Author Topic: Sca fell tragedy  (Read 7711 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Sca fell tragedy
« Reply #15 on: 16:50:44, 01/01/12 »
Nothing wrong in doing it if you're experienced and capable in those conditions, no idea of course whether this pair were.
Where there's a will ...

Marmitegeoff

« Reply #16 on: 17:28:23, 01/01/12 »
Nothing wrong in doing it if you're experienced and capable in those conditions, no idea of course whether this pair were.
But setting off at 11:30 would indicate that they were not, 5 to 6 hours of daylight to get up and down ?

alanstarkie2001

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 17:55:36, 01/01/12 »
I think setting off so late at this time of year and weather, indicates lack of judgement / experience and the willingness to accept that the job just cannot be done with any margin of safety.

At about 7:00am this morning, myself, garytombom and Mountaingirl had to make such a decision on the Miners Path near Snowdon in atrocious and dangerous conditions. The mountains will always be there for another day. Sad story all the same.  :(
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:26:43, 01/01/12 »
Sad, sad news.

Bit more info on this report http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2011/12/31/rescuers-find-body-of-man-after-mountain-search including the following -

"Rescuers resumed their search for the man, believed to be an accomplished fellrunner, at 8am today, but the helicopter was unable to access the upper reaches of the mountain due to low cloud."

"The inspector said the man was dressed appropriately for the conditions and there were no suspicious circumstances."
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:38:03, 01/01/12 »
Thanks for the link OneF.   Thinking of his family at this time..
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:00:14, 01/01/12 »
But setting off at 11:30 would indicate that they were not, 5 to 6 hours of daylight to get up and down ?

Maybe not, latest seems to indicate he was an 'experienced' fell runner so it would probably be well within his capabilities, clearly something went wrong though  :-\
Where there's a will ...

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 20:00:43, 01/01/12 »
As we waited at train station, for some of us to get the train to catch
the La'al Ratty, in the morning, we saw a helicopter flying towards Wasdale.   :(
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

docpaul

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:05:48, 01/01/12 »
Unthinkable for his friends and family - heart goes out to them.
Courage doesn’t always come in a loud roar.
Sometimes courage comes as a small voice at the end of the day saying,
“I’ll try again tomorrow.”

Scarface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 00:01:50, 02/01/12 »
Condolences to his kin, terrible start to the year.

Let's all be careful out there and lookout for each other.
'You only get out what you put in...'

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:14:21, 02/01/12 »
Quote from: Marmitegeoff on Yesterday at 17:28:23

Maybe not, latest seems to indicate he was an 'experienced' fell runner so it would probably be well within his capabilities, clearly something went wrong though  :-\

One thing that really annoys me, you read some fantastic routes in magazines, and online, often in very good detail, including distance, times, ascent grid refs and anything else you're likely to need.

But, one big flaw.

All too often, the times quoted are a little too ambitious.

Often, when I recalculate these times, using Naismiths complete with a more realistic average speed, I can add an extra 50% on, just to be safe.

If I was to take Scouts (not that I would for common sense reasons), then I would reduce the speed yet further, to accomodate their slower navigation abilities, often almost doubling the times quoted.

I've seen ascent times of 2½ hours quoted with 1½ for the descent!     :-\

But I've also seen novice times of 6 - 8 hours for the ascent quoted.....

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:17:55, 02/01/12 »
All too often, the times quoted are a little too ambitious.

Excellent point Mike  O0   Something less experienced walkers need to be aware of.
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 16:25:19, 02/01/12 »

Excellent point Mike  O0   Something less experienced walkers need to be aware of.

I suppose the thing is,when I was training, we had Naismiths rammed down our throats. But, its been a godsend on many occaisions.

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 17:19:12, 02/01/12 »
I usually double the Naismith  ;D and anything shorter I come in is a bonus  O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

HumperLumper

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:24:08, 02/01/12 »
I usually double the Naismith  ;D and anything shorter I come in is a bonus  O0
I treble it when I'm wi thee  ;D

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 17:27:34, 02/01/12 »
I treble it when I'm wi thee  ;D
;D I didnt know you were that good at maths. Whats 3 hours and 46 minutes times by 3 then?  Whats that smell? It s rich taking his socks off to work out the answer  ::)
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy