Author Topic: Wild Camping  (Read 6703 times)

angry climber

• Account Closed
Re: Wild Camping
« Reply #30 on: 19:09:28, 01/11/09 »
Carn't see the section where he tells you about making your own gear?

Does that mean its not the original or is backpakinglight the original and the other have ripped it off and added a little bit?
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #31 on: 19:14:09, 01/11/09 »
The other thing that gives the rip off away is the disclaimer in the title that they are nothing at all to do with the long established original backpackinglight

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:28:25, 01/11/09 »
That site is a bit of a rip off from Podcast bob and his original site

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk

Sorry, angry climber, but having looked at the two websites I feel inclined to disagree with you.

The site you quote, the one with the UK spelling of "light" (above) appears to me to be what I call a commercial site, i.e. it is there to sell stuff, whereas the one Theguyuk put a link to, the one with the US spelling of "lite" although it is a UK site, appears to be there to spread information, and not for money making purposes. 

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #33 on: 19:50:48, 01/11/09 »
Sorry, angry climber, but having looked at the two websites I feel inclined to disagree with you.

The site you quote, the one with the UK spelling of "light" (above) appears to me to be what I call a commercial site, i.e. it is there to sell stuff, whereas the one Theguyuk put a link to, the one with the US spelling of "lite" although it is a UK site, appears to be there to spread information, and not for money making purposes. 

My point was that podcast bob has been around for years he has had his site for years and is a really well respected member of the backpacking club. backpacking lite is using a similar name to get people to use the site they have a disclaimer in there title. My only point is that backpacking light is the original.   

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #34 on: 19:57:34, 01/11/09 »
I looked again and the answer is actually in your text. They had to call the rip off site backpacking lite because backpacking light had already been used.

Scarface

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 13:55:47, 02/11/09 »
Just in case anyone is interested i have a virtually new Vango Banshee 200 for sale, used twice in the back garden. Not big enough for a vigorous 6 year old so open to reasonable offers.

Cheers.
'You only get out what you put in...'

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: 15:47:17, 02/11/09 »
Just in case anyone is interested i have a virtually new Vango Banshee 200 for sale, used twice in the back garden. Not big enough for a vigorous 6 year old so open to reasonable offers.

Cheers.

There you go Boothy a bargin to be negotiated 

MRS T

« Reply #37 on: 21:00:17, 04/11/09 »
went out and bought a 2 man tent ,light weight sleeping bags , stove ect. at the end of the summer , we haven`t had a chance to use them yet but hope to next may , we`re hoping to do some coastal walking in cornwall , i haven`t been there in years . i`m i bit worried about the weight though , we mainly go out day walking with small packs 12/14 miles. we have done one 8 mile walk quite strenuous in parts with approx. 27 lb packs and it nearly killed us .
we want to wild camp , may not be possible with too many people about anyway so we might end up in a campsite as our base and go out day walking .

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 21:05:10, 04/11/09 »
went out and bought a 2 man tent ,light weight sleeping bags , stove ect. at the end of the summer , we haven`t had a chance to use them yet but hope to next may , we`re hoping to do some coastal walking in cornwall , i haven`t been there in years . i`m i bit worried about the weight though , we mainly go out day walking with small packs 12/14 miles. we have done one 8 mile walk quite strenuous in parts with approx. 27 lb packs and it nearly killed us .
we want to wild camp , may not be possible with too many people about anyway so we might end up in a campsite as our base and go out day walking .
Have you tried increasing the weight of your pack gradually each time you go out, should help to build up stamina

MRS T

« Reply #39 on: 21:13:25, 04/11/09 »
hi stoke scrambler ,

we haven`t as yet but i think we`ll have to . this was the 3rd day of a walking weekend . the other 2 we`de only had day packs rest of our kit at b/b . third day had to carry full kit with us as we had to catch the bus to get our conection home   ( no time to double back and collect it ). it was a good experiment and it would have been better if we had more time . we had under estimated how much extra time it would take to cover the distance with the extra weight .
will have to allow more time in future !

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 21:38:09, 04/11/09 »
It's all part of the fun of the outdoors, learning from errors and adapting. Might be worth looking at how you can stream line your kit, some of the links in this thread have some useful tips

MRS T

« Reply #41 on: 21:43:51, 04/11/09 »
yes your right ,
will definately do that next time , we hit a major learning curve on that day .will make sure every item is needed in future , if not , it doesn`t go in !!!

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: 23:58:17, 04/11/09 »
usefull tip, every time you back pack when you get home look at the kit you carried and never used. If its not essential survival equipment like torches and whistle etc then don't take it next time.   

the REAL PWSY16

« Reply #43 on: 07:36:05, 05/11/09 »
You wouldnt beleive the weight of my kit when I started out last year!!

Now, Im down to getting all my kit for a 2 or 3 day trip  into a 45l sack, comfortably. And the weight is more than manageable!

I recently bought a new Alpkit Pipedream 800 bag for the princely sum of £75 O0 and that will serve me right through winter - comfort rating -17!! Yet weighs only 1150grms.

Tent, I use a Vango Tempest 200 - loads of room, even for two, HUGE porch, and if set up right it withstands winds well. I'd love a laser comp, but....... :(

I use a Alpkit Slim Aeric or a Gelert 3/4 lentgth mat, and under that a Multimat foil backed 10mm closed cell mat in the colder months. Lots of insulation = toastie warm!!

Stove, I use a Primus Eta Express, and I take dehyrated or often MoD 24hr rat pack boil in the bag, weighty, but full of everything you need to keep you going! And for proper hill cuisune, look what we found food is top notch, though not very nutritious.

Plus my little bits and bobs. I use baby wipes to wash, my poo kit is a trowel, tissues and hand gel, I only take a spoon to eat with......... its al about experimenting and taking out what you dont use and can do without after each trip. Thats when the weight comes down.

Im off on my first winter jaunt this year at the weekend in the Lakes. :D Cant wait!!
“We can only appreciate the miracle of a sunrise if we have waited in the darkness”

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:07:30, 05/11/09 »
Some useful stuff there pwsy16

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy