Author Topic: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?  (Read 9840 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Waterproof overtrousers or waterproof trousers?
« Reply #30 on: 18:25:12, 28/04/19 »
They'll not go to waste Bob, the day will come when it is p-ing down and you'll be glad of them.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:32:28, 28/04/19 »
Another non-kneeler here  O0   

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:34:27, 28/04/19 »
Rob,  I can't remember ever kneeling down to take a bearing - have I been doing it wrong?
I have. Back to the wind on the Cairngorm plateau, goggles fogging up and great big mittens slipping on the bezel.

As for teaching it, no I don't say they have to kneel. This little addition to the thread has made me have a little think, which is something I like. I am an experienced Mountain Leader, a Course Director for Gold National Navigation Award Scheme, active with Mountain Training assessments, and a competitive orienteerer and coach, and I've never met this as a hard piece of advice.
I can see what the author is getting at in terms of having a stable point to help stop map and compass slipping around when trying to do it. There is also something to be said for reducing overload.     It is something I have done on occasion when the elements are against me. However, as a routine thing I don't see it as necessary. With a suitably-folded map and a good thumb grip holding the baseplate in place while you turn the bezel, it should be fine. A simple check that it hasn't moved before taking off the map should be part of your process anyway.  
You know what the photo reminds me of? Army instructional manuals. Possibly the author is thinking that they'll be needing to juggle map, compass, chinagraph and so on to triangulate a position. Whether actually doing that or just having fun in the hills, if I have to go to that level I'm putting the map on the ground and lying on my belt buckle behind it.  
« Last Edit: 18:55:49, 28/04/19 by archaeoroutes »
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 18:36:59, 28/04/19 »
They'll not go to waste Bob, the day will come when it is p-ing down and you'll be glad of them.

Maybe, I frequently selected not to wear my old waterproof jacket in the rain unless it was too cold preferring the rain to the resulting sweat.

My new jacket seems better on the flat but it's yet to see a hill.

I've yet to want waterproof trousers other than the kneeling thing. Maybe there will come a time.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:48:46, 28/04/19 »
I've yet to want waterproof trousers other than the kneeling thing. Maybe there will come a time.
I'm glad of mine when it's pouring with rain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 18:53:25, 28/04/19 »
It has never entered my mind to kneel down whilst taking a bearing, Rob. It really doesn't matter if you are a degree or two out.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 18:54:17, 28/04/19 »
I'm glad of mine when it's pouring with rain

..or when walking onto the teeth of a sleet laden Orkney gale!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:55:20, 28/04/19 »
Maybe there will come a time.

There will come a time, Rob. And without decent waterproofs, it could be a very miserable and potentially life threatening time.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 18:59:09, 28/04/19 »
I dislike the faff of putting overtrousers on and off. I also dislike the feel of hardshells.
For those reasons I prefer Paramo kit. Wear them all day, they feel nice and soft, they're properly breathable, and they stay more waterproof than Goretex long-term. Oh, and insulating overlayering is the bees knees.

Sadly, the largest waist they do is 44", so not a great help in this thread.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 19:02:57, 28/04/19 »

..or when walking onto the teeth of a sleet laden Orkney gale!

So during the annual mid-summer family bbq then?  ;D  (I am joking - my brief visit to Orkney was very calm)

Rob - staying dry can be very important when wind-chill on wet bodies can mean that you lose heat quickly - mine live in my bag, and like everyone else, I cannot stand them - but they have their uses.

Paul

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 19:17:00, 28/04/19 »
Sadly, the largest waist they do is 44", so not a great help in this thread.

There's not much market for it I think, I have to do all my normal clothes shopping online as there's not that many people my size. Let alone active activities clothing. I've yet to come across anyone as fat as me out walking and indeed only see a few around town.

I'm quite tempted to try losing some weight so more walks (and better clothes) are accessible to me but two things 1) I like my food and 2) I have an expensive amount of clothes in this size which would then be wasted. I'm slowly coming round to the idea, mostly so I can do more walks.

Rob - staying dry can be very important when wind-chill on wet bodies can mean that you lose heat quickly - mine live in my bag, and like everyone else, I cannot stand them - but they have their uses.

I've noticed that while I can tolerate temperatures of 2 degrees (real temperatures) with lots of wind chill in a t-shirt once wet I start to shiver at about 6 degrees. It's always been my core that gets noticeably cold not my legs which just feel a bit numb. Maybe it would be different in Orkney!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 19:32:46, 28/04/19 »
I've noticed that while I can tolerate temperatures of 2 degrees (real temperatures) with lots of wind chill in a t-shirt once wet I start to shiver at about 6 degrees. It's always been my core that gets noticeably cold not my legs which just feel a bit numb. Maybe it would be different in Orkney!
Cold joints can spell real trouble. I spent a (British) summer working in shorts when I was 20ish and by the end my knees were hell. Took a lot of recovery.

Even if your legs don't feel cold, you are still losing heat through them. And that can be dangerous. Of course, it is good for weight loss, so...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 20:02:43, 28/04/19 »
Cold joints can spell real trouble. I spent a (British) summer working in shorts when I was 20ish and by the end my knees were hell. Took a lot of recovery.

Good to know. My knees are a problem for hill walks they take nearly a week to recover already each walk. Will take precautions.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 20:33:18, 28/04/19 »
Also a word of caution on feeling cold vs being cold. I spent quite a bit of time in Finland. One night I was out on the town with friends. It didn't feel cold and I wore a shirt and jeans. Seriously, I was not feeling cold, and that was even before the alcohol. It was about -15, but totally dry. My local friends were quick to correct me on my attire - they wore typical party clothes but had thick coats for when they went outside.

Gadabout Bounder

« Reply #44 on: 21:32:55, 28/04/19 »
A walk very similar to the attached.

10 miles of horizontal rain, the entire walk - was certainly glad of my waterproof trousers yesterday.

Additions were a there and back to Gordale Scar.

'We've spilt the same blood in the same mud'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy