Author Topic: Portuguese Camino starting September 2018  (Read 5473 times)

peterjohn42

Re: Portuguese Camino starting September 2018
« Reply #15 on: 19:32:58, 11/12/17 »
I enjoyed the whole experience of The Way of St James, The French Camino, but if i had to pick my favourite area it would be just after Leon where it goes up into the hills, breath taking views, and the less favourite area would be the Meseta, long and flat, lots of walking side of a busy main road but saying that, i would definitely do it all again and hopefully will when i finally retire health willing.

peterjohn42

Re: Portuguese Camino starting September 2018
« Reply #16 on: 19:51:04, 11/12/17 »
Although I don't drink wine normally I may make an exception!:-

The wine fountain is part of the ancient Monastery of Irache in Ayegui which is essentially a suburb of Estelle.  There are two fountains, built in 1991, which are known as the Wine Source and Source Irache, one dispenses wine and the other fresh water.  The fountain is gated and open between 8am and 8pm daily.  There are two signs at the fountain:

“We are pleased to invite you to drink in moderation. If you wish to take the wine with you, you will have to buy it.”

“Pilgrim, if you wish to arrive at Santiago full of strength and vitality, have a drink of this great wine and make a toast to happiness.”

Now that is really a proper welcome to their Monastery!

I found the ancient Monastery of Irache in Ayegui on the French Camino, a very pleasant find.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy