Author Topic: Now Vasline is a problem!  (Read 914 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Now Vasline is a problem!
« on: 16:25:25, 02/03/20 »
I have a small container of Vaseline with me when I hike. For some unknown reason if I fail to smear a bit on my top lip every morning within days I get a cold sore.

Vaseline is not good for the environment - 'Petroleum jelly is a by-product of the process of the oil extraction process, which contributes to climate change, acid rain and oil spills to name but a few of its damaging effects.'

So it looks like I need to make my own now? The suggestion is, '2 parts coconut oil, 1 part beeswax, and 1 part honey,'  :-\

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: Now Vasline is a problem!
« Reply #1 on: 16:27:17, 02/03/20 »
I have a small container of Vaseline with me when I hike. For some unknown reason if I fail to smear a bit on my top lip every morning within days I get a cold sore.

Vaseline is not good for the environment - 'Petroleum jelly is a by-product of the process of the oil extraction process, which contributes to climate change, acid rain and oil spills to name but a few of its damaging effects.'

So it looks like I need to make my own now? The suggestion is, '2 parts coconut oil, 1 part beeswax, and 1 part honey,'  :-\
Dog Poo works, it stops you licking your lips.

If it is a genuine cold sore, you need UV protection.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:34:07, 02/03/20 »
Without Vaseline, I get one on almost every walk. Only a small one, but irritating enough, I just shave around it until it goes.

How do I get UV protection on my upper lip? Do you mean sun cream, tried that, doesn't seem to  work on me? I've been told it's too much sun, too much wind and/or both, or too many pub meals plus beer en route.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:41:22, 02/03/20 »
Not sure it is a cold sore which is caused by the herpes virus.  If it is, try Zovirax
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:16:56, 02/03/20 »
It is the herpes simplex virus, similar to chicken pox and shingles.
You can get UV lip balms, makes you look like a cricketer though. Or worse, an Australian.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:22:54, 02/03/20 »
Given the quantities involved, I really wouldn't worry about the minimal environmental impact.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:46:07, 02/03/20 »
Zovirax for cold sore otherwise E45 lip balm.

Since the vaseline you own has already been produced it would be more green to use it than to chuck it, it lasts forever and the inventor ate a spoonful everyday in his long life.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:09:45, 02/03/20 »
It's definitely Herpes Simplex, I usually get one a year ever since my childhood.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:19:36, 02/03/20 »
It's definitely Herpes Simplex, I usually get one a year ever since my childhood.
Then Zovirax will be more efficacious than refinery sweepings. Comes in a smaller tube too.  My daughter get them when stressed.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:29:43, 02/03/20 »
If I get a cold sore it means I'm going to have a cold two weeks later.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:45:51, 02/03/20 »
Rub on the Rioja
HEALTH 23 September 2000
By Alison Motluk
THE herpes virus is something many people have learned to live with. Butresearchers told ICAAC delegates that they have found a substance in red winethat stops even drug-resistant forms of the disease in their tracks. Thedisappointing news is that you have to rub it on, not drink it.
One form of the virus, herpes simplex 1, just causes cold sores, but herpessimplex 2 can kill babies if they catch it during delivery. Many effectivetreatments exist, some strains of the viruses are already resistant to them.
The compound resveratrol, a trihydroxystilbene found in red wine, came underthe spotlight when studies showed that it gave some protection against heartdisease. John Docherty of Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine inRootstown and his colleagues became interested in resveratrol when they heard itcould inhibit DNA synthesis. Herpes can’t invade the body if this process isblocked, and the researchers found that the chemical did indeed work against thevirus.
They have now come up with a slightly modified form of resveratrol, calledstil-5, which is even better. It inhibited more than 99.9 per cent of thevirus’s replication, even with drug-resistant strains.

The substance seems to affect production of two proteins, ICP-4 and ICP-27,which are important in viral synthesis. “It somehow knocks these two proteinsout,” says Docherty.
Someone with cold sores would apply a gel containing a concentratedformulation of stil-5, when they feel the numb or tingling sensation thatheralds a cold sore. Docherty says the compound could be added to contraceptivefoams or the lubricant on condoms to prevent transmission of herpes simplex 2.

lightweightmick

« Reply #11 on: 00:05:22, 03/03/20 »
Another good reason to try dehydrating red wine  O0
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

Doddy

« Reply #12 on: 14:40:11, 03/03/20 »
The herpes virus stays in the body to be awakened often by sunlight. Vitamin deficiency(various) can be an issue and if so can lead to low immune system and later colds.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy