Author Topic: Have you invented or seen hiking items that are not sold commercially?  (Read 1493 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Have you invented an item, or seen a 'good idea' for hiking that's not been invented, not sold, or you have never seen it sold commercially?

My best of all 'invention' is two tubular covers which secure around my wrists and overhang my gloves to keep them dry in the rain. Just made from two cut-off sleeves from an old Goretex jacket. Cool!

Two sewn-on debit card-sized pockets on my base layer to hold my cards so they are always 'close to my chest.'

A cheap rape-alarm attached by a length of clear nylon fishing line to my rucksack or other items and to me to ensure that nothing goes for 'walkies' in the night without me knowing about it. I mostly use when I'm bivvying or in hostels/refuges.

Birdman

• Veteran Member

Not invented by me, but made and measured by me: pot-cozy for saving fuel. I bring water to a boil, add dry pasta/ rice meal, bring to boil again and place it in the pot-cozy. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then it is ready to eat! This pot-cozy also makes it possible to place the pot on my lap or on the tentfloor without burning.

Tailor made for my pot

Pot, fuel canister and stove all fit in

I have done measurements how effective it is in retaining heat. The orange curve is the final implementation.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Birdman

• Veteran Member
I have also modified a 2xAA-battery-operated shaver by attaching a USB cable plus a few diodes (to lower the voltage 5V -> 3V) so that I can operate it without the batteries. That saves weight (I can power it with my powerbank or my solar panel) but also avoids it from failing. In humid climate (camping in Scotland etc), the battery contacts corrode quickly and made the shaver fail after a short time. Now it's a soldered connection so it won't fail.

And I made a small modification to my backpack. I glued a piece of hard plastic + rubber inside one of the hip-pockets to protect the screen of my (SIM-less) phone that I use for (offline) navigation and electronic field guides.
« Last Edit: 18:21:21, 18/01/21 by Birdman »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Stove windshield made out of Innis and Gunn  lager cans.  ;D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Some rucksacks may be supplied with this, but I sow a loop of thin ribbon to the inside seam of the top pocket so that I can clip my car keys to it - no worries about losing them on a wild camping trip.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Stove windshield made out of Innis and Gunn  lager cans.  ;D

Afro

I always use these disposable aluminium trays for that (largest size). I stamp on them to make them flat and then fold them. Very light and they take almost no space. They cost like £0.50 each and last for months.

strawy

Weve all probably made an "invention" to make things easier,to suit ourselves/needs..
Its called improvisation(is that a word or have i improvised/invented)
I,m disabled and i havent "invented" anything,but ive worked out how to use/adjust things to make my life easier..
We all do it,it may look strange to others,but it works for each individual..
Hard to invent something truly "new"  :-\    

Ronin83

I've added elastic cord to the hood of my backpack with a toggle to adjust. It already had small loops so not sure why it wasn't already there really.
I've done a few things like this, but inventing something new? Hmm don't think so.
Maybe this counts. Mix cola cao or milo with coffee (carried in what you prefer, I use effervescent tablet tubes) for a vitamin boosting mocha type coffee. Makes a nice morning drink when camping.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
In my first year of serious hiking, I remember that once my boots were tightened and secured the area above my ankle bones became very red and sore. To overcome this I purchased a couple of soft material wrist sweatbands and forced them over my feet to cover the affected area and then put my socks back on. Once my boots were tightened onto the sweatbands they were fine. I then bought new boots and have never experienced the problem since.

Stube

The routine modification I make to my rucksacks is to fit a couple of straps in front of   The straps are usually made from repurposed poundshop pet collars.
I make windshields by moulding a deep shepherds pie / mousaka foil dish to fit a pot and then cut a hole in the base to fit over the burner and sit above the air inlet hole. I reckon it reduces fuel consumption by up to 20% Haveing the burner fully enclosed also makes cooking in your tent much safer.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Some rucksacks may be supplied with this, but I sow a loop of thin ribbon to the inside seam of the top pocket so that I can clip my car keys to it - no worries about losing them on a wild camping trip.

I've been trying to work out how to do this but as my back pack is a waterproof one sewing isn't an option.

Murphy's law of single compartment backpacks is that everything is at the bottom.

That surely cannot be, do I hear you say? It's contrary to the laws of nature. Some things must be on top of the things at the bottom. I assure they aren't. Every damn thing is a the bottom :tickedoff:
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Peak

Jac, if sowing a waterproof bag you could then use a seam sealer when completed. I'm having a waterproof zip fitted to a bivi bag and that is my intention. Think I may have got the idea from Gunwharfman.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
I've been trying to work out how to do this but as my back pack is a waterproof one sewing isn't an option.

If you are sewing the loop inside a rucksack pocket, then just sew it onto the fabric separating the pocket from the main compartment - no need to worry about waterproofing then. Otherwise a dab of seam sealant would do the trick.

Lee R

Murphy's law of single compartment backpacks is that everything is at the bottom.

That surely cannot be, do I hear you say? It's contrary to the laws of nature. Some things must be on top of the things at the bottom. I assure they aren't. Every damn thing is a the bottom :tickedoff:

I'm afraid you are incorrect. It isn't everything. It's only the things you actually need that are at the bottom :)

Jac

• Veteran Member

I'm afraid you are incorrect. It isn't everything. It's only the things you actually need that are at the bottom :)

There is some truth in that but...................in order to always be at the bottom the things must know I want them before I open the backpack :o
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy