking boots, they were fine though not as waterproof as they claimed. They did dry quickly however and the soles looked as good as new even though I had clambered over all sorts of rocky terrain. I threw them away in the end because one boot cracked from the sole edge to the over toe fabric area.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
I doubt landrover make shoes anymore than they make the bikes with their name on them. Likely to the the same generic rebadged stuff you get at places like Trespass or Sports Direct. I could be wrong.

Decathlon stuff is usually OK. Never top of the line but rarely awful and almost always decent value. They are also very good on returns even after some time. Returns are easy if you use the free Decathlon card when you buy.

wbmkk

OP here ... thanks for your replies

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
If the shoes are anything like the cars, then they will be fine for the rough stuff but break down or have bits fall off quite often.

anneannie

I doubt landrover make shoes anymore than they make the bikes with their name on them. Likely to the the same generic rebadged stuff you get at places like Trespass or Sports Direct. I could be wrong

Landrover does indeed make boots.

Kilo Romeo

• Veteran Member
I'll stick my neck out: at these prices these are not going to be very good walking shoes

Landrover | Landrover Shoes | Landrover Boots | Deichmann | DEICHMANN

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
From my experience, I'd go for the Decathlon's every time. You can try them on for a start and if you have a problem you can take them back and try on some more.

As an aside, I went to my local Snow and Rock shop and I noticed a woman at the counter handing her recently bought boots back to them and she got a refund. I talked to her and she told me they leaked! She also told me this was a recurring problem for her and I was able to confirm that it's been a recurring problem for me as well.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Stop buying rubbish boots then!  My boots have never leaked except through the hole where the foot goes in when the water got too deep!   Neither did the previous pair by the same maker. In the past, cheaper brands have always leaked eventually as well as failing in other ways.  The answer seems to be either to pay for quality or spend less more often for an inferior performance.  I was only issued with the one set of feet, I might as well look after them by giving them the best working environment.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My Berghaus Superlights don't leak, and neither have my previous Superlights, (only the soles have worn out) but in the warmer months, I just prefer to wear fabric-type boots.

My Superlight soles wore out because it took me a while to discover how to correct my gait, they always wore badly along the outer edges and at the heel outer edges. I now wear sloping inserts under my flat inserts and my present Superlights are now wearing evenly.

fernman

• Veteran Member
Having looked at the footwear in the link provided by Kilo Romeo, I'll stick my neck out too, they look the same as the cheap Chinese schit you see on eBay. 
Oh hang on, they probably *are* the same ones!

I'm with gunwharfman, I'm another Berghaus Supalite fan.
« Last Edit: 17:29:28, 22/12/22 by fernman »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I stayed a fan because I found a pair at £50 from a local garden centre.

mrlanky

Army boots are good, quite a lot of variety these days, from heavy to light. They can be good value. 

Personally I wear the MOAB vented shoes and Sealskinz waterproof socks, that works best for me.  Means I can use them in all conditions.  The Sealskinz are odd in that after a while I think my socks underneath get wet, maybe through swet if not leaks, but they are like a wetsuit and keep my feet warm and comfortable.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Waterproof socks.  O0

I have a pair of Decathlon off-road running shoes, almost indestructible. I once had a pair of Decathlon hiking boots, very good, comfortable and hard-wearing, I got rid of them because I caught and ripped the 'fabric' top of one boot on some barbed wire whilst climbing over a stile.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy