Author Topic: Betws-y-Coed  (Read 4072 times)

In The Shadow

Betws-y-Coed
« on: 13:48:42, 05/02/10 »
Im going to Betws-y-Coed with the Mrs tomorrow. Does anybody know if there is any worthwhile walking routes you can start from the town itself ?. Just want a few hours walking in countryside. Thanks.

Arenig

• Veteran Member
Re: Betws-y-Coed
« Reply #1 on: 16:11:19, 05/02/10 »
There's a nice walk up to the Llyn Elsi Res in the forrest, the path starts from around the back of the Cotswold shop (the shop next to the hotel not the smaller one).

"YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE"

W.A.S.H.I.S. completer www.walkeryri.org.uk

Welsh Nuttalls completer www.nuttalls.com/mountains/wales

colliecorner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:52:08, 05/02/10 »
There's a nice walk up to the Llyn Elsi Res in the forrest, the path starts from around the back of the Cotswold shop (the shop next to the hotel not the smaller one).

roughly how many miles please ??

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:54:51, 05/02/10 »
If you cross the bridge in the centre of the town ,turn left by Stewart R Cunningham's outdoor shop .After a few hundred yards turn left off the road onto a path that runs alonside the river . You will come to a bridge that crosses the river and leads you back onto the A5 just outside the town ..Not a bad low level short walk on saturday afternoon .Good Luck .
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 17:56:00, 05/02/10 »
I am so jealous I absolutely love Betws Y Coed it one of my top ten places to go and a possible retirement destination for me. 
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:07:39, 05/02/10 »
There is a little book called Walks from Betws-y-Coed, or something close to that, which you should find for sale in the village gift shops and outdoors gear shops.

In The Shadow

« Reply #6 on: 19:35:32, 05/02/10 »
Many thanks for the advice. Looks like it might stay dry as well.  ;D

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:58:30, 07/03/10 »
If you cross the bridge in the centre of the town ,turn left by Stewart R Cunningham's outdoor shop .After a few hundred yards turn left off the road onto a path that runs alonside the river . You will come to a bridge that crosses the river and leads you back onto the A5 just outside the town ..Not a bad low level short walk on saturday afternoon .Good Luck .
I tried this route myself on saturday

From the car park by the railway station we walked across the green and looked up river towards the bridge in the village centre.

The river walk starts outside Stewart R Cunninghams outdoor shop.At the end of the boardwalk you cross a stile into a field .

You are soon back into the trees but this wont stop enjoyment .Trust me .

Looking up stream towards the Miner's Bridge .

The Miner's Bridge .From here you have the option .Either carry on along the path or cross the river and walk back along the road .

We carried on .You gain a bit of height here and soon reach a path that leads you back to BYC .

Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:34:56, 07/03/10 »
Looks a nice walk.  Do like Betws-y-Coed, it's such a good base for North Wales O0

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:01:40, 08/03/10 »
The Afon Llugwy looks a bit low! Thought it might have more water in it at this time of the year.

judi.judi

« Reply #10 on: 21:06:40, 08/03/10 »
Im going to Betws-y-Coed with the Mrs tomorrow. Does anybody know if there is any worthwhile walking routes you can start from the town itself ?. Just want a few hours walking in countryside. Thanks.
I remember many holidays around Betws y coed as a child (few years ago) my parents loved it there i dont think we appreciated the beauty of it as kids but had some wonderful times i remember bed gellit (possibly spelt wrong) near there as well about an alsation that was wrongly killed and he has his own grave etc. Lovely place will go back there sometime im finally realising what we have in england rather than baking in the sun abroad. :)

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:02:29, 08/03/10 »
  im finally realising what we have in england
Careful Judi! The Welsh haven't realised yet that England has annexed Snowdonia. They might get upset and want it back  ;)
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

judi.judi

« Reply #12 on: 22:13:33, 08/03/10 »
Careful Judi! The Welsh haven't realised yet that England has annexed Snowdonia. They might get upset and want it back  ;)
  Hadent realised what i had said i tend to think its all England , i work with a welsh guy so always winding him up especially when we win the rugby hehe.  But it is a lovely part of the country i cant compare to scotland yet but hopefully will be able to soon.  Decided to join the gym today as im not disaplined enough to get fit enough for Ben Nevis so been down today told them what i want to achieve decide this week. I want to be fit enough to enjoy the views etc :)

Starling

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 01:13:10, 09/03/10 »
I remember many holidays around Betws y coed as a child (few years ago) my parents loved it there i dont think we appreciated the beauty of it as kids but had some wonderful times i remember bed gellit (possibly spelt wrong) near there as well about an alsation that was wrongly killed and he has his own grave etc. Lovely place will go back there sometime im finally realising what we have in england rather than baking in the sun abroad. :)

Beddgelert

Don't tell anyone, but the dog thing is a story invented by the Victorians to attract tourism.   ::) .  The village is more likely to be named after a (rather less romantic) 6th century monk. 
Life is a journey... always take the scenic route

judi.judi

« Reply #14 on: 16:11:22, 09/03/10 »

Beddgelert

Don't tell anyone, but the dog thing is a story invented by the Victorians to attract tourism.   ::) .  The village is more likely to be named after a (rather less romantic) 6th century monk.
  That has shattered my childhood holidays  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy