Author Topic: The Wicklow Way  (Read 9890 times)

Ian Bristol

The Wicklow Way
« on: 16:41:43, 21/05/09 »
Hi all,

I am considering doing the Wicklow Way in July, and I wanted to know how bad the Midges get around there? I've heard that they aren't as bad as the Highland Midges ( what is?! ) but I'd like to know what people's experiences have been. I am planning to camp, though since I favour Hammock and/or tarp camping I need to make sure I have the right gear if there's a chance that being outside may become unbearable at any point.

Thanks,

Ian

dolly2009

Re: The Wicklow Way
« Reply #1 on: 16:47:21, 24/12/09 »
not familiar with walks in ireland, as i plan to stay over at my sisters in dublin ,, can you reccomend any

Ian Bristol

« Reply #2 on: 00:08:40, 25/12/09 »
Well, I did go in the end so if it's Dublin you're heading for the Wicklow Way I would definately recommend. I only did about half of it in the end but it's a very nice walk indeed, with a landscape that's beautiful yet strangely unlike any other I've seen in either Ireland or Scotland ( or England and Wales for that matter ).

I don't know what you plan to do for accomadation but if camping is your thing there's plently of secluded spots on the way. If accomadation is what you're after than it's very wise to book ahead, there are places along the way, I had a Wicklow Way guide that I bought off Amazon.

Not sure what time of year you're going but if it is in the late spring/summer months on then I would say Midges are there but they are nowhere near as bad as they are in the Highlands, I had a mesh hat and that was good enough for me.

Hope that helps,

Ian

alexw123

« Reply #3 on: 15:04:20, 29/12/09 »
I walked the Wicklow Way in 2008 during May.  No problems with insects although I stayed in B&Bs.

There is a good Wicklow Way web site with information about the route and some suggested accommodation.

http://www.wicklowway.com/index.php

It's a beautiful walk.  Be prepared for rain!  Much of the time the views are obscured by trees as the route uses forest tracks quite often.

love2trek

« Reply #4 on: 17:34:59, 04/02/10 »
Hi,

We walked half of Wicklow (Enniskerry to Glenmalure) in May of 2007.  We did not experience any problems with insects, but we stayed in B&B's and didn't camp.  We saw and spoke with a number of people camping, though.  It's a really nice journey and I highly recommend it.  Good luck.  Oh, by the way I have been told that dryer sheets rubbed on the skin will keep them off of you. 

Ian Bristol

« Reply #5 on: 09:59:19, 08/02/10 »
The only times I encountered any insects were by fast flowing rivers, such as the one I camped next to. They still weren't too bad especially considering it was July, and once I slipped my mesh hat on they were no longer noticeable.

love2trek

« Reply #6 on: 14:18:47, 08/02/10 »
Did you walk the entire WW?   

Ian Bristol

« Reply #7 on: 12:47:46, 09/02/10 »
Nah I only walked three stages, starting at Marley Park and ending at Glendalough where I then got the bus back to Dublin. I camped the first night and stayed in a b&b the next. I'd like to do the whole thing one day, just need to organise myself better.

love2trek

« Reply #8 on: 13:45:25, 09/02/10 »
We only did half of it, from around Enniskerry starting, then to Glenmalure.  We ran out of time and caught a train back to Dublin for one night.  It hailed on us one day for a little while.  I had never seen hail like it before.  It was almost like styrofoam.  It was very light and gentle and it kept us dry. 

Have you walked the Kerry Way or Dingle?

Ian Bristol

« Reply #9 on: 16:07:53, 10/02/10 »
I haven't done those paths, would like to though having spent a bit of time round those parts, very beautiful.

Daithi2004

« Reply #10 on: 16:48:05, 05/09/10 »
I did the Wicklow Way at the end of August starting from Marley Park to Glenmalure. I walked 64km over 4 days. The weather was mixed. Midges are not a problem but you might get a few Ticks. I did intent to do the who trail but got fed up on the 4th Day. I intend to do the rest next year. If you click on this link you will see my adventures. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=175453&id=1418184241&l=b682ec6932 [nofollow]

leixlip_pa

« Reply #11 on: 00:29:56, 28/11/10 »
hi all, i have walked the wicklow way completely over five days from south (clonegal) to north (marlay park) for charity. there is good information and advice on www.wicklowway.com [nofollow] also there is the option of a baggage transfer if that suits you. no midge problem worth talking about except near river banks if camping and close to glendalough lakes (no camping allowed there).
rolling countryside and side roads in the southern half of the journey gives way to great scenery and higher hill sections in the northern half.

cleo

« Reply #12 on: 17:20:29, 05/01/11 »
ian bristol.
i have walked some of that way the odd time.just an hour or 2 on a sunday or something.havent done the whole walk just yet.ive a tip for you regarding the insects.swallow a clove of garlic and the smell of it breaks out through your pores and that helps a bit.ive tried it and it helped me a bit because they drive me mad,espically on a nice summer evening.

good luck

leixlip_pa

« Reply #13 on: 23:36:36, 16/02/11 »
I am walking the wicklow way in may with www.melanomatrust.com [nofollow] to highlight the month of may as melanoma awareness month. If there are any up to date queries that members want answered , i will be deighted to check them out on that hike over five days.

moorebooks

« Reply #14 on: 10:17:57, 03/03/11 »

I have explored the mines the at Glendalough and Glenmalure and spent a lot of time in Ireland midges have never been a problem but Ticks are another matter its one of the few times I was pleased one of my mates still smokes!!

Mike

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy