Author Topic: Software update for the older Etrex GPS models  (Read 3668 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Software update for the older Etrex GPS models
« on: 09:11:26, 07/03/19 »
Garmin have just released a software update for some older Etrex models, this is to resolve an issue that would have been caused in the near future due to a change in GPS data.

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3755

eTrex H

software version 3.60 as of February 15, 2019

Change History

Changes made from version 3.40 to 3.60:

•Fix incorrect time date issue caused by GPS week number roll-over on ST BRAVO3H
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Software update for the older Etrex GPS models
« Reply #1 on: 09:58:27, 07/03/19 »
I saw a thread where someones old e trex was giving a date of 1999 or something like that, even after a reset..is this the issue that  maybe caused it.?
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:02:50, 07/03/19 »
Possibly ...
Where there's a will ...

joncombe

« Reply #3 on: 21:40:59, 07/03/19 »
Thank you another user has alerted me to this message.

I've tried to install it. The website directs me to use "Garmin Express". However I have this running but it never finds my ETrex H. It never finds anything, in fact. Just goes "Searching" for about a minute and takes me back to the first screen "what are you trying to add".

GPS TrackMaker is recognising it fine, so it does not seem to be a connection or PC issue. I'm using a USB to Serial Port Adaptor, but as I say that works correctly with GPS Track Maker which recognises it as "eTrex H 3.50".

The interface is set to Garmin mode.

Interestingly, if I go to

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3754

This is version 3.40 of the software. The updater supplied with this does recognise my device (via the Serial Port) but obviously I don't want to install that, because it is an earlier version!

Garmin Express wants to update via USB port only by the look of it, it does not seem to have a serial port option. but the ETrex H only has a serial port, not USB!

Anyone been able to update and offer any advice?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:46:06, 07/03/19 »
You'll need to get the relevant cable that allows it to connect via a usb port, unfortunately it's been so long since I had my Etrex H that I can't recall exactly how it all worked.  In any case if it were me I'd wait to see if my GPS had any issues first before I worried about it.
Where there's a will ...

joncombe

« Reply #5 on: 21:58:10, 07/03/19 »
Success!

I've managed to get it updated to version 3.60 and better still it did indeed fix the problem!

The problem was not cable related. The problem is the link on the website link above tells you to download "Garmin Express". It does not work with serial port devices.

Instead I found this page : https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?productID=8705&tab=software

This directs you to download "Garmin WebUpdater" instead. When I did this, it found my ETrex H straight away and the update to version 3.60. So I was able to use that to update it and now it is working with the v3.60 software.

It is good to have it working properly! Just thought I'd share this with others in case anyone else is wanting to try this update.

joncombe

« Reply #6 on: 21:59:20, 07/03/19 »
You'll need to get the relevant cable that allows it to connect via a usb port, unfortunately it's been so long since I had my Etrex H that I can't recall exactly how it all worked.  In any case if it were me I'd wait to see if my GPS had any issues first before I worried about it.

Sorry just to add I was the person having the problem with it stuck showing a date in July 1999. Hence yes I'm normally a believer in "if it's working properly leave it alone". However in this case it had stopped working hence my looking for a solution.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:53:33, 07/03/19 »
Great, yes, that's the solution, forgotten I had to use WebUpdater  O0
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy