Author Topic: Why would you buy a GPS that isn't the etrex 20x?  (Read 2216 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Why would you buy a GPS that isn't the etrex 20x?
« Reply #15 on: 16:40:36, 27/11/18 »
I'd never suggest the 10 as it doesn't have any map other than a crude basemap and you can't install other maps to it (well you can but it involves a bit of a faff and you can only have a very limited map).  Pay the extra for the 20 or 30 model  O0
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:49:18, 27/11/18 »
I'd never suggest the 10 as it doesn't have any map other than a crude basemap and you can't install other maps to it (well you can but it involves a bit of a faff and you can only have a very limited map).  Pay the extra for the 20 or 30 model  O0

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying.

I have the Active 10. It has the 'base maps' that give world wide coverage, I have then bought the 'Platinum' SD cards that give 1:10k, 1:25k and 1:50k. Whole of the UK
They don't 'install' onto the 10, they 'run' on the  Active 10.

Exactly the same as the Active 12 or Active 20 (in fact uses the same SD cards)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:27:50, 27/11/18 »
It was in response to the post above mine by DA who suggested the Etrex 10, nothing to do with satmap  ;)
Where there's a will ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:33:03, 27/11/18 »
It was in response to the post above mine by DA who suggested the Etrex 10, nothing to do with satmap  ;)

Apologies - I'd missed a couple of posts when the thread flipped to page 2.

wobblyknees

« Reply #19 on: 22:47:59, 27/11/18 »
Cheap smart phone + free ViewRanger app + Open Street Mapping.

I thought Open Street mapping is incompatible with Viewranger?
If it is compatible, I've wasted money buying Viewranger maps.

I use a Garmin Etrex 20 and find it so easy and practical to use compared to a touchscreen phone. I'd never go touchscreen as I've seen the difficulties others have with them in the rain.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 00:43:50, 28/11/18 »

I thought Open Street mapping is incompatible with Viewranger?

You made me doubt myself there but nope, it's definitely there and freely available. 

Unless I see something different because I'm logged in to VR, the link below will show my track recording overlaid onto Open Street Mapping.

https://my.viewranger.com/track/details/OTEyMDEwMA==

Though I prefer the (also free) VR Landscape map because it shows the contours.  All available for caching for offline use on the phone app free of charge.

Having said that, I still download Ordnance Survey map tiles.

(....sorry  :-[  )

humansnail

« Reply #21 on: 20:26:54, 28/11/18 »

I bought a second hand etrex 20 in June with full uk maps and I love it. It does just what I want it to. I have never struggled to get a gps signal and I have no intention of upgrading. I only use it to reassure myself that I am where I think I am and it does exactly that. The screen is very small but I always have and use a map so that doesn't really make any difference.

Prior to getting my etrex 20 I used viewranger on my phone. I did actually prefer the viewranger software but my phone's gps was terrible and the battery life was also pretty bad.  If I had a good, modern phone with a decent gps I would have been happy to stick with that and buy a power bank of some sort.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy