Author Topic: Cold innit?  (Read 7537 times)

Uncle Grumpy

• Veteran Member
Cold innit?
« on: 16:47:57, 21/11/08 »
It's amazing what topics dominate the news these days. I'm sick of hearing about  Come Dancing ,the Brand/Ross fiasco and the cold snap that's coming. The way forecasters have been getting excited about it, you'd think we were all going to perish beneath the sudden arrival of a rapidly spreading ice sheet.
I'm just back from walking the dog and had to put my hat n'gloves on. The ice age has arrived (at least it will shut the global warming bores up for a couple of days)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Re: Cold innit?
« Reply #1 on: 17:08:24, 21/11/08 »
We were in the South Lakes earlier today. Bit windy and some light rain, but no sign of any glaciation in the valleys  ;)

Dave
http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:10:10, 21/11/08 »
Just been up to High Raise today - sunshine to start, followed by a little drizzle, then hail, sleet and finally a bit of snow. All mixed in with a very strong wind - it was baltic but nice. Had all my layers on and then some more.   The sky was very clear on the way home so expect a big frost...maybe

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:20:57, 21/11/08 »
I walked up to Sty Head Tarn today and almost regreted listening to the weather forecast for I had the warmest gear on I've got,  and I did feel too hot.....
but then I was glad I was wearing it all when it started blowing on the way down.

“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:56:40, 22/11/08 »
 Not too bad here, a light dusting of snow on the high peaks but calm and dare I say , mild
Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:58:57, 22/11/08 »
I rarely watch tv news because in my opinion it's all hype, spin and hysteria as well as being limited to the tiny handful of items they want to show you, and I don't buy newspapers which are even worse, and politically biased too. (How do I manage? I skim through tv text news each day, picking out the bits that interest me.)

As for tv weather forecasts, I've more or less given up on them too. Even though  meteorology is one of my interests, I still live in an era of isobars, fronts and barometric pressure.. 

They use a good chunk at the start telling us what weather we've already had or are having at the moment, and they even manage to get that wrong sometimes. Have you ever heard them apologise for making a complete cockup of it the previous day? Don't tell me how complex the UK weather is and how changeable it can be, I know that. Just look at the technology they have available these days.

Then they spend so long waffling on about Scotland and Northern Ireland (I have no intention of offending those of you from these regions) that by the time they have meandered their way down to the south, via Wales and the West, my attention has drifted away.

I don't want to rekindle any north-south hostilities, but the fact is that that the big area of the south-east around London, where something like a quarter of the UK's population lives, hardly ever gets a mention in forecasts.  You watch, and see if I'm right.

Never mind about going for a walk, most people down here who watch it simply want to know if they can hang the washing out tomorrow, or go for a round of golf, but the forecasters are only interested in real weather, so we tend to get left out of it.

kirbstones

« Reply #6 on: 13:46:49, 22/11/08 »
I don't want to rekindle any north-south hostilities, but the fact is that that the big area of the south-east around London, where something like a quarter of the UK's population lives, hardly ever gets a mention in forecasts. 

Perhaps that's because you don't really get any interesting weather down there Howard! (sound of match being put to kindling)  >:D

But be fair. A few flakes of snow in Essex and the whole south east seems to grind to a halt ( glowing embers appear)  >:D >:D

Oop north, (as we say round here) snow's just something that happens now and then, we shovel it off our drives  and get on with life.  Although sadly not as often as we used to.
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Uncle Grumpy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:51:45, 22/11/08 »
It annoys me that the once respected BBC forecast courtesy of the MET office has now become a 'weather show' full of fancy graphics, distractingly attractive girls and a stupid slanting map makes the South East bigger than it actually is.
The principal of forecasting, whereby you were given a brief summery of what to expect (afterall nobody knows what's actually going to happen) has become a proclamation of the weather you WILL HAVE. This unfortunately lays the BBC open to all sorts of criticism.
Some find the new graphics confusing, I find them irritating. What happened to the usefull coloured temperature charts?  Why is the synoptic chart rarely included.
It seems we are no longer being allowed to try and work out the weather for ourselves.
Despite multimillion pound graphics and computer model technology the BBC can't either.
There, had me rant! I was up on the pennine moors with my dog this a.m and can confirm it was rather chilly.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:08:38, 22/11/08 »
The Beeb's forecast is pretty hopeless at giving information on what the weather is likely to be tommorrow, other than in very general terms. The 5 day forecasts are laughable and change dramatically from day to day, but they're almost always wrong.  They did say it would be cold today in NE England and Scotland, and it is, but, given a map of the UK with the isobars and fronts on it and I could have predicted that myself. I'm just trying to work out what value they're adding, and I can't think of any offhand.

I feel much better for that!

And it snowed a bit this morning....
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:57:16, 22/11/08 »
The 5 day forecasts are laughable and change dramatically from day to day, but they're almost always wrong. 

That's reminded me.  If you look at the video forecast on BBCi and then look at the forecast maps on the same, you often two get different forecasts!  You'd think there'd be someone who's job it is to see that they're the same, wouldn't you.  The words "Act", "Get" and "Together" spring to mind.

And to reply to kirbstones who earlier said we don't get any really interesting weather down here, yes, that's true, but it would still be nice to have some idea of what to expect! 

And we certainly rarely see snow.  We had a whole inch of it in February 2007, that was the first for some years.  As a result of which trains stopped running, Heathrow airport ground to a halt and all the schools closed for the day.  Large numbers of local residents, the majority of whom originated from warmer countries and had never seen snow before, spent the day building snowmen.  The following day, when the snow had melted, I made a mint going round picking up all the 5p coins they'd used for the eyes.

walkingDi

« Reply #10 on: 00:11:56, 26/11/08 »
It was cold today. It was great! An ice layer on the huge puddles in the New Forest and a shrewd wind blowing from the north somewhere. Lovely! I was all wrapped up in thermals and fleeces and woolly things. I like the cold ... but only on my terms. There was also a big blue sky and a bright shiny thing that made everything look pretty.

As for weather forecasting, I swear our regional TV studios don't have a window in their weather office because they were telling me that the weather was doing something it wasn't right at that moment. Something about sunshine and outside the window there were leaden skies and sheeting rain. I think I believe my window.
« Last Edit: 00:14:27, 26/11/08 by walkingDi »
Not all who wander are lost

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:00:20, 26/11/08 »
I was all wrapped up in thermals and fleeces and woolly things.

Winter draws on, as they say.

Alright, I was just leaving....

David Eames

« Reply #12 on: 20:01:19, 26/11/08 »
Just 2 points.

1. It's the UK
2, It's winter

Case closed  ;D
David

sloboy

« Reply #13 on: 08:27:32, 27/11/08 »
Frosty this morning ,might have to get my Ray Mears costume out of the closet. O0

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:41:45, 27/11/08 »
Frosty this morning ,might have to get my Ray Mears costume out of the closet. O0

What, dodgy shorts?  ;)
« Last Edit: 20:45:33, 27/11/08 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy