Author Topic: Honister Zip Wire proposal  (Read 28907 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Honister Zip Wire proposal
« Reply #165 on: 08:52:09, 04/03/19 »
Press release is on the LDNPA site.  It says specific reference to a gondola has been removed, following consultation, which is good.  Then it says a future developer would need to consider one ,whichv is bad. Haven't read the whole doc as I am away, but first impression is this is a small improvement, but not what we all wanted.

NoGo and Lakes Watch have posted about it on their fb pages too. NoGo have a meeting with LDNP on the 6th March they say, so I am sure they will update us. The wording on the LDNP seems to be a bit ambiguous?  :-\

Park and ride with electric busses would be a lot better environmentally, visually, practically and financially than a high impact vanity project like gondolas.

Spot on Richard.

If the gondola was all about reducing traffic through Braithwaite I am a monkeys uncle. The plans were for more gondolas half way up Grisedale Pike and higher up in Whinlatter forest. You don't see many traffic jams up there.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #166 on: 09:39:21, 04/03/19 »
I don't think that the so called park authority will rest until they have turned the Lake District into Alton Towers.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #167 on: 10:05:39, 04/03/19 »
Spot on, April and Richard.  One thing that was noticeable was the statistic on proportion of respondents who approved of the LDNPA approach to the special areas.  From memory it was less than 50%, which is pretty damning, compared to their stats elsewhere in the plan.  Hence the let's pass this on to a private developer and let them take the stick.  I don't think this is over, just delayed the battle.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #168 on: 14:51:17, 24/07/19 »
I've just received an email saying that this decision is not going to be called in by the Secretary of State.

I don't know what other avenues are open to fight this.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #169 on: 15:28:38, 24/07/19 »
Disappointing, but I don't think it's terribly surprising.  I have no idea what further action can be taken. Sad.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #170 on: 19:32:59, 24/07/19 »
Thanks Ridge. Very disappointing news  :(

I dread to think if the Kinlochleven zip wire application is successful what will continue to happen to our countryside, these zip wires, gondolas, so called "adventure hubs" will be popping up all over.
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #172 on: 22:00:50, 24/07/19 »
'Adventure Capital Lake District'  oh dear God, how can you even begin to talk to these people.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #173 on: 22:25:37, 24/07/19 »
Thanks for the link ninthace.

Hmmm. I previously admired and respected the MP for Copeland despite the party she represents. 'World class experiences in Cumbria' my [censored] [censored].

'Adventure Capital Lake District'  oh dear God

Remove the first two words and you get Lake District. It doesn't need to the words Adventure Capital in front of it. For [censored] sake.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #174 on: 20:47:03, 25/07/19 »

Isn't the Right Honourable (sic) James Brokenshire MP one of those who has been sacked by Boris Johnson?

Perhaps he knew that he was going to get the boot and didn't give a damn.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #175 on: 20:50:23, 25/07/19 »

In this instance I think that the increase in traffic up Honister Pass is more of an environmental issue than the zip wire itself.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #176 on: 18:23:17, 28/07/19 »
We have discussed a similar topic before.
The presence of a Zip wire, attracts huge numbers of people into an area, that  may not have bothered to visit in the past.
With these people, comes significant revenue, both for the Zip wire operators and local community.

The Zip Wire projects in Snowdonia, have become such a huge success, generating over £250 million in just five years, for the economy of the area, that those living in South Wales can see the financial benefits both for tourism, and the local economy.

Its seen as so advantageous to the economy of a particular area of Wales, that the Welsh Assembly Government have given their blessing and support to the proposed project to be based at Tower Colliery above Rhigos, in the Upper Rhondda valley.

Slightly different, but of a similar nature, Surf Snowdonia, the largest manmade wave facility in the world,(according to its owners that is)  is so  popular, that Conwy Council have given permission for a new hotel to be constructed near Dollgarog.

All this is great news for tourism in Northern Snowdonia, and with the continual decline in the value of the pound, more are deciding to holiday at home, due to the increased cost of holidaying abroad.

We are not all converts of the great outdoors, and walking up a mountain, to many, is seen as a waste of time.

Why should other areas prosper and benefit from ever so popular tourist ideas.

The Lake District needs tourism to survive, it has done in the past, and will continue to need it in the future, its stunningly beautiful, but to some, that is no incentive to visit it.

If your not a walker, or someone slightly interested in scenery, what else is there to do there, other than drive around, admire the views and move on to the next vista.

A Zip wire to some is a blight on the landscape, something so unthinkable, they will do everything in their power to stop it happening, but the small area of Snowdonia that enjoys Zip world and its other attractions, has benefitted to the tune of over £250m in the past five years of trading.

Many thousands of visitors new to the beauty of Snowdonia, have arrived, stayed overnight in local B&Bs and hotels, spent money in the locality, and possibly returned to experience other attractions.

Why cant Cumbria share its beauty, with people who only want to visit for the sole purpose of going down a wire at speed.

Its a wire for goodness sake, not a nuclear power station, that still blights the landscape above Trawsfynydd.
« Last Edit: 18:51:53, 28/07/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #177 on: 18:28:31, 28/07/19 »
Ridge thinks for a bit.
He sighs.
He decides it is not worth the effort.
He pours himself a drink.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #178 on: 20:11:49, 28/07/19 »
DA, can I suggest you read the Sandford principals underlying the creation of the National Park? You may find it enlightening. 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #179 on: 20:51:54, 28/07/19 »
DA - there is a world of difference between putting up a zip wire within the desolation of a GIANT slate quarry, or constructing an artificial surf facility on the site of a derelict aluminium works (both in easily accessible locations), and putting up a zip wire in an iconic beauty spot with terrible road access (Honister).

I have to ask you - have you actually been to Honister Pass?
« Last Edit: 08:42:30, 29/07/19 by richardh1905 »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy