Author Topic: Hi and over trousers help please  (Read 2053 times)

Jako999

Hi and over trousers help please
« on: 23:22:17, 20/12/20 »
Hi all this is my first post. I used to walk years ago and enjoyed it and want to start again, some of my kit is up to date anyway but after a trip to the lakes I realise my old over trousers need an update.
I’m looking at Berghaus deluge or Paclite. Rab downpour or firewall. Patagonia Torrentshell.
So that’s 5 to choose from ranging from £50 to £135. I can get the Berghaus Paclite with a big discount at £70 but which are the best?
I’m not going to be hiking that much and these are over trousers I hope Ha Ha to not need them, I don’t want over kill but at the same time if spending more is worth it then so be.

Thanks in advance

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi and over trousers help please
« Reply #1 on: 07:47:52, 21/12/20 »
I now wear Berghaus Deluge after reading many many good reviews and I am very happy with them.
It's all uphill from here.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:40:52, 21/12/20 »
Berghaus Deluge for me - reasonably priced (I got mine for £30 in a sale), practical and tough - they will not let you down.

..and welcome to the forum  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:47:33, 21/12/20 »
Me and my son and daughter are all Berghaus Deluge owners.

Honestly Jako Berghaus don't sponsor the forum we all genuinely like the deluge trousers.
My bet is that Sussamb will be the next member along to add his vote.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:53:31, 21/12/20 »
Craghoppers. Old, cheap and lightweight (important to me) still adequate for day walks.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:08:01, 21/12/20 »
Berghaus Paclite are the best I've had.  O0

3/4 length zips make them easy to put on / take off and allow ventilation when rain eases. They pack into a small net sack that fits easily into a bottle pocket on my backpack. And they don't let in water!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Pomster

« Reply #6 on: 09:33:23, 21/12/20 »
I dont know which is best? but i have a pair of Berghaus Paclite, they was on offer at a good price.
 I do like the long zips and the fasteners at boot level, they weigh next to nothing, keep my legs dry and they pack down so small
« Last Edit: 09:37:03, 21/12/20 by Pomster »
Your mind is like a parachute, it works better when open

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:46:12, 21/12/20 »
I own both the Berghaus Deluge and Paclite and tend to switch between them depending on the weather conditions and the type of terrain being walked. Both models perform extremely well.

The Deluge are much more robust and hardwearing but less breathable than the Paclite and as a consequence are much heavier and take up considerably more room in the pack.

The Paclite are considerably lighter and less hardwearing but more breathable than the Deluge but they do pack down very small.

There is quite a price difference between the two models so try to match your type of expected use. If you don't expect to be wearing them very often go for the Paclite as you will carrying them in your pack all the time.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:58:15, 21/12/20 »
Yup Deluge are great but you want to be wearing them.  They aren't particularly light or packable, less of a problem on a day hike but not great if you're backpacking and that space is at a premium.  I like how they're fairly robust, fairly comfortable waist band and cheap if you somehow destroy them.  They definitely have the 'suit of armour' feel when you're wearing full waterproofs in the middle of a storm!

Rab Downpour are a good price for a much lighter product since it's made of Pertex Shield which is far more packable so I'd put them forward if you want to carry them for most of the day as some cover, or intend to backpack with them.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:56:50, 21/12/20 »
I use a rain skirt (I can't stand waterproof trousers) and mine cost £10 from Amazon.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:14:28, 21/12/20 »
The peoples choice seems to be Berghaus (I agree)!

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:40:43, 21/12/20 »
The peoples choice seems to be Berghaus (I agree)!
But which ones?
It's all uphill from here.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:54:14, 21/12/20 »
Berghaus Paclite .

Are very good Breathable,  Waterproof .
Dry quickly
With long zips up the side .
Good for putting on and taking off .
Roll up small into a pouch .
To go into your  Rucksack.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:59:58, 21/12/20 »
For me the choice is quite simple.

If my walk is likely to involve wading through heather, bracken or brambles or the walk involves a bit of hands and knees scrambling it's the Deluge because they're much more resistant to damage and cheaper to replace. For 'normal' walking or if there's only a slight chance of them being worn due to the expected weather conditions it's the Paclite.

Neither version copes well with barbed wire fences!  ;D
« Last Edit: 18:16:58, 21/12/20 by kinkyboots »

Jako999

« Reply #14 on: 22:35:34, 21/12/20 »
Thanks everyone
The deluge are around £50 and at the moment and I can get the Paclite cheap of Amazon at £67

Decisions Decisions

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy