Author Topic: TR: Cairngorms Backpack  (Read 3558 times)

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
TR: Cairngorms Backpack
« on: 09:53:22, 21/08/16 »
I didn't quite manage all the 4000-footers, but this circuit of the Lairig Ghru was still one of the best trips away I've ever had. I also learned that when people tell you the Caledonian midge is the vilest beast on the planet, they're not being dramatic.

https://summitstupid.com/2016/08/21/590/

PeakRambler

Re: TR: Cairngorms Backpack
« Reply #1 on: 10:11:17, 21/08/16 »
Brilliant report and photos. I love Loch Morlich, having sat on the shores when its been quiet as well as busy.

I'm missing the Cairngorms, and the Monadhliath, so it was nice to see those photos, and hopefully when my leg is healed, which by the way, is far more gory than yours was, (I have lots of metalwork going in to my leg and a cage around it), I'll be back up there, possibly 2018 unless a miracle happens sooner....

Thank you for sharing  O0

snoopdawg

« Reply #2 on: 10:14:32, 21/08/16 »
Enjoyed that report. You can't beat a gorms trip... it's good for the soul. Have a return trip in early May or late Sept/ Oct when the midgies are absent. I'm up there 3rd Oct for a weeks backpacking ,can't wait.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:57:46, 21/08/16 »
That has to be one of the best TRs I've read. To fall asleep with the tent door open and wake to the morning sun in such space and tranquility ..........................

I'm not religious but a phrase came to mind 'lift up mine eyes to the hills from whence cometh help' even better to be in those hills.

Thank you
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:35:25, 21/08/16 »
I love Loch Morlich, having sat on the shores when its been quiet as well as busy.

I was struck by how nice a place to be it was, despite the crowds. A perfect start to the trip. Good luck with your leg - despite having literally hundreds of bites on my legs, they've barely itched since. Either I got lucky or my nerve endings have been destroyed...

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:38:14, 21/08/16 »
Have a return trip in early May or late Sept/ Oct when the midgies are absent.

Got three weeks off at the start of September - despite having a Scottish to-do list longer than a big willy, I think the Cairngorms will be my first port of call. Just so much to explore. The scale of the place blew me away. Enjoy your trip!

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:42:13, 21/08/16 »
To fall asleep with the tent door open and wake to the morning sun in such space and tranquility ...
I tend to leave the door open when conditions allow - next best thing to a bivvy. Waking up when the sky's just turning light, and distant peaks are sillouhetted against the sky... Magic. Just wish I was more of a morning person so I could get up and enjoy the hills at ridiculous o' clock!

I agree with you about the healing qualities of the hills. I have no real concept of what people mean when they talk about "spiritual" experiences, but at times like that I do get a notion of what they're talking about.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:17:12, 22/08/16 »
That was a wonderful read, MoelPysgod, and the pictures are stunning. Your description of the second evening on the plateau, with the reindeer and the sunset, is so evocative - I almost felt like I was there! Thankfully for you, I wasn't   :)  and you were able to enjoy that idyllic time on your own, truly food for the soul!  O0

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:10:50, 22/08/16 »
Great TR and some stunning pics. O0

Will have to get up there one day.

If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:49:33, 04/09/16 »
Excellent TR, the Cairngorms are a heaven for backpackers (notwithstanding midges, pray for a breeze!) and the scale and atmosphere of the landscape is breathtaking. Makes me want to repeat our two Cairngorm backpacks right away.

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:16:29, 11/09/16 »
Reminded me of the time I went over the Lairig Ghru many years ago ..... on a bike.  Well, perhaps not always on it, had to carry it over the boulder field and wheel it across old snow patches.  Are there still people out there foolish enough to do this sort of thing?

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:42:42, 12/09/16 »
Makes me want to repeat our two Cairngorm backpacks right away.
Don't tell anyone but they were a big reason I went there, and also why I'm setting off up the Strath Nethy tomorrow morning.

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:43:37, 12/09/16 »
Altirando - apparently the area south of the 4000-footers around Derry Lodge is very popular with bikers.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy