Author Topic: Ben Macudi  (Read 2488 times)

dinger

Ben Macudi
« on: 13:03:55, 05/11/16 »
Well must be mad, me and a friend are doing 2 nights in the cairngorms and doing Ben macdui on route, apart from obviously crampons and ice pick can anyone whos done this route in winter give advice ie safe route ect?

snoopdawg

Re: Ben Macudi
« Reply #1 on: 13:56:06, 05/11/16 »
When are you doing it ?

dinger

« Reply #2 on: 13:57:02, 05/11/16 »
End of November

snoopdawg

« Reply #3 on: 14:09:31, 05/11/16 »
Keep an eye on the weather, it might be good, it could be awful with Gale force winds ,there will probably be snow cover. Ill see if I have some old photos. I have been up in April and couldn't make the top because of the wind conversely I have been up in Oct/nov and had a superb day. It's really too early to tell. In relation to the terrain from the approaches up from the ski car park the gradient is such is that you won't use an ice axe unless you veer off course, and the walk across the plateau is fairly level where your problem may be navigation should the cloud be down and the wind blowing. The final ascent up Macdui is gradual and as I say you may not use the axe but it should be carried in case of difficulties. The crampons or kahtoolas will be useful depending on the ground cover. A walking pole will be a good addition. Are you doing Cairngorm as well in a walk back across the plateau

dinger

« Reply #4 on: 14:15:10, 05/11/16 »
Thanks for info. Yes I think that's in our plans, but like you say it may change on the day depending on the weather situation.
We have planned for 2 nights camping but if there is nearby bothies then I'm sure that's the best idea during winter.

snoopdawg

« Reply #5 on: 14:22:06, 05/11/16 »
Bothies would be better in my opinion, there are two bothies nearby corrour and the Hutchinson hut both  of which would involve a drop off the plateau. Don't know if you have my Cairngorms walk report " cairngorm jolly" when I used these two bothies don't know your experience but a high camp would be hard cold work this time of the year with the short nights

Beinn There-Tae

« Reply #6 on: 13:33:40, 06/11/16 »
Take a couple of headtorches cause you'll be walking a lot in the dark.  O0
What's your plans? Circular from the ski centre. The Hutch bothy is small and might be popular.
There's the shelter stone if your stuck and like sleeping rough outdoors.
Bob Scotts bothy is at the other side at Derry Lodge. Could head for that and come back via Lairig Ghru.

Weather forecast is your guide. Don't be caught out up there in the wind and snow.

dinger

« Reply #7 on: 16:18:22, 06/11/16 »
We haven't planned a route just yet, but we will other options anyway depending on weather

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:35:01, 06/11/16 »
Hello,
I live on the west side of the Cairngorms.  I see that the advice given mostly suggests starting at the Southern end of the Gorms.  At the short daylight time of the year this makes a lot of sense especially so with most of the bothy shelter, as has been suggested, being accessible from that side.
Fitness, good navigation skills and good winter kit are very useful to have.  Tents can quickly be shredded if the weather is typical for the time of year.  Also you could have a couple of days of calm weather. :)
I would be heading for a Bothy which means that you don't have to trail all of your kit onto the high ground.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:13:32, 07/11/16 »

I hope this isn't teaching you to suck eggs.

The Cairngorm plateau is a very exposed place this time of year and at the moment it's snowing heavily up there. It's not the best place to camp, your best bet is either around the shores of Loch Etchachan (Grid Square NJ 00 00) at the top of the Luibeg Burn (Grid NO 011 958) or at the northern end of the Lairig Ghru (NH 959 037). Other features to make a note of/program into your GPS are the top of the Fiacaill a Choire Chais ridge (NH 999 040). The top of Lurcher's Gully (NH 973 033) and the top of Cairngorm (NJ 005 041) these mark the start of the safe descent routes to the north. It's also worth plotting Lochan Buidhe (NH 983 011) this is half way between Cairn Lochan and Ben Macdui.
There's also two bothies, the Hutchison (NJ 023 998) this has just been done up and is quite nice inside but it's also popular at weekends. Corrour (NN 981 958) this is extremely popular and is very likely to be heaving with people who may not be entirely sober.
Navigating down from Ben Macdui to Loch Etchachan require care as there are big crags both to the north and south.     

dinger

« Reply #10 on: 20:39:33, 07/11/16 »
Thanks Owen I will take it on board.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy