Author Topic: Are you making your own face masks or anything else?  (Read 4297 times)

Toxicbunny

Re: Are you making your own face masks or anything else?
« Reply #45 on: 19:02:24, 30/04/20 »
Whatever the evidence I suspect that the political message will be for us to wear masks as a routine very soon. Other parties like the SNP seem to be nudging the UK Government in this direction, which I think perhaps is designed to make it appear that Mr. Johnson's crew are following events rather than leading from the front? In the area where I live most people seem to be wearing masks already.
Yes I believe that it will be compulsory for us too. If the NHS wear them then it's for a reason.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 19:14:45, 30/04/20 »
Yes I believe that it will be compulsory for us too. If the NHS wear them then it's for a reason.
They do wear them for a reason - but not the same reason, they are working in a clinical context.  If they were completely effective though, there would be far fewer casualties amongst them.  They also wear eye protection and scrubs.
« Last Edit: 19:20:21, 30/04/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #47 on: 19:29:38, 30/04/20 »
They do wear them for a reason - but not the same reason, they are working in a clinical context.  If they were completely effective though, there would be far fewer casualties amongst them.  They also wear eye protection and scrubs.
In my opinion masks and disposable gloves while out shopping is a step to prevent catching it. I would not put my trust in other peoples hygiene or social distancing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/health-51205344

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 19:30:40, 30/04/20 »
Living in Scotland, I saw the announcement by Nicola Sturgeon and masks are not compulsory in Scotland. Face coverings (2 layers of material) are recommended in enclosed spaces, such as public transport and shops, where their effect may be to reduce to some degree transmission of the virus from an infected person, while having very little if any protective effect to the wearer.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 19:33:10, 30/04/20 »
In my opinion masks and disposable gloves while out shopping is a step to prevent catching it. I would not put my trust in other peoples hygiene or social distancing.

Unless you are properly wearing a N95 mask and don’t touch your face, you are unlikely to gain any significant benefit from a mask. There is probably a higher risk of a problem due to relaxing of social distancing and contamination of hands and face from the mask.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 19:58:09, 30/04/20 »

Surface contamination is an issue as there is no option but to touch things when shopping.  Gloves are a good idea.  The thing with disposable gloves is they have to be removed correctly to prevent contaminating your skin and the used gloves are a potential biohazard so have to be stored and disposed of appropriately.  They can also puncture or rip easily.  For this reason, I wear a set of black rubber household gloves which I disinfect with bleach spray between uses when I am out.  I can remove and replace them without touching the outsides so I can still drive my car.  I always clean my hands each time with an antiviral hand cleaner as well.
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #51 on: 20:10:03, 30/04/20 »
Unless you are properly wearing a N95 mask and don’t touch your face, you are unlikely to gain any significant benefit from a mask. There is probably a higher risk of a problem due to relaxing of social distancing and contamination of hands and face from the mask.
Getting hold of N95s is difficult at the moment but I do have some.  They are the best. The social distancing just does not sink in with some people.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 20:20:07, 30/04/20 »
So is the message that with a face mask on, gloves on, and social distancing we are invincible?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 20:22:41, 30/04/20 »
I must admit that video does look a bit like me.  8)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 20:26:24, 30/04/20 »
So is the message that with a face mask on, gloves on, and social distancing we are invincible?
If only - doesn't help the poor NHS and they get visors and scrubs too.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 20:47:38, 30/04/20 »
I saw what I believe to be an interesting article today -

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/30/the-guardian-view-on-johnsons-covid-19-plan-doubt-deny-and-dismiss
It is not as if they did not know they were ill prepared. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/28/exercise-cygnus-uncovered-pandemic-warnings-buried-government/
Austerity and Brexit have a lot to answer for.  The former mean they did not invest when they could have and the latter caused them to take their eye off the ball.  Throw in hubris and you have a recipe for disaster.

My S-i-L is part of the military trying to sort the mess out.  Even at this stage the NHS do not seem to have a plan.  He is chasing about trying to source things only for the NHS staff to change their mind after all the arrangements have been made, or they fail to follow up and arrange collection of the deliveries he has arranged.  Another contact is involved in building Nightingale Hospitals, he says plans are being changed even as they are being built resulting in a lot of nugatory work.
I watched Boris answering questions tonight - long on waffle, short on facts and taking responsibility.  I found myself longing for Dominic.
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #57 on: 20:49:02, 30/04/20 »
Unfortunately not but we can only try. O0 

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 10:21:22, 01/05/20 »
I made a face mask yesterday, wore it when I was shopping in Aldi. I was the only person with a mask on. I felt it was better to have some kind of barrier across my face when among people, better than nothing at all.

It was a bit uncomfortable. Had to make it to fasten at the back with Velcro. Elastic around the ears is no good for me with specs and a hearing aid. I will wear it again when near people.

ilona

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 11:17:14, 01/05/20 »
I made a face mask yesterday, wore it when I was shopping in Aldi. I was the only person with a mask on. I felt it was better to have some kind of barrier across my face when among people, better than nothing at all.

It was a bit uncomfortable. Had to make it to fasten at the back with Velcro. Elastic around the ears is no good for me with specs and a hearing aid. I will wear it again when near people.

ilona
Therein lies the issue.  People make their own masks and feel better wearing them because they think they afford some protection whereas the evidence is that homemade masks provide very little protection.  They have an inadequate seal and are made of the wrong kinds of material to act as an effective filter.  Moreover, people fiddle with the fit and touch their faces without sanitising their hands and start getting closer because they feel protected.
HMG needs to reinforce the message that masks are not a substitute for effective social distancing and good hygiene.  Nor are they an excuse to go out on non essential journeys.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy