Author Topic: What are THE best walking boots money no object  (Read 3509 times)

James M

What are the best known 3 season walking boot? Waterproof, fairly light, last the longest, comfortable and tough.

Edit: not saying I'm going to buy them. Just interested to know.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: What are THE best walking boots money no object
« Reply #1 on: 18:40:41, 18/02/21 »
It's an individual answer for everyone - you might say something like the Inov8 Roclite 345s (waterproof, light) or go for the other end for something like a Meindl Vakuum which is a chunkier boot but incredibly comfortable. 

It's usually very hard to get anything which is light + robust + last a long time, it's usually pick one.  Particularly if you scramble a lot and spend plenty of time on rock which shreds boots quite quickly.

James M

« Reply #2 on: 18:57:03, 18/02/21 »
So £250 buys the best? Forget my edit I could probably stretch to that!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:07:11, 18/02/21 »
As stated already very much an individual choice I think, I'm more than happy with my Berghaus Superlights, and except for possible leaks I really like my Salomon Ultra X's as well.

Peak

« Reply #4 on: 19:09:04, 18/02/21 »
Definitely a individual thing but for me my Meindl Bhutan leather boots have been the  most hard wearing and comfortable boots I have worn, but for winter use only. They cost £180 around 6 years ago and worth every penny, would replace with the same if I outlast them.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:09:49, 18/02/21 »
As stated already very much an individual choice I think, I'm more than happy with my Berghaus Superlights, and except for possible leaks I really like my Salomon Ultra X's as well.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:33:40, 18/02/21 »
An unusual question, because everyone's feet are different, and boots are designed for different conditions. For example, a boot suited to a summer gallop over the Malverns is very different to a boot suited to bogtrotting on Kinder in Autumn, or for tackling Striding Edge in full winter conditions.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:44:57, 18/02/21 »
If we're looking at the 'absolute best' for 3-season use:

- Moulded custom commission which would have a sole moulded to your foot, excellent uppers and top quality stitching.  Having these made for your specific feet might cost £1200 for a set of boots.
- Best 'retail boot' is individual but probably around £300 for the steepest, possibly a little more if you pick out a fashion brand which happens to make hiking boots on the side.
- Most expensive retail boot would be a 4-season one.  The most expensive boot I've won was La Sportiva G2's which are about £500 but rated for high altitude use and very cold conditions.  However it'd be absolutely crap for 3-season use.

End of the day the 'best for you' would be found by heading to a gear store and having a chat with the sales staff.  The 'reputable' stores like Fishers (has a decent coffee shop which I hope will return in normal times!) are great for this, some of the staff working at these stores have incredible knowledge and you'll save yourself many hours of painful boots which don't really fit you properly - how much is that worth, really?  Likely the difference between an internet purchase and tipping up in person. 

Peak

« Reply #8 on: 20:21:10, 18/02/21 »
When it comes to looking for knowledgeable staff at outdoor stores I find it increasingly difficult. Just before the last lockdown I was in a branch of Ultimate Outdoors waiting for a salesperson to bring me some shoes to try, while waiting I struck up a conversation with 2 others waiting as well and to cut along story short they both bought boots on my recommendation,  they  both said that I should apply for a job there. I must add that while browsing the  cook section I stood next to someone that asked about a Trangia burner and the sales assistant said that she had never heard of Trangia, we stood about 6 feet away from the wholeTrangia range.
When it comes to staff that know their stuff I rely on Alpkit & Outside in Hathersge. I live 20 minutes from Alpkit HQ.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:23:20, 19/02/21 »
Probably 'best known' would be Scarpa? Meindl would be my choice for 'best' . For you it's the most comfortable for your type of walking. And I would only ever buy boots I had tried on in a shop with staff who know what they are doing (I'm aware that raises particular problems right now!)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:01:54, 19/02/21 »
I probably do less than 5% of my walking in boots so, even if money is no object, I wouldn't want to spend it on a pair of boots.

I prefer to wear whatever best suits the weather, the terrain, the time of year and the type of walk I'm doing (speed, distance, ascent). I certainly don't believe there is a 'best' boot or shoe that works well in all situations.

So with money being no object, my recommendation would be to buy several different pairs of footwear to cover all possible requirements. An additional benefit of this approach is that it encourages the practice of footwear rotation - that is, wearing different boots/shoes can help prevent damage to feet (blisters, etc.) and it can involve using different muscles while walking.

I practise what I preach... in addition to my pair of Scarpa R-Evo GTX boots, I have 6 pairs of walking/trail shoes on the go at the moment. Two pairs are waterproof (Scarpa Vortex GTX and Salomon Sanford GTX), while four pairs are non-waterproof (Merrell Cham 7, HigherState Soil Shaker, Garmont 9.81 Grid, and Asics Gel Trabuco 9). It's not just the waterproofing that matters, each pair has its own degree of grip, weight, support and comfort. Best of all worlds!  :)

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:05:31, 19/02/21 »
Windyrigg, out of interest is there a good fitting service in Tyneside?
Too little, too late, too bad......

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:23:16, 19/02/21 »
The Cotswold shop at Morpeth used to be well on it - now sadly closed (I think the landlord had other plans); otherwise I'm afraid it's Keswick for me although I've a friend who is well pleased using Cotswold in Newcastle

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:37:04, 19/02/21 »
Thanks Windyrigg. I'd have preferred Morpeth but a trip into the Toon it may have to be, after lockdown. I might also give the LD shop a ring when they reopen to see if they have any fitters. I have been there before. Quite a good shop.

Too little, too late, too bad......

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:33:39, 19/02/21 »

I'm with you there about the Supalites. They're not the quality of some makes, they're not as robust, and with a slightly narrower sole there's less confidence and that "impregnable" feeling you get with chunkier boots when planting your feet on uneven ground. But after using these I never want to go back to heavy boots again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy