Author Topic: Campsites and sleeping in your car  (Read 17852 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Campsites and sleeping in your car
« Reply #15 on: 15:07:11, 21/05/14 »
I think if my dog was still alive I'd have felt braver but ... dunno... on my own.... I wouldn't feel safe in a tent - not much protection from scary monsters and weirdos  ;D   

I'll give sleeping in my car a go first and see how vulnerable I feel and take it from there  O0

But, when you are in your tent, no one really knows who is in there but in your car EVERYONE will be watching you and know you are alone, bwahahaha
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 15:30:12, 21/05/14 »

Couldn't you borrow a couple of firemen to take with you as added security?  ;)

No I'm keeping them busy for a while  :D ;D ;D

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:01:54, 21/05/14 »

No I'm keeping them busy for a while  :D ;D ;D

Somehow, I thought you might spot that one Ruth ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

Ho11yberry

« Reply #18 on: 12:40:26, 22/05/14 »
To go back to the original question!  In my experience, many 'organised' campsites forbid sleeping in cars or other vehicles (ie. vans) which have not been adapted for sleeping in. 

The more basic and quiet the site, the more likely they are to allow it.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:45:11, 22/05/14 »
I have always had large estate type cars where you can put the back seats down and sleep in them. My present car, a Meriva, not quite as long as an estate but with more headroom, it is fine to sleep in. I take a sun bed mattress, sleeping bags, duvet, and pillows and it's quite comfortable. I take a small cooker so I can have a coffee in the morning. To be honest I feel safer locked in my car than I do in a tent, and I don't have a soggy tent to pack away if it rains.
Ilona

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:31:44, 22/05/14 »

Couldn't you borrow a couple of firemen to take with you as added security?  ;)

I borrowed 5 fireman to get a ring off my finger that was stuck lol its was lots of fun :)
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:32:49, 22/05/14 »
Actually I have visited several camp sites were they wouldn't notice if you went to use the shower block as a non resident.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

Catbells

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:34:13, 22/05/14 »
I have always had large estate type cars where you can put the back seats down and sleep in them. My present car, a Meriva, not quite as long as an estate but with more headroom, it is fine to sleep in. I take a sun bed mattress, sleeping bags, duvet, and pillows and it's quite comfortable. I take a small cooker so I can have a coffee in the morning. To be honest I feel safer locked in my car than I do in a tent, and I don't have a soggy tent to pack away if it rains.
Ilona
Do you remember my birthday? at the campsite in the Peaks, my dinner was a Sausage Cassolet lol  I can't repeat what you said about the sausages ha ha
Catbells, a truly lovely walk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:22:30, 22/05/14 »
Actually I have visited several camp sites were they wouldn't notice if you went to use the shower block as a non resident.

I wouldn't dare park in a random layby and sleep  :o  One of my concerns is, as fit old bird says, feeling vulnerable.

Having said that, I've been googling tents  ;D  ..... and found this

No Andy, I do not want a couple of firemen to accompany me.  They'd probably keep putting my camp fire out  ;D  ... though I have been asked if I'd like to accompany one of them for a wild camp on Skiddaw  ::)

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 23:31:51, 22/05/14 »
Mel you can always give us a shout and borrow a tent O0
R.I.P. Dave.

Andy Broadley

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 07:02:10, 23/05/14 »

I wouldn't dare park in a random layby and sleep  :o  One of my concerns is, as fit old bird says, feeling vulnerable.

Having said that, I've been googling tents  ;D  ..... and found this

No Andy, I do not want a couple of firemen to accompany me.  They'd probably keep putting my camp fire out  ;D  ... though I have been asked if I'd like to accompany one of them for a wild camp on Skiddaw  ::)

Be a very wild camp up there. It's all rocks  :o  Not so bad lower down but not many places to camp once you get higher up I'd have thought
The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step

Country Walking 1000 Mile Challenge 2017  623.5  miles :)

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:20:03, 23/05/14 »

Be a very wild camp up there. It's all rocks  :o  Not so bad lower down but not many places to camp once you get higher up I'd have thought

I would have to agree about skiddaw, its pretty exposed up there.
 And to be honest I'm certain you would be fine on a campsite, usually there are loads of other people about in nearby tents. I have ended up chatting to some of the neighbours on many occations.

If you are driving in a car to the tent spot, you could easily take duvets etc for a comfortable night?
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:24:59, 23/05/14 »
Mel you can always give us a shout and borrow a tent O0

Cheers yeti  O0   Might take you up on that and have a practice "do I like it or not" camp in my back garden  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 08:33:36, 23/05/14 »
Andy / R2R ... I think the guy was being .... erm... well, let's just say he started talking about taking me up various gulleys  :o ;D   The conversation did start off as a sensible one about wild camping though  ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:45:28, 23/05/14 »
And to be honest I'm certain you would be fine on a campsite, usually there are loads of other people about in nearby tents. I have ended up chatting to some of the neighbours on many occations.

If you are driving in a car to the tent spot, you could easily take duvets etc for a comfortable night?

If I do have a bash at camping, that's what I'd be doing - camping at a campsite so I could take lots of creature comforts with me  :) 

In the meantime, I'll give sleeping in my car a go as a first adventure  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy