Author Topic: Does carrying a rucksack damage Gortex, does it wet out?  (Read 4324 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Does carrying a rucksack damage Gortex, does it wet out?
« Reply #30 on: 08:26:14, 23/10/20 »
If my wife found out that I used 'her' washing machine for 3 cycles for one coat I'd soon be flat on my back!  :o

I hand washed my old Lhotse a few months ago in the Tech Wash stuff - worked just fine. In fact I was out in the rain with the dog last night and noticed the drops beading nicely on the arms.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 11:43:31, 23/10/20 »
I'm totally unimpressed with re-proofing using expensive Nikwax and stuff. It looks great just after the re-proof but it wears off within hours. I still do it every now and then but I'm disappointed every time.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 15:51:57, 27/10/20 »
I'm totally unimpressed with re-proofing using expensive Nikwax and stuff. It looks great just after the re-proof but it wears off within hours. I still do it every now and then but I'm disappointed every time.

I agree. Seems to work mostly OK on my Paramo stuff but not so great on my membrane-based waterproofs. Looks impressive doing the tap test but out on the hills, in fine blown rain, it wets out after a couple of hours.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - by far the best proofer I'm aware of is 303 Fabric Guard. That stuff is pretty much the same as the original PFC coatings you got on Goretex jackets in the past. However the reason they got rid of PFCs is because they're toxic to the environment and maybe even a little to the user. I think 303 is PFCs. I must admit to still using it.

If you do use it, you want to make sure your jacket is properly clean first - as in any Nikwax or other proofers removed. So you want to wash it in normal detergent, then Tech Wash (or liquid soap flakes) to remove the detergent and then a couple of rinses and then get it bone dry. Then you spray it with the 303.

My decade old Helly Hansen shell now beads like the day it was bought, possibly better in fact, and it doesn't just give up in fine mist, or where the arms rub etc, which I find Nikwax does. It's got that slippery feel to it that old DWC coatings used to have.
« Last Edit: 16:02:42, 27/10/20 by NeilC »

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 16:33:25, 27/10/20 »
The Grangers Performance Repel stuff is pretty good - simple to use and cheap considering you'll get a fair few 'reproofs' out of it.

Wash the item, hang it up to dry outside and spray the fabric whilst still damp with the Performance Repel stuff.    It isn't as good as the 'old' DWR stuff as Neil says, but it's less toxic. 

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 19:10:38, 27/10/20 »

I agree. Seems to work mostly OK on my Paramo stuff but not so great on my membrane-based waterproofs. Looks impressive doing the tap test but out on the hills, in fine blown rain, it wets out after a couple of hours.

I've said it before but I'll say it again - by far the best proofer I'm aware of is 303 Fabric Guard. That stuff is pretty much the same as the original PFC coatings you got on Goretex jackets in the past. However the reason they got rid of PFCs is because they're toxic to the environment and maybe even a little to the user. I think 303 is PFCs. I must admit to still using it.

If you do use it, you want to make sure your jacket is properly clean first - as in any Nikwax or other proofers removed. So you want to wash it in normal detergent, then Tech Wash (or liquid soap flakes) to remove the detergent and then a couple of rinses and then get it bone dry. Then you spray it with the 303.

My decade old Helly Hansen shell now beads like the day it was bought, possibly better in fact, and it doesn't just give up in fine mist, or where the arms rub etc, which I find Nikwax does. It's got that slippery feel to it that old DWC coatings used to have.

Interesting... I see they are still selling that stuff. It's expensive though... (£16.95 for 473ml). But I may give it a try next time.

Edit: Hmm... I'm not sure if this is supposed to be used for breathable stuff like Goretex, e-vent, etc
« Last Edit: 19:16:34, 27/10/20 by Birdman »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:28:03, 28/10/20 »

Interesting... I see they are still selling that stuff. It's expensive though... (£16.95 for 473ml). But I may give it a try next time.

Edit: Hmm... I'm not sure if this is supposed to be used for breathable stuff like Goretex, e-vent, etc

The manufacturers state "Does not alter fabric color, feel, flammability or breathability"  

Believe me - it's just fine on Goretex or other membrane shells. They work perfectly after.
I wasn't sure so I tried it on a pair of old overtrousers. Breath well and water rolls off. Even mud doesn't seem to stick now!

Plenty of bikers and sailors use it on their Goretex kit.

One pump bottle does a few garments and it lasts for ages - well over a year in my experience.

Z3man

« Reply #36 on: 16:54:30, 29/10/20 »
I decided that the previous jackets i mentioned at the start of this thread were a bit overkill for me and went for something a bit lighter.

I bought the Montane Levity jacket, really like it, fits perfectly, great hood etc.

It is Gortex Paclite, but is 75D so still feels quite protective without being too heavy and crinkly.

However i do have a small problem.

I have given it a cold shower test (just low pressure) before using it outside, it is totally waterproof as it should be, the water was bouncing off it.

However it is wetting on the outside of the jacket at some of the seems, the jacket is going a darker colour at some of the seems. I don't think this is a major problem as all the seems are taped inside so no water can get through.

Is this normal behaviour for a brand new Gortex jacket, if it isn't i will get it exchanged and try another one and see if that does it as well.

Do your jackets do this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:33:07, 30/10/20 »
@Z3man: I have never tested it that way, but it doesn't surprise me. There is a reason the seams are taped.

Personally I wouldn't care either. In persistent rain you are not going to stay bone-dry. Even if water doesn't leak through you are going to be wet from transpiration/ condensation and from water entering through the sleeves (especially when hiking with poles) and water on your face running down inside. As long as the jacket keeps 99% of the water out and acts as an effective wind barrier so I stay warm, I'm happy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy