Author Topic: Why would you buy a GPS that isn't the etrex 20x?  (Read 2218 times)

Reinhardt

I'm looking at buying my first GPS. All roads seem to lead to the etrex 20x, but would you agree?

I'm trying to work out what a more expensive GPS could offer. So far I've not come up with much, but if that's the case surely everybody would have an etrex 20x? But they don't.

For anyone in a similar position I thought this article was helpful https://hikingguy.com/hiking-gear/garmin-etrex-20x-hiking-gps-review/amp/ [nofollow]

I guess my demands are quite modest:
- Traditionally a map&compass guy
- Looking for GPS mainly as a backup, mainly for when visibility is bad
- Typically a UK mountain walker (Lake District, Snowdonia, Cairngorms etc), enjoy going deep in the mountains where possible
- Like to go on 15-20 mile day walks, pre-planned routes with options to shorten/increase the route depending on conditions etc

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Why would you buy a GPS that isn't the etrex 20x?
« Reply #1 on: 18:55:05, 26/11/18 »
Cheap smart phone + free ViewRanger app + Open Street Mapping.

Long battery life, especially if only being used as a backup.
Doesn't need SIM card, WIFI, mobile data - only the GPS function within the phone.
Can program routes in if needed.
Tracks the actual walk you do if needed.
Gives current location on map, including 6, 8 or 10 digit grid ref.
Can download (at a cost) Ordnance Survey map "tiles" of the area you want to walk.
Can be "waterproofed" with an aquapack style pouch (which also "ruggedises" it).

Anyway, that's why I don't have an Etrex 20 or any other kind of official dedicated GPS device  :)

Reinhardt

« Reply #2 on: 18:56:54, 26/11/18 »
Awesome answer  O0

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:57:04, 26/11/18 »
It’s a good buy...you’d have to pay considerably more to get a gps with materially better facilities such as 1 to 25,000 scale ordnance survey maps and a bigger screen.

Looking at sort of use you intend putting it to, I’d suggest still taking paper maps for those occasions when you want to substantially change route...the small screen makes it difficult to plan substantial route changes “on the fly”.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:05:11, 26/11/18 »
The etrex 20x is probably the best value for money gps. I sold mine and bought an Oregon 600 because it is touch screen which is a little bigger than the etrex20 but the battery life is definitely shorter.
It's all uphill from here.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:49:16, 26/11/18 »
SatMap 10
2nd hand £50-£100 with SD Card
Biggest screen size
Scales at
1:1000 (street / pub names level)
1:25,000
1:50,000

All OS mapping

Battery lasts 12-16 hours depending on 'set-up' (I have mine on max screen brighness and 3 second up-dates)
Accurate enough to show which side of the track I have walked on.
Rugged, Robust
Showerproof

From their website :

Of course other devices, from the likes of Garmin and Magellan, do offer topographic mapping on their devices, but they’re cut down maps; the Active 10’s maps appear exactly as they do in paper format, and the familiarity this brings makes it incredibly easy to use.

It’s not all about the maps, however, because the Active 10 is a pretty impressive piece of kit in itself. It’s built around a 240 x 320 resolution colour LCD screen. The chassis is constructed from tough, rugged-feeling plastic. The screen is protected by a thick, clear and replaceable covering. The buttons have been made large enough to be operated while using gloves. And the whole thing is weather-proof with all slots, ports and compartments sealed with rubber flaps

Capabilities

Various power modes for extended battery life
Hibernate mode (100 – 120 hrs)
Advanced Power mode (16 – 24 hrs)
Normal Power mode (8-12 hrs)
Custom Microsoft CE operating system
8.7cm / 3.5 in LCD TFT colour screen (320 x 240 pixels) with variable backlight control
Day/night visible screen with red backlight option for night use
Accuracy down to 2 meters.
Integrated 18mm patch antenna

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:12:59, 26/11/18 »
SatMap 10
2nd hand £50-£100 with SD Card
Biggest screen size
Scales at
1:1000 (street / pub names level)
1:25,000
1:50,000

All OS mapping

Is that full UK mapping, or just for a smallish area? (Not done an exhaustive search..but only second hand Satmap 10 I can find at just under 100 quid...90...with full UK mapping just has 1 to 50,000 mapping.)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:22:21, 26/11/18 »
I've had an Etrex 20 for about 7 years, and also a larger touch screen Garmin.  Far prefer the Etrex for walking as I find the Montana too bulky when walking. I use my Etrex with free and freely available OSM maps and haven't carried paper maps for years, but I do carry a back up as I have ViewRanger on my phone.

Route planning is done on my PC using Garmin's free BaseCamp program which produces routes for both my GPS and VR.

Unlike Satmap it's 100% waterproof ;)
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:32:24, 26/11/18 »
I do not know if the Satmap can zoom but one feature of the Garmin I like is the ability to enlarge the 1:25k OS map to 1cm to 50m without pixellating - great for working your way through villages and farmyards when there are no signs (When using OS maps based on Garmin's Birdeye imagery).
Solvitur Ambulando

Maggot

« Reply #9 on: 20:44:05, 26/11/18 »
This title really only needed the first six words  ;D

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:52:21, 26/11/18 »
OSM can be zoomed in more and more without pixellating and the further in you zoom the more detail appears. It gives street names, pub  and shop names. Ideal for use in built up areas. I have os mapping and osm on my oregon and switch between them as suits.
It's all uphill from here.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:01:30, 26/11/18 »

Is that full UK mapping, or just for a smallish area? (Not done an exhaustive search..but only second hand Satmap 10 I can find at just under 100 quid...90...with full UK mapping just has 1 to 50,000 mapping.)

They will generally come with 1:50,000 but you can zoom into these to 1:25,000 BUT all that happens is that it gets 'bigger' but doesn't show any more detail (the same as a 1:25k paper map has more detail than a 1:50k paper map.

You can buy separate 'county' SD cards, 'Parks Cards' (ie Peak National park), or specific walks (ie, Pennine way, C to C etc)

I have purchased 2 GB cards with all 3 scales (1:10k, 1:25k & 1:50k) - North and South (basically the South is Hull across to Liverpool and everything South, and North is everything North of Hull across to Liverpool) I picked both card up at £65 each but will never need to buy any other maps / cards again.

I can only say I am very impressed with it and the SD cards.

« Last Edit: 21:17:24, 26/11/18 by alan de enfield »

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:17:19, 26/11/18 »
SatMap 10

Rugged, Robust
Showerproof

And the whole thing is weather-proof with all slots, ports and compartments sealed with rubber flaps

Not what I found to my cost.

I now use a garmin montana 600, nice screen size, easy to navigate on the fly but it is quite heavy. I only tend to carry it in winter when I'd be more likely to use it, in summer I just carry a smartphone with viewranger. I still use maps as my main navigation tool.   

Outandabout1

« Reply #13 on: 14:35:19, 27/11/18 »
Hi I'm new to the forum and stumbled upon this thread. I've recently bought etrex 20x been using it for a couple of months now and it's been great been up in the peak district with it and it's never let me down.  I always carry paper maps as well so it's an excellent addition to navigation. Downside ... screen is abit small and Garmin bascamp software took some getting used to but the whole I fully recommend for the price

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 15:38:35, 27/11/18 »
The simpler the device the better, but the current Garmin Etrex units will serve you well, and they are all reliable.
There's the Etrek 10, 20 and 30 models.
The more you pay, the more facilities you get, but if its just a basic no nonsense GPS unit you want, the Etrex 10 looks decent enough, and it comes under that magic £100.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy