Author Topic: Have you invented or seen hiking items that are not sold commercially?  (Read 1494 times)

wbmkk

The routine modification I make to my rucksacks is to fit a couple of straps in front of   The straps are usually made from repurposed poundshop pet collars.

Good idea ... how about a photograph showing how you did it ?

fernman

• Veteran Member
A cut-down 3/4 inch nylon tee from Ebay makes a perfect tent peg pusher.
Before and after pics below. Weight 5g.
Must be nylon, the black plastic ones break, they are not strong enough.

Stube

Posted by: wbmkk « on: 21:12:21, 07/02/21 »  Quote from: Stube on 17:37:31, 19/01/21<blockquote>The routine modification I make to my rucksacks is to fit a couple of straps in front of   The straps are usually made from repurposed poundshop pet collars.
</blockquote>Good idea ... how about a photograph showing how you did it ?
Sorry wbmkk I seem to be unable to post or preview a photo.

My original post lost a sentance or two. The straps run from below the zip on the top pocket to the main body of the rucksack above the shoulder straps. It's a pig to sew on a machine - but neater than hand sewing which I did on an older bag. The socket end of the collar snap is just below the zip with the long adjustable plug end dangling down the bag straps.

The result is that your tent sits on stop of the frame and above your shoulders so that you do not need to lean as far forward - if at all. The other big advantage is that you don't have to open you pack at all to pitch your tent in the rain O0

You can trial the idea with a length of cord or strapping passing under the top pocket, round the tent at boeth ends and then tied under the top pocket again, to see if you prefer the balance before sewing permanent attachments.

wbmkk

Sorry wbmkk I seem to be unable to post or preview a photo.

My original post lost a sentance or two. The straps run from below the zip on the top pocket ...

Many thanks for the detailed reply

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy