Author Topic: Getting to the Peak district  (Read 1271 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
Getting to the Peak district
« on: 19:06:29, 10/09/19 »
Hi All, I'm planning my first peak district trip. Basically I'm looking for a town with good public transport connections, bus and rail. I'm travelling from Manchester Airport. Is there any direct connections to Peak district towns from the airport? I also like a walk from the doorstep of the hotel where I'd stay but don't mind travelling. Any advice would be greatly valued. Thanks, Henry

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: Getting to the Peak district
« Reply #1 on: 19:41:05, 10/09/19 »
I don't think there are any Direct trains from the Airport but the Dark Peak has a train service from Manchester Piccadilly.

This could put you staying in Hathersage or Edale both of which have a walks from the door (Edale more strenuous ones, but all easier than a lot of the Lakes). Hathersage is a bigger 'town' and you can get the train to Edale for some variety, in fact you can get a train to all of the hope valley.

Dark Peak would give you Kinder Scout, Mam Tor, the great ridge from edale. You have Stanage Edge, Fox Houses from Hathersage.

If you're looking South peak district then Buses seems more likely. I'm sure other will have recommendations on getting around and a good base to start from.

Lee from Doncaster does his walks using public transport so you can get a big choice without driving (which makes the pub post walk pint  more enjoyable)
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:22:12, 10/09/19 »
Here's a link to public transport in the Peak District, with bus and rail maps.  It looks as if the 199 bus serves Manchester Airport.

http://www.derbysbus.info/times/

I've often stayed in Buxton, which has good access to public transport for both the Dark and White Peak.  But if you want to concentrate on the Dark Peak, I think Dazza's suggestion of somewhere on the Hope Valley line would be the best option.

Dread

« Reply #3 on: 21:09:14, 10/09/19 »
Yes, the Hope Valley Line between Manchester Piccadilly and Sheffield. Get off at Edale for Kinder Scout, Hope for the Great Ridge or Hathersage for Stanage Edge. Hathersage is probably the best bet for accommodation and it has decent bus links to other towns.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:29:37, 11/09/19 »
Read your post henry and was about to offer advice to discover that everything I would have said the others have got in with first.
I prefer the Dark Peak personally but both sides offer some lovely walking.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:55:41, 11/09/19 »
I know there is a train from the airport to Manchester Piccadilly where you can change to the train to Edale/Hathersage/Grindleford. I have been on the train to Hathersage a couple of times and stayed at the campsite at North Lees. It is a lovely area with nice walks. Beefy may be able to help with buses to other areas.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:20:03, 11/09/19 »
Edale is the place to be for access to Kinder.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

snaderson

« Reply #7 on: 13:18:26, 11/09/19 »
I'm a big fan on the White Peak so I'd suggest Bakewell. You can get the train/bus to Buxton then switch to the TP (Transpeak) service to Bakewell (see Dovegirl's link). If you buy a Wayfarer ticket https://tfgm.com/tickets-and-passes/wayfarer-adult you can travel to all kinds of places, from Ashbourne to Grindleford, well outside the Greater Manchester area.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:38:10, 11/09/19 »
I'm a big fan on the White Peak so I'd suggest Bakewell. You can get the train/bus to Buxton then switch to the TP (Transpeak) service to Bakewell (see Dovegirl's link). If you buy a Wayfarer ticket https://tfgm.com/tickets-and-passes/wayfarer-adult you can travel to all kinds of places, from Ashbourne to Grindleford, well outside the Greater Manchester area.

That’s certainly tempting...Chatsworth Park is very close, of course, and Bakewell itself is a really pleasant market town.

Lazar

« Reply #9 on: 15:40:42, 12/09/19 »
The Little John in Hathersage is a pub with good rooms a great breakfast and not expensive or the Rambler at Edale is very good.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:31:46, 23/09/19 »
Thanks everyone for replies. I intend to visit both the Dark Peak and White peak on separate trips so this information is helpful. I've decided to stay in Buxton on my first visit getting 199 service from the airport. I also like the idea of doing a walk in the vicinity of Buxton. Has anyone walked Shining tor and Cats Tor from the cat and fiddle road? Is there a bus service to this area from Buxton? Thanks, Henry

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:47:05, 23/09/19 »
The number 58 bus appears to go from Buxton to Macclesfield via the Cat & Fiddle.

Shining Tor/Cats Tor is a nice walk.  Did this as a forum meet a few years ago.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:51:45, 23/09/19 »
Thanks everyone for replies. I intend to visit both the Dark Peak and White peak on separate trips so this information is helpful. I've decided to stay in Buxton on my first visit getting 199 service from the airport. I also like the idea of doing a walk in the vicinity of Buxton. Has anyone walked Shining tor and Cats Tor from the cat and fiddle road? Is there a bus service to this area from Buxton? Thanks, Henry
https://moovitapp.com/index/en-gb/public_transportation-line-58-East_Midlands-2103-855826-563578-0
Solvitur Ambulando

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:52:01, 23/09/19 »
Yes I have walked this area lots of times .
After the Cat and Fiddle heading West drop down the hill short walk to a layby ,
Cars usually park there .
Join the path going N/W.
From here It's about 2k
Bypassing  Stake farm to the Trig Point at Shining Tor .
Follow the path by the dry stone wall heading North downhill to Arrive at Cats Tor.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy