Author Topic: New Board Suggestion?  (Read 10370 times)

canal walker

Re: New Board Suggestion?
« Reply #30 on: 14:30:59, 02/12/15 »
If you want to find all the canal type stuff you just go to the top right of the home page in the box next to SEARCH you type in the letters C   A   N   A   L then hit the search button and as if by magic all canal walkers stuff appears along with the other 9 (nine) pages of canal orientated info.

Simples
MWM, I find your attempt at humour (sarcasm) to be rather offensive.]Yes you can use the search for canal walks and you can just as easily use the search for Wales, Lake District, Scotland etc.
In fact why have a board in the first place, just put it all on a general topic, then search.

Malcolm   

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:24:26, 02/12/15 »

words fail me

Think I am starting to understand how Glyno feels, well just for a moment  ;D

On another tack I decided to have a look how the spin off, rival, walker(s) forum site approached this and how well they are doing.

Our site has 18 subject boards and the walker(s) forum site has 28 subject boards

Looking at their topics counts, they have been live since july 2013 (approx 18 months), where they have mirrored this site the subject boards seem to be well used.

Where they have added additional boards they seem to be less well used ie

As of 2/12/2015

New Forest Board has 1 topics
Exmoor Board has 2 topics
South Downs Board has 3 topics
Loch Lomond Board has 4 topics
Pembroke Coast Board has 6 topics

On the other hand where they have mirrored our site

The walkers bar board has 543 topics
Lake District Board has 443 topics

It s the same old same old most folks are interested in Lakes/ North Wales/Peak district and aving a good natter, backs up what a lot of folks on this site have been saying that this site is set up about right, it works, why change it.

My guess is that if we set up minority boards as the walker(s) forum have they would hardly get used.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 16:06:38, 02/12/15 »
that will be because there aren't any moderators since March this year, so the only input you will get is from the site owner Chris.

You may want to PM him if it's a concern.
Thanks for clearing that up, but nope, it's not me that's concerned
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 19:06:14, 02/12/15 »
Guys, guys, let me just say something, maybe I should have mentioned it in my opening post but I didn’t think it was relevant, but, just to clarify…  

I messaged Chris (site owner) asking about the addition of a graded scramble/climbing board as there is a lot of interest at the moment in scrambling – as in the focus is on walking to do a scramble, rather than a walk that has a bit of a clamber up a rocky bit.  His reply was that I should post the question on the forum and see how the forum members respond.  

So I did.   

And you have.  

The general feel that I get from the majority of replies is that there is no need for a separate board and that the search function is not as used as it could be.  I guess there’s the answer…  

….. now, anyone know where I can buy some rocking ‘oss muck?  :D  

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 11:01:37, 03/12/15 »
Just send me your bank details Mel, and for a large fee I will post u some GENUINE rocking horse muck ;D ;D
if u arent completely satisfied, just send me some more money, no quibbles! ;D ;D ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 14:08:13, 03/12/15 »
I think Mel is right about the poor use of the search facility. I must admit I have never used it. I generally just look at current live topics. Maybe everyone should do a search before asking a question under a new heading and if that topic exists, revive it. That would keep all of one subject matter together.

A good example would be in respect of walking poles. "are they any good", or variations on that question, seem to crop up with monotonous regularity and the answers are usually the same.

I wonder if it is possible to put a prominent note on the main board pages asking people to do a search before starting a new topic?

TRs are different as each is a new "topic"

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:13:57, 03/12/15 »
Hi Mel
There is no new board but i have found that rocking horse poo  O0

;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:26:42, 03/12/15 »
Hi Mel
There is no new board but i have found that rocking horse poo  O0

I bet it tastes like [censored]  ::)

;D
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:12:16, 05/12/15 »
A potential reason for the described poor use of the 'search' facility may be the fact that it does not work if you are accessing the site in mobile view. When you have located the maginifiying glass at the bottom of the page and insert a search term it usually comes back as error occurred - you are not allowed to search for posts on this forum.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 09:22:24, 05/12/15 »
A potential reason for the described poor use of the 'search' facility may be the fact that it does not work if you are accessing the site in mobile view. When you have located the maginifiying glass at the bottom of the page and insert a search term it usually comes back as error occurred - you are not allowed to search for posts on this forum.

I have had the same problem Sarah and Rhino trust you to be the one to find rocking horse ****

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 10:23:03, 05/12/15 »
I said there was more chance of finding it Luke  ;D
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 23:13:19, 05/12/15 »
I must admit to being guilty of not using the search, perhaps I should have tried it but in my defence (if there is any to ignorance !) I visit numerous other forums - being of many talents ( ;D ) and they also have the similarly annotated search box that includes the Google logo. In the instances when I've attempted to 'search' for something on those sites - I end up with the full blown Google list of items relating to the search in question and not specifically the results from the particular forum.
Because of those instances I tend to shy away from using them. Clearly not the case here.
So now I know  ;)
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 10:47:24, 12/12/15 »
Sorry for dragging this one up again but I've not had chance to get on the forum properly for ages.

Thanks for the rocking oss poo Rhino  O0   ;D

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 10:56:22, 12/12/15 »
I suppose mine isn't good enough for you then........................ :P
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 11:02:01, 12/12/15 »
I'm a Yorksher lass - I'd give you someone else's bank details  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy