Author Topic: Arthritis, Glucosamine Sulphate & Remedies  (Read 8869 times)

susiej

• Veteran Member
Re: Arthritis, Glucosamine Sulphate & Remedies
« Reply #30 on: 22:05:13, 08/07/10 »
yup I take glucosamine with cod liver oil for all the aches and pains people have described. I have heard form a reliable source that it is necessary to get the high strength stuff in order to have any real effect, also that you need to take it for a good few weeks before you see any proper effects. best of luck  O0
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 22:08:12, 08/07/10 »
A few of you have used the term 'high strength' - what is that exactly?

500mg
1000mg
1500mg
2000mg

?

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 23:04:37, 08/07/10 »
I think 1500mg but I'm no expert, I did hear that 1200 is the minimum for proper effect.
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Gilly62

« Reply #33 on: 23:15:20, 08/07/10 »
This has been really interesting to read - I am due to see my Rheumatologist (wow, I think I have spelt that right at the first attempt :) ) next month, and am going to ask about glucosamine etc.  I am sure I will just get a shrug of the shoulders and told that it 'can't do any harm', but I will let you know!  Its good to read of other peoples experiences of this horrible disease and thanks to madmax for posting this thread  O0
The only way is up!!

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 23:22:31, 08/07/10 »
I'm there in the morning at the doctors n gonna ask

Southern Stroller

« Reply #35 on: 00:03:44, 09/07/10 »
I'm a medical secretary in a hospital.   When I've typed the Rheumatology Clinics the Consultant has often recommended Glucosamine as less damaging to the whole system than the Diclofenac which, as previously mentioned, can cause gastric problems for some.   Didn't work for everyone but many found it helpful.   

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: 02:32:48, 09/07/10 »
I'm a medical secretary in a hospital.   When I've typed the Rheumatology Clinics the Consultant has often recommended Glucosamine as less damaging to the whole system than the Diclofenac which, as previously mentioned, can cause gastric problems for some.   Didn't work for everyone but many found it helpful.

When they recommend have they actually made a prescription for them or have they been told to buy the supplements themselves.

I am not asking for medical in confidence information just an indication of they were prescribed or recommended. 
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 07:57:49, 09/07/10 »
Interesting reading if you want to delve into this further.  Kind of supports the notion that data is at best inconclusive, although I would suggest that some people find it works whilst others don't so it's down to you to try it.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/DSH/glucosamine.html

And note, at the end of the article there are a load of journal references, for further light reading...

In reference to man and dogs's quote
"Anyone over 50 should avoid taking antiinflammatories for a long time (more than 2-4 weeks) unless absolutely neccesary (RA or pain which prevents normal activity) . Those on long term over 50  should also be taking medication to protect the stomach (called a PPI)"

That isn't the advice I've seen.  It actually states those over 65 or at risk of developing GI complications.  There is also no advice as to the length of time people should take such medicines <reference British National Formulary, 59>.  The general advice to Dr's is to start off with those with the best safety profile, and only if that doesn't work then go to a 'stronger' NSAID.

Rob.

« Last Edit: 08:20:00, 09/07/10 by robstubbs »

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:36:25, 09/07/10 »
As well as my weekly Entarcept injection for the RA I also take Diclofenac for the OA but also take Omeprazole to protect the stomach lining from the Diclofenac....what with tablets for high BP and tablets for clearing fluid from my lungs and heart I'm like a walking medicine cabinet.... ;D

Dave

And the important part is you are a walking medicine cabinet not one which sits on its a***. Keep it up O0

Southern Stroller

« Reply #39 on: 12:04:42, 09/07/10 »
In reply to O.C.'s question, the Consultants didn't make out scripts for Glucosamine.  Out of interest, the following is taken from my home copy of the BNF (British National Formulary Sept 08 - the most recent version is at work!): 

"GLUCOSAMINE:  Indications:  Symptomatic relief of mild to moderate OA of the knee (My note:  Yes, it specifically just says "knee")
Cautions:  Impaired glucose tolerance (monitor blood glucose concentration before treatment and periodically thereafter), predisposition to cardiovascular disease (monitor cholesterol), asthma
Contra-indications:   shellfish allergy;  pregnancy
Side effects:  nausea, abdominal pain, indigestion, diarrhoea, constipation, headache, fatigue - less commonly flushing, rash, prutitis, hypercholesterolaemia also reported".   

So there you have it - not without it's risks! 

In the latest catalogue which came this morning from Healthspan in Guernsey, there's an article on Glucosamine - possibly on their website too?   (Haven't looked to see). 

I really think it's a question of horses for courses. 

Madmax Jnr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 12:50:48, 09/07/10 »
Now - I draw the line at taking 'Horses' - sorry.  :)

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: 15:31:39, 09/07/10 »
Thanks Southern Stroller some very interesting findings. I may dig a bit deeper now.  O0   
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 12:07:08, 11/07/10 »
Contra-indications:   shellfish allergy;  pregnancy

I must be reading this wrongly... pregnancy is a contra indication??
Well that would answer a few things...

Personally I have tried most of the non prescripition remedies. I have athritis in my spine and hips.
Ibrofen helps. Co codomaol makes me feel good.. (not sure it gets rid of my pain, but I do feel good  ::)  )
Personally I simply accept agony as the price I pay for a walk.
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

yamyam

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 12:35:32, 11/07/10 »
A interesting thought here, a few years ago all the large drug companies got together and lobbist the goverment to withdraw glucosamine from general sale and make it available from quacks sorry docters only. Petitions etc stopped this from happening.two reasons for this (a) to increase the sale of there own drugs and (b) it would have priced glucosamine out of the reach of many people.I have taken it for many years and so have my dogs,if you go into high street stores you will see a doggy version but at greater cost,there is no difference in the drugs,again playing with peoples affection for there pets they bang the price up.  >:(   
Every journey begins with a single footprint.
Nuts about walking.

Alistair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 20:07:24, 11/07/10 »
I've had around 9 operations and I'm waiting for another one in the next 10 weeks on both knees. I have osteo arthritis in both knees and I have had no response in glucosamine sulphate, I currently get steroid injections in both knees every 3 months and I'm due to get injections of Hyalgen a new natural occuring drug from the USA.

I dont have any relief from the injections and I currently take 50mg-100mg of diclofenac before I go out.

A few body builders of mine recommend Alflutop a natural injection can be bought of ebay  ;D
Thoughts come clearly while one walks.
               Thomas Mann

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy