Author Topic: Anyone bought from the EU post Brexit?  (Read 4333 times)

Sevenup

Re: Anyone bought from the EU post Brexit?
« Reply #30 on: 15:43:14, 12/01/21 »
If I have read them right, they do. The government removed the £15 or £18 limit below which no taxes or duty was applicable. So it’s been possible to buy a Chinese made product direct from China or Hong Kong until the change in the law that doesn’t just apply to Europe. If you look at listings in ebay (example of waterproof dog coats) you will see some U.K. based suppliers and some suppliers outside the U.K. For those outside the EU, the change comes in a warning below the price which says that the seller isn’t liable for any customs charges. That wasn’t in place before (at least not that I have noticed). Some Chinese companies have set up a U.K. based warehouse to supply their goods.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:50:36, 12/01/21 »
Sevenup, thanks for the heads up. That sadly will apply to the Aliexpress website too, I suppose.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Sevenup

« Reply #32 on: 18:04:50, 12/01/21 »
Just to round this off - @davesumnersmith in a twitter posting has linked to a communication with a Portuguese wine company no longer sending to the U.K. because of the unique tax laws that would require any company exporting to the U.K. to register with HMRC, paying a fee (I have seen €1300 mentioned) then collecting VAT and deliver it with their accounts to HMRC.
For those of you with twitter, this is a link (others might be able to see it) https://twitter.com/davesumnersmith/status/1348677038140510211?s=21  

Sevenup

« Reply #33 on: 13:15:45, 13/01/21 »
Sorry. I thought I’d seen everything but I forgot about Northern Ireland. Again, from twitter, I came across a report of a pair of walking shoes sent to Northern Ireland sporting a customs declaration. https://twitter.com/jp_biz/status/1349044542121635841?s=21

janner

« Reply #34 on: 23:20:20, 15/01/21 »
I have bought a pair of Hanwag Banks SF extra boots from Exxposed which is a German firm. Recommended price was£207. New year sale price £165.88. I paid by Pay Pal and as soon as I pressed the buy button the price dropped to £132.70 when the German VAT was taken off. The carrier was DHC who took them as far as the border yesterday and now waiting to clear customs and will continue the rest of the way by Parcelforce. Will let you know what I am charged when I pick them up.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #35 on: 09:18:26, 16/01/21 »
My new tent arrived from the Ukraine yesterday.
So that is a two week hold up at customs.
At least it arrived.

Sevenup

« Reply #36 on: 09:25:32, 16/01/21 »
I have bought a pair of Hanwag Banks SF extra boots from Exxposed which is a German firm. Recommended price was£207. New year sale price £165.88. I paid by Pay Pal and as soon as I pressed the buy button the price dropped to £132.70 when the German VAT was taken off. The carrier was DHC who took them as far as the border yesterday and now waiting to clear customs and will continue the rest of the way by Parcelforce. Will let you know what I am charged when I pick them up.
That’s interesting. I had thought that the U.K. structure was a response to the EU imposing something similar. If Eu businesses are withholding VAT that would mean the possibility of decent bargains will continue. The border looks like it’s going to be a challenge for some months to come.
Johnny Thunder, how did the U.K. deal with the tax and delivery issues? What tent did you bring in from the Ukraine? Any links?

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:39:04, 16/01/21 »
That’s interesting. I had thought that the U.K. structure was a response to the EU imposing something similar. If Eu businesses are withholding VAT that would mean the possibility of decent bargains will continue. The border looks like it’s going to be a challenge for some months to come.
Johnny Thunder, how did the U.K. deal with the tax and delivery issues? What tent did you bring in from the Ukraine? Any links?

I'm curious too. If I order from the USA, I'm hit by import duty, VAT and a massive "handling fee". From the EU I guess there shouldn't be import duty but they will have to collect VAT, so I wouldn't be surprised when you have to pay a "handling fee" too to collect that VAT.

However, I also read somewhere that till April of so we are basically in "smuggling mode" because the systems are not yet in place and you may get away tax free.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #38 on: 09:45:12, 16/01/21 »
Hi Sevenup.

With the Ukraine being outside the EU, although with a sort of trading arrangement with it, I was unsure what would happen with regard to VAT, import duties and handling charges. The package came through as normal and carrying  no extra charges. I would assume, therefore, that buying from locations such as China will continue as normal. (Please don't take this for granted. I am guessing).

I purchased from a company called Liteway Equipment and I must say, the have been a superb company to deal with.
Constant communication from the initial purchase, through all the postal worries and to the final delivery.
I would most definitely recommend them.

I purchased the PyraOmm Tarp -  https://liteway.equipment/shelters/pyraomm/pyraomm-tarp

and the PyraOmm Half Mesh - https://liteway.equipment/shelters/pyraomm/pyraomm-mesh-half

At any point if I need to upsize, I can order the 2 person mesh - https://liteway.equipment/shelters/pyraomm/pyraomm-mesh

I just need to get out and give it a good field test now.

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #39 on: 09:47:23, 16/01/21 »
Hi Birdman.

I am currently awaiting delivery of an alcohol stove and pot stand from the US.
I am 100% expecting charges on that package.

Sevenup

« Reply #40 on: 09:48:51, 16/01/21 »
That’s an interesting site. I’ll bookmark it for future use

addyeddy

« Reply #41 on: 10:34:03, 16/01/21 »
My £25 CD arrived and was just popped through my letterbox by Royal Mail, and it arrived from Germany in 3 days!!

I know Royal Mail normally make you pay in advance before releasing things if there are charges to pay, so I wonder if there's 1. Either that much coming through there's no way to check everything. 2. Systems aren't properly in place yet, or 3. I've just been lucky!

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 10:58:46, 16/01/21 »
Below a certain value you won't be charged. It also depends on whether it is send as a "gift" or not. And you can be lucky or not. I have once received a £200 GPS from the USA and paid nothing extra. But one other time I ordered something for $40.00 + $13.50  shipping (=£40.93 at the time) and was charged £15.89 on that by the UK for VAT + handling.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

[Rgmw]largie

« Reply #43 on: 16:23:45, 16/01/21 »
I was looking at purchasing a guitar from a German retailer so attach their statement below in hope it helps :
Cheers
Dave

Special Rules for our UK CustomersWith the new trade agreement between the EU and the UK, new regulations have been applied to all commercial transactions between the two distinct markets.  
As of 01.01.2021 all current prices shown on our UK website do not include VAT 20% (Value Added Tax).According to the new regulations, the VAT (20%) and additional handling fees will have to be paid to the courier upon delivery with the only exceptions being special VAT-free zones (e.g Channel Islands).  
Based on the feedback we have received so far, Government Charges will be collected by UPS and they consist of the 20% VAT plus a small amount for the paperwork involved (usually around 2.5%). There is also an additional amount to be paid to UPS for their service, which is a minimum of 11.50 GBP. As not every order has the same customs requirement, for further information we advise that you check the costs and procedures in advance with the courier locally.  
VAT will be added and charged by Thomann GmbH after processing an order only if the net value of the items is equal or less than 135.00 GBP or if delivery will be to Northern Ireland. In these cases, no additional fee will have to be paid upon delivery.  
For items exceeding 31 kilos, or heavy goods such as PA equipment, pianos, etc., we have to employ the services of a heavy haulage company. As these new regulations only came into effect a few days before the end of the transition period, delivery by this method of transport to the UK is currently not possible. Further information will be included in our order confirmation email.Please be assured that with more than 20 years of close cooperation with our UK customers, it is our priority to find new solutions that will allow us to provide door-to-door online prices as soon as possible.  

Magic girl

« Reply #44 on: 22:07:26, 16/01/21 »
I've ordered from trekkin in the sale and they arrived 2 days ago with no problems,I also ordered from smartwool who I think are based in Europe and they arrived with no problems also.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy