Author Topic: Counties  (Read 10348 times)

wintonian

Re: Counties
« Reply #15 on: 19:26:52, 26/09/15 »
Current or historical?

Cumberland

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:37:48, 26/09/15 »
Current or historical?

Cumberland

I guess she means current as I suggested Humberside which Mel assures me doesn't exist now, lol
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:09:14, 26/09/15 »
Staffordshire

sbt

« Reply #18 on: 21:15:43, 26/09/15 »
Caerphilly

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:05:02, 26/09/15 »
Hmmmm  I did mean current Counties when I posted this  :-\  but it’s mi own daft fault for not saying (waddya mean you’re not mind-readers?  :D  ) so the ones so far are all fair game (though I’ll split Cumbria into Westmorland and Cumberland so Sarah and wintonian have both “had a go”  :)  ).  

My reason for asking?  Well, I’m not into Wainwright Bagging or Munro Bagging, long distance walks aren’t my “thing” either.  Basically, I just like to get out and about  :)  .  But I need a walking goal – a project – a tick list - for next year and “County Bagging” seems like a plan so I thought I'd ask the good people on the forum to name a few to get me started  :)  

Looks like I’m going to spend a happy remains of 2015 researching and planning next year’s adventures  :D  

Thank you all for your suggestions  O0  

Now, which County first?  ???  Me thinks breaking my "Scottish duck" in Winter might have me breaking my English neck so I might save those suggestions for the warmer months  ;D  

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:18:26, 26/09/15 »
what about the "county tops"? There are 119 of them  O0

or something easier, every Dale in the Dales?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Yorkshire_Dales

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:04:58, 26/09/15 »
Too popular Bri.  I did think about National Park and AONB Bagging or Trig Bagging but again, too popular, I want something different.  A bit quirky and unusual.  Summat to get my thinking gear round.  Bagging an "area" gives me a goal to focus on yet gives me flexibility to wander up a mountain, visit a lake, find a folly, discover a waterfall, get spooked-out in a forest, wander through a village that time forgot.

And besides, I've just discovered I'll be bagging "Middlesex" in February  :D

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:11:47, 26/09/15 »
I was going to suggest alphabetically, but Middlesex in Feb probably puts paid to that!

To add an extra dimension have you considered including geocaching when you travel the counties? There's usually plenty of local information to be learned and they are to be found in all sorts of places.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:41:13, 26/09/15 »
Haha Sarah, I thought alphabetically at first too but then the logistics of me getting to some of these places will probably mean taking a few days off work, so areas close by might have to be done on a long weekend away or be the basis of one of my summer holidays  :)

I'd not considered geocaching to be honest so I'll look into that - might give me some starting points for areas I have absolutely no clue about whatsoever  ;D

Steve and Angie

« Reply #24 on: 09:30:25, 27/09/15 »
Gloucestershire

Where we live

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:33:39, 27/09/15 »
Don't forget Rutland - the smallest county
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 10:35:29, 27/09/15 »
Shropshire; my home county, which has taught me not to need a 'tick list' as a motivator, there are hills and lakes, streams and woods, dells and rivers which in their countless combinations spark of a curiosity to combine in yet another mix.

My home patch has taught that terrain is the motivator and a map is the key, not that Shropshire has kept me shackled within her borders, far from it. I will look at the map of another and see that combination of ways and features that triggers that itch.

Not far from here;

I met a walker following a guide book, little green jobby from Millets or others, I asked him what he would do when he had walked all the routes in it. He said buy another book, the book's editorial kids you that has been written by an expert, in what plagiarism, it has only been plagiarized from the OS map and converted into a less versatile set of instructions.

A decade has past since that photo was taken, yesterday I caught a glimpse of the Black Clee, where it was taken, I was on Beacon Hill in Radnorshire, not one of today's counties, a part of greater Powys. Moving clockwise from the Clee Hills, it was a bit hazy I think the Malvern hills were on the horizon, Brecon Beacons to our south and the broad undulations reaching out into the Pembroke Peninsular, Cader Idris, The Arran ridge, Berwyns, Corndon Hill, the Stiperstones and Longmynd, where I completed my panoramic view back to the Clee.

It is not that these hills are destination to be ticked off, it is the ground between them some known, some giving a hint of more to found and now a lot screaming in my mind to be re-visited.
« Last Edit: 10:39:13, 27/09/15 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Slipkid

« Reply #27 on: 11:32:49, 27/09/15 »
Don't forget Rutland - the smallest county

Depends on the tide on the Isle of Wight. If the tide is out, Rutland is the smallest, if the tide is in the  Isle of Wight is the smallest. Not sure if that's true but it was on QI.

route2rock

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 13:26:28, 27/09/15 »
Too popular Bri.  I did think about National Park and AONB Bagging or Trig Bagging but again, too popular, I want something different.

Some ideas...
The lowest spot per county
The oldest town/village in each
The oldest pubs
The award winning pubs
The birthplace or well known cakes/deserts (gingerbread, pasties, bakewell puddings)
Birthplace of a set of people (like poets etc)
Find out what I've been up to @ http://www.instagram.com/route2rock :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:43:40, 27/09/15 »
How about visiting villages/castles/pubs that appear on tv shows but have different names e.g Last of the summer wine  O0

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy