Author Topic: TR - Weald Way (Part 2) from Withyham  (Read 1805 times)

Warbler

TR - Weald Way (Part 2) from Withyham
« on: 23:27:31, 14/09/20 »
Day 4 – Withyham to Blackboys – 16 miles

I was really looking forward to todays walk, not least because I would be walking with a lightweight pack having left the bulk of my gear in my hotel room.

After getting off the bus at Withyham the day began with a bit of minor road walking.

After a steady climb I was soon into Ashdown Forest. Wonderful vegetation, stunning views and even the horse manure had a look of majesty.

Unfortunately, the heather bloomage was just past its best, but still rather pleasant.

The wonderfully named Camp Hill Clump

About 3 ˝ miles after leaving the forest I crossed the busy A26 at Five Ash Down. I knew there was a pub about a hundred yards off route down a minor road. It was 1:30, and I couldn’t resist.

Pit stop at the Pig & Butcher   

Not long after the pub I entered Buxted Park.

Buxted Park Hotel

The lakes in Buxted Park

About 50 wooden steps down and 50 back up again took me across the railway line near Uckfield.

Just when I thought a wonderful days walk was coming to an end, I heard a small plane overhead. It took me ages to see it with the sun in my eyes. It’s a Spitfire, I’m sure it is. A lady dogwalker passing me in the field confirmed it was. She told me it is privately owned by a local lady (I’m not convinced about this), and she’s often buzzing around the area.

Day 5 – Blackboys to Berwick Station – 17.5 miles

After a long 2 bus journey from Tunbridge Wells back to Blackboys, and with a full pack again, I didn’t start walking till about 10:15.
I walked past this beautiful lake. I think it is part of the estate of the Tudor style house on the left.

Field edge paths were to be a feature of today’s walk, with more than a sprinkling of forest tracks. I was quite grateful for these as the shade offered a respite from the sun on a pretty hot day.

Fascinating tree on the land of one of the many stud farms in this area.

I thought the face mask was a bit harsh. I mean, it’s not as if he’s indoors or on public transport.

I could have watched this brute of a machine a while longer, but I had a train to catch.

So I caught the train to Eastbourne, checked into my B&B, showered and went out to see what a Wednesday night in Eastbourne had to offer. Harry Ramsden knocked up a scrumptious chunk of haddock for me. I had a stroll along the prom and back which is when I started to realise I had a blister forming on the ball of my foot. I made a quick decision to purchase a bottle of wine and retire to my room. On inspection of my foot the blister had matured. [censored].

In the morning I decided that when I walked to the train station, if It felt okay I would get the train back to Berwick station and complete the walk back to Eastbourne. If not I would catch the train home. It turned out to be the latter.

I could have continued but it wouldn’t have been pleasurable, and I’d be risking injury somewhere else by favouring one foot. I’ll return to complete another time. There are another couple of walks in the area I like the look of too.

So, that’s two pieces of incomplete business after last years Offa’s Dyke abandonment. I’m nowhere near as disappointed this time round though. At least my tendon stood up to the task, which is a big plus.

It had been a really good 5 days though. I would recommend missing the first 3 miles (no fun at all), and starting just south of the A2.

And……the Chilean Malbec was pretty damn good  O0

Thanks for viewing.

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Weald Way (Part 2) from Withyham
« Reply #1 on: 00:10:10, 15/09/20 »
We had lunch at the Pig & Butcher when we walked it. We both had their homemade ham   (appropriate given the pub name) with egg and chips. Absolutely delicious and a quite staggering portion. We asked for a doggy bag for the ham we couldn’t eat - it completely filled one of those polystyrene burger boxes.

All my memories of this walk are apparently food related. ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:14:04, 15/09/20 »
More lovely pics, love the lake shot  O0

Shame the blister scuppered the last day but it is pure torture trying to walk with one  :(

Chilean wine is nice  :)
Hate will never win

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:37:06, 15/09/20 »
More lovely pics, love the lake shot  O0

Shame the blister scuppered the last day but it is pure torture trying to walk with one  :(

Chilean wine is nice  :)

I'll second all of those

:)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:46:52, 15/09/20 »
Agreed, a shame you had to stop but it will wait for you.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:54:55, 15/09/20 »
Very good photos   :)    I love walking in Ashdown Forest and Buxted Park.

Sorry you had to abandon the walk but it was a wise decision.  The Berwick to Eastbourne stretch has some great walking to look forward to another time.

Warbler

« Reply #6 on: 14:06:45, 15/09/20 »
Cheers everyone.

I'm reasonably happy with my decision to quit. I'll be there again soon.

All my memories of this walk are apparently food related. ;D

I completely understand this. Food related memories feature heavily in all my walks  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:44:39, 17/09/20 »
Thanks for the photos etc. I have a walk planned, from Haslemere on the Sussex Border Path to where it crosses over the Weald Way. My plan would then go south on it and join up with the South Downs Way and then catch a train home, or if I'm in the mood I could walk back to Portsmouth. Unfortunately, I cannot go at the moment, my sleeping quilt is in for repair, caught it on some wire, my fault, not looking properly. I've had it for a number of years and no damage whatsoever, it just took one moment of a lack of concentration and I now have a small rip. Luckily no down was lost, I just stuck a patch of paper over it, held down with a couple of slivers of duct tape. I'm also feeling hesitant about the hike because of what may be coming soon about Covid-19, its possible we may have full lockdown again? I'll decide what to do when my quilt comes back.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy