Author Topic: Closing rural roads to cars.  (Read 1696 times)

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Closing rural roads to cars.
« Reply #1 on: 20:02:59, 02/04/21 »
A short answer from someone, who does not study before he leaps to a conclusion. Agricultural traffic still has to use these lanes now with wheels so wide that they have to stop and even backup to let a pedestrian pass. Also, the combination of mechanical hedge-cutting and the RSPB' strictures on when hedges should be cut most lanes are tunnels between hedges well above head height at most times of the year.
Where else are white van drivers going to reach the outposts of suburban England's more affluent members with their online purchases.

The next thing we will see are the milk collection lorries stranded at the main road junctions and farm tractors having to haul refrigerated bulk tanks to get the nation's pintas.

Then what about the snow ploughs when the new generation of the nation's rural elite is locked into the countryside with their rural paradise with a proper snowfall. Most of the snowploughs are subcontracted to farmers, whose cars are not allowed on these lanes.

I wish you joy with your new idea to keep us out of our countryside.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:25:53, 02/04/21 »
It was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.

I actually think it is a bit of a nightmare situation, where roads are neither closed no open to traffic.

Van Morrison

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:09:50, 02/04/21 »
Given that local traffic, deliveries and farm vehicles would still be allowed, it would not make a hap'orth of difference round here.
As an aside, why do farmers insist on driving such behemoths?  You would think they knew how narrow the lanes were.  Some of our lanes are exactly one big tractor wide.  Mind you, they didn't used to be but the banks were carved by their tyres until they fitted!   I am told it is amazing how far up a car bonnet they can get when driven at speed by some pimply faced youth!
Solvitur Ambulando

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:12:51, 02/04/21 »
Given that local traffic, deliveries and farm vehicles would still be allowed, it would not make a hap'orth of difference round here.
As an aside, why do farmers insist on driving such behemoths?  You would think they knew how narrow the lanes were.  Some of our lanes are exactly one big tractor wide.  Mind you, they didn't used to be but the banks were carved by their tyres until they fitted!   I am told it is amazing how far up a car bonnet they can get when driven at speed by some pimply faced youth!

I don't think it will make much difference either, just more dangerous. Especially for cyclist, as they hurtle along the roads "as it's closed to cars"

In part the reason tractors have got bigger is efficiency, not only can they carry more etc The larger tractors also mean they can now turn more fields to arable, as they have more torque etc
In addition, they are faster on the road. The JCB fasttrac (fast tractor) is called that for a reason.

It actually quite uncommon to see a new "standard size" tractor for sale.

Van Morrison

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:19:07, 02/04/21 »
Why is the little grey Fergie exactly the same wheel width as a dog cart or pony and trap? So many old country ways have been lost to the great tractor width needed to plough more than 2 furrows. As these heavier and wider tractors need more field margins to travel between their operational HQ's, they create more field margin ways, just as those dog carts of yesterday did and provided ways for rural people to annex places of need. (those ways were shared)

Today leisure is important, long distances of the new rural tracts can need only a few yards of boundary to join up with others to provide ways that are unencumbered by white van driver and the procession of 4x4 new suburban rural dweller.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:34:26, 03/04/21 »
I've walked what are classed as 'quiet lanes' in some parts of the UK and it was lovely. Only problem was that with only one exception (a family with a small child) every single group of cyclists I encountered thought the speed limit didn't apply to them and came whizzing round the corners as if in a time trial stage of the TdF.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:08:01, 03/04/21 »
I've walked what are classed as 'quiet lanes' in some parts of the UK and it was lovely. Only problem was that with only one exception (a family with a small child) every single group of cyclists I encountered thought the speed limit didn't apply to them and came whizzing round the corners as if in a time trial stage of the TdF.
Cyclists can't be booked for speeding only for 'furious riding' At least, this is what I was told at the speed awareness course :-[
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy