Author Topic: Coronavirus: Go Outdoors set to call in administrators  (Read 3874 times)

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Re: Coronavirus: Go Outdoors set to call in administrators
« Reply #30 on: 11:45:22, 23/06/20 »
I've read that 2% figure before. Where does it come from? Do I believe the figure, no of course not!

That figure appears to only include the direct earth under the footprint of the house, and does not include drives, paths, gardens and any external spaces.

From what I understand the larger issue is affordable housing is not being promoted for many people, and since 'having a stake in the system' is a huge reason for inter-generational stability, this can only reap problems in the future.  House builders tend to prioritise more expensive, larger homes which forces an under-supply of smaller properties, though the quality of those homes seems to be dropping with more and more build errors.  From my friends who work in that field, the problem is that their 'test home' only has to be built to a high standard and the rest of the project is often more slapdash with glaring faults which do not appear until a buyer has taken over the property.  Because of that I'd always consider a survey worth the money.

Convenience is a major factor as ST says, I don't think you can persist with the high-street model with 1) paid parking in town centres and 2) losing major retailers from that HS as they move to online purchases + returns. 

As for Go Outdoors, it's a real shame but with more and more people comfortable with purchasing online, why would you pay the extra 20% for the identical item when next-day delivery is such a common thing.  The only outdoor stores I now buy from are the independent retailers and try to prioritise those guys.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 12:43:37, 23/06/20 »
I've read that 2% figure before. Where does it come from? Do I believe the figure, no of course not!

I believe it. I think it seems highly likely that about 2% of the UK's land is covered by housing.

Here's a link to a relevant and fascinating study: A_Land_Cover_Atlas_of_the_United_Kingdom_Document

(Edit: If you wish to include non-housing urban areas such as parks under the 'urban' category, the figure is closer to 5%.)
« Last Edit: 12:47:51, 23/06/20 by WhitstableDave »
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:57:36, 23/06/20 »
I think it is hidden here, was on previous releases.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/environmentalaccounts/bulletins/uknaturalcapitalaccounts/2019
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 14:53:59, 23/06/20 »
 ::) 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 15:12:04, 23/06/20 »

Here are some figures from the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41901294  

As you can see, an overall average figure doesn’t represent the distribution over the UK as a whole. They are also a distortion of the facts, as they don’t show how the roads and buildings carve up the ‘wilder’ land into parcels that may not support larger wildlife populations. If we squeezed the 6% of built on land into a corner of the country, it might be better for wildlife. Also, the large proportion of land identified as farmland gives no indication of amount of hedgerows or wild areas.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 16:07:45, 23/06/20 »
Also, the large proportion of land identified as farmland gives no indication of amount of hedgerows or wild areas.
Or the grading of the land.  A lot of farm land is unproductive.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 16:55:51, 23/06/20 »
Where I work the whole town centre is pretty much 1 big shopping centre...
    ...the rumour is that the centre itself, and its parent company, are in financial trouble so they can't reduce the rents.
It looks like the rumours were true. Intu, who own 17 shopping centres in the UK including Lakeside and the Trafford Centre, are on the verge of collapse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53136807

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 06:54:10, 24/06/20 »
The plot thickens as JD Sports buys back Go Outdoors for £56.5 million after pushing it into administration.  ::)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53152566

https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail-consumer/jd-sports-buys-go-outdoors-18476214

https://news.sky.com/story/jd-sports-buys-back-go-outdoors-after-pushing-it-into-administration-12013411

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2020/06/23/most-jobs-saved-as-jd-sports-buys-back-go-outdoors-business-in-pre-pack-deal

Is it just me or does something definitely not smell right here when you consider they originally bought it for £112 million back in 2016?
I just wonder where the other £56 million has mysteriously vanished to?
« Last Edit: 07:45:00, 24/06/20 by kinkyboots »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 07:20:27, 24/06/20 »
This looks like a bog standard pre-pack administration.  Effectively a new company is set up to become GoOutdoors and take over the business of the old go outdoors. It will become a sub tenant on the leases  Then the leases will be renegotiated.  The landlord can accept the new terms or sue the old company, which doesn't have any money apart from the proceeds of the admin sale, which is probably owed to the bank anyway.

JD are a pretty cutthroat outfit, in my experience.

Lee R

« Reply #39 on: 19:50:26, 24/06/20 »
Our local one is a couple of miles away. Yes, not the best shop in the world but still okay to have a browse around & pick things up. I certainly wouldn't entertain buying boots/clothes online due to fit/sizing etc that's for sure!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 13:58:49, 25/06/20 »
I have to say that there are some things that I would just not consider buying online - boots and rucksack spring to mind, as fit is so important.
I completely agree.  Also when you want something to work with an existing piece of kit.  Crampons and such. 

Our local Screw Fix always use to ask the regulars to come into the store with a catalogue number and buy in store.  Same offers same prices.  Since Covid19 that has had to change and all ordering is online, pick up at store.  The net result of this, as the store workers are very aware, is that once Covid19 is tamed and it will be, people will continue to order on line and the front desk staff will no longer be required. For customers this means a poorer service.  Those simple short till confirmation conversations will no longer happen.  So we will end up buying the wrong item more often than now and have to return it and reorder.  Small things but it's a slippery slope IMHO and all for the sake of saving a few bob and earning the share holders an extra bottle of bubbly.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 15:11:21, 25/06/20 »
My local builders merchant was happy for me to go up into their loft to rummage around for the right sized galvanised brackets. Pre Covid, that is. Wonder whether they will be so happy in future.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 16:30:50, 25/06/20 »
I feel for the people who work in GO.  Probably furloughed then to come back to this news.  As if times weren't crappy enough  :(

Well said, Mel. I agree.
Skip

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 13:38:48, 01/07/20 »
I've just had a Go Outdoors brochure come in the post. On the cover it says, hundreds of half price deals, and 20% off big brands on footwear and clothing. As I got my last boots from there, the personal attention I got from the assistant found me the right exact comfortable pair, I am tempted to go back and buy another pair of the same make. Some of the deals in the brochure look pretty tempting as well. Notice on the cover says, We have re opened. We have a big store in Scun thorpe

ilona

Lee R

« Reply #44 on: 21:40:38, 01/07/20 »
I've just placed an order for a very cheap, apparently 4 person tent!! Not to camp in, more as a beach/day shelter.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy