Author Topic: Coronavirus: Go Outdoors set to call in administrators  (Read 3871 times)

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
Re: Coronavirus: Go Outdoors set to call in administrators
« Reply #15 on: 20:40:55, 22/06/20 »
So you'll be buying your coffee online from now on then?  ::)
Can usually do that.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:42:27, 22/06/20 »
I'd love to give HMS Vernon back.

Where we live the MAJOR benefit to us is that once the shopping centre opened about 17 years ago all vandalism ended on our estate within a day! The twinkling lights of the shops, bars and eating places now attract them like moths to a bulb! The properties over there may be more expensive than here but we no longer have to deal with the urinators, the condom brigade or the needle buddies, they are all now on 'over there!' We now live in a little oasis of desirable properties. Not for us though, we plan to die here.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:39:12, 22/06/20 »
Can usually do that.

Can usually do what?

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 07:30:25, 23/06/20 »
What is totally surprising is that most of the manufacturers don't appear to have looked at the bigger picture and moved to direct retailing to the customer cutting the retailers out of the market altogether.
I can get most gear I want direct from manufacturers. Just to name a few in recent years - Buffalo, Paramo, Montane...
Buffalo even custom made stuff for my little kids.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:11:25, 23/06/20 »
I can get most gear I want direct from manufacturers. Just to name a few in recent years - Buffalo, Paramo, Montane...

I agree that you can but in my experience most manufacturers currently only sell their goods direct at full RRP (stock clearances excepted) which is clearly aimed at pushing you towards buying from the retailers who almost always offer prices lower than the RRP.

The point I was making is that there is a huge margin between the price the manufacturers sell to retailers at and the so called RRP - it's this price margin that the manufacturers could easily take advantage of by selling direct to the consumer at more realistic prices taking the retailers out of the market.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 08:27:51, 23/06/20 »
Ah, I see. As I never pay anywhere near full price, that issue didn't occur to me.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 08:29:37, 23/06/20 »
it's this price margin that the manufacturers could easily take advantage of by selling direct to the consumer at more realistic prices taking the retailers out of the market.

The problem then is that they would undermine the outlets that get them the majority of their sales.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:37:19, 23/06/20 »
At retailers I usually get about 20-25% off. Going direct I usually get 40-50% off (when they charge me).
I guess that me wearing something bought at x doesn't really give them much back, but me wearing something made by y does.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 08:50:58, 23/06/20 »
Maybe town centres could become housing estates to avoid building on green sites?
There are certainly too many retail units and yet they still get built.
Where I work the whole town centre is pretty much 1 big shopping centre, I've never seen all the units full and yet nearly 2 years ago they opened a huge extension the flagship store of which is Debenhams. The Debenhams store is now going to close partly because of the high rents but the rumour is that the centre itself, and its parent company, are in financial trouble so they can't reduce the rents.

We all have to decide what retailers we feel are important enough to spend the money and time to keep open.
My standard clothing is boots/Converse, jeans/shorts, shirt/Tshirt, hoodie/top. The only thing I need to try on in a shop is the boots everything else I can order on line in 10 mins, try on tomorrow and, on the rare occasions that things don't fit or I don't like them, send rejects back for free. As far as I am concerned all clothes shops can close. Walking gear, for me, I like to see so I will go and pay for it in a shop.

Trying to hold back time on the demise of boring shopping is the equivalent of smashing the Spinning Jenny. The world is changing fast and big names will continue to disappear from the high street.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:51:36, 23/06/20 »
At retailers I usually get about 20-25% off. Going direct I usually get 40-50% off (when they charge me).
I guess that me wearing something bought at x doesn't really give them much back, but me wearing something made by y does.

If and when everyone buys directly from retailers there will no longer be outlets in town centres and big stores in retail parks to browse, try and buy, and no people needed to work in these places (people who are often fellow outdoor enthusiasts).

Some, like me, will think that these facilities and people are worth paying extra for. Others, like many here, probably think they're not.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:59:57, 23/06/20 »
Oh, I still buy in shops on those rare occasions I have time. Usually while on holiday, as otherwise it is rather a trek to get to one and I don't have the time. I also do try to include visits to local* outdoor shops and independent cafes in the schedule when I am instructing, bringing a group's worth of custom their way.
* Local to where I'm working at that time. There aren't any outdoor shops local to where I live.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:01:08, 23/06/20 »

Maybe town centres could become housing estates to avoid building on green sites?

If only
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:38:20, 23/06/20 »
It is interesting how people think that we should only build on brownfield sites.
In the UK, less than 2% of the land area is housing, all urbanisation is less than 10%.
Our cities, in world terms are comparatively low density.
I think the real trouble is that they have grown with little proper planning.

Retail is an odd thing.  The large retailers got pushed out of towns as they were a perceived threat to the smaller retailers.
Now, some towns want the large people to come back, but at a high price.
Now it is easy to get into a circular argument about price and quality, supplying/dictating what the customer wants or not.  But it seems to me that people want convenience over everything else.  Our towns are just not set up for this anymore.

In environmental economics, there are systems to 'value nature'.  I think what needs to happen is that we need to 'value retail' in a similar manner.  Though I think the results would be a bit of a disappointment.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:12:41, 23/06/20 »
I would hate to see them go. Generally I don't like shopping, but Go Outdoors is the one shop where I easily spend browsing 1 hour+ regularly and I have regularly bought things there too. My local Go Outdoors is within walking distance (45 minutes) of my flat, the staff is friendly and they have price-match so you don't have to worry that there are cheaper deals online (I have used their price match -10% plenty of times).

However, in recent years they have missed out on hundreds of ££££ from me. Why? Because they decided to not sell my favourite walking boots (Meindl Bhutan) in size 7.5 anymore (and 7 is really too small and 8 really too large). I have bought 5 pairs in the last 7 years, but in recent years I was forced to buy them online from another retailer because of the missing size 7.5 (which they were selling in the past). I have pointed this out to their staff and to Go Outdoors directly several times. Perhaps the more limited sizes range is more profitable for them, but with boots the correct sizing is everything, so they lost me as a footwear customer (and shoes are easily my greatest outdoor expense).

Anyway, I hope they will survive.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 11:27:06, 23/06/20 »
I've read that 2% figure before. Where does it come from? Do I believe the figure, no of course not!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy